iMac 1440x900 Display Problems

Ask for help with ScummVM problems

Moderator: ScummVM Team

Iago

iMac 1440x900 Display Problems

Post by Iago »

Hey,

I'm having some trouble with running ScummVM in fullscreen on my iMac, which has a resolution of 1440x900.

I did a search and found that someone had been having the same problem on a PC as well. I've tinkered around with a large amount of options but haven't had any success.

Anyone got any tips???

Thanks

Iago

EDIT: Just tested it with some different display resolutions and it hasn't made any difference.
totoro

Post by totoro »

Fullscreen works fine on my iMac G5 at 1440x900.
However, you have to restart ScummVM after selecting "fullscreen" mode for this setting to be applied.
Iago

Post by Iago »

It does actually work in fullscreen. I should have said, it just doesn;t work correctly. The aspect ratio is not widescreen and is squished into the middle of my display. It worked fine on my PC with a higher resoloution but it's just annoying to have the wrong aspect ratio all the time.
Whomper

Post by Whomper »

So is it running in 4:3 and leaving most of your screen blank, or is it stretching the image to fill the screen and looking a bit ugly?
Iago

Post by Iago »

Yeh, it's in 4:3 with black borders on each side of the screen.
Whomper

Post by Whomper »

Iago wrote:Yeh, it's in 4:3 with black borders on each side of the screen.
Sounds good to me! I have a PowerMac G4 hooked up to a cheap Acer 19 inch widescreen TFT, and it just smears the graphics output across the full screen regardless of whether I want it to.

Let's save the dev team some time, and swap machines ;)
Iago

Post by Iago »

Hmmm... I'm gonna say, no. It's not so bad for some games, but Broken Sword for example is letterboxed regardless so it is squished into a teeny tiny rectangle. On my PC, it was good showing every game in widescreen with the correct aspect ratio. Dunno whats stopping my Mac from being able to do this.
Iago

Post by Iago »

Just ran Doom 3 for the first time and this has the same problem, 4:3 ratio with black letterboxing each side of the screen. This tells me that it is probably an option/problem within my iMac rather than something to do with ScummVM.

Anyone know of anything to solve this?

It's really annoying as it kind of takes the wide out of my widescreen.
Kroc

Post by Kroc »

For doom 3, check your .cfg files in the Doom 3 installation folder, and you can change the customheight & customwidth attributes to set the res and aspect correctly in Doom3 / Quake 4. (Google for a doom 3 console guide)

The only bug I've seen with Scumm and Mac fullscreen is that setting any 2x vidmode and going fullscreen crashes scumm because 480*2 > 900. A warning beforehand would be much appreciated :)
Iago

Post by Iago »

That doesn't apply because it is the Mac version and doesn't have any of those files. I'm pretty sure it is a problem with my Mac itself, someone HELP!
philipp

Post by philipp »

got a macbook pro and have the same problem. nobody found a solution to it up to now?
Last edited by philipp on Fri Sep 14, 2007 11:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jimbob

Post by Jimbob »

Iago wrote:Just ran Doom 3 for the first time and this has the same problem, 4:3 ratio with black letterboxing each side of the screen. This tells me that it is probably an option/problem within my iMac rather than something to do with ScummVM.

Anyone know of anything to solve this?

It's really annoying as it kind of takes the wide out of my widescreen.
For Doom you can get a startup window to select the widescreen display modes. I think you hold down the ⌥ or maybe the ⌘ key when starting Doom 3. I guess you've patched it to the latest release (1.3.1a, I think)?

It still runs like crap on my iMac though .... annoying pauses when approaching doors that aren't there on the PC/Linux version.
philipp

Post by philipp »

was actually thinking bout the problem with the ugly dark sidebars running scummVM fullscreen :?:
Tanooki

Post by Tanooki »

I'm trying to do something similar, but for different reasons. I -just- got maniac mansion to work on ScummVM, and I was planning to sit down in front of my TV with a mouse and play it.

Problem is I have a widescreen monitor. It's default is 1440 x 900, so obviously stuff looks odd on my TV. The solution when watching movies? I change the resolution to 800 x 600, so it looks stretched out on my monitor, but looks perfect on my TV.

ScummVM, however, is too clever. When I tell it to do fullscreen, it can tell my monitor's widescreen, so it automatically puts the black bars on either side, causing the game to look horrible on my TV.

I've played with settings and searched threads, but I can't figure out if there's a way around this.
*edit* is the wiki page suggesting my monitor's screwing with the image?
martinlk

Post by martinlk »

It's most likely your monitor. It's displaying a 4:3 images (like 640x480 or whatever) stretched in order to make use of the entire screen. Most monitors do this, which sucks. Try looking in the OSD for a way to change this behavior.