Suggestions for future versions of Scumm VM DS

Subforum for discussion and help with ScummVM's Nintendo DS port

Moderator: ScummVM Team

LordHoto
ScummVM Developer

Post by LordHoto »

agentq wrote:Kyrandia works, but it has a ~30 second pause at the start while it loads
that's the same for most small devices atm, I have the same on my PocketPC:
Vurtual

Post by Vurtual »

agentq wrote:Kyrandia works, but it has a ~30 second pause at the start while it loads.
Is this pause only once at the beginnig or also when you save the game?
I'd really love to play Kyrandia.. please hand over the Beta Release :D
Mir

Post by Mir »

Hi I'm here again

I want to know it it would be possible to run hollywood monsters (a spansih game made by pinacle studios in the style of monkey island) in my ds or in my mac.

Also I'd like to play Gabriel Knight or Discworld.

Thank you so much
clem

Post by clem »

Mir wrote:Hi I'm here again

I want to know it it would be possible to run hollywood monsters (a spansih game made by pinacle studios in the style of monkey island) in my ds or in my mac.

Also I'd like to play Gabriel Knight or Discworld.

Thank you so much
http://scummvm.org/compatibility.php
agentq
ScummVM Porter

Post by agentq »

Members of the ScummVM team are currently in negotiation with the creators of the Discworld games in order to get the source code. If this happens, then Discworld will be added to ScummVM, although it will take a while.

As for other games, you would need to get the source code to the game, or it would need someone with the skill to reverse engineer and reprogram it, and this is an incredibly long process. Expect a suitably skilled person to take over a year of work. I don't think it's going to happen.
agentq
ScummVM Porter

Post by agentq »

There's an update on Kyrandia & Simon 2. Kyrandia's pause on startup has been reduced to 10 seconds now, which I see as perfectly acceptable. It's not something I did, one of the other developers must be working on it.

I also got Simon 2 to work, although there are still some memory issues to work out.
MetroidPrime

Post by MetroidPrime »

Great news. Can't wait to try it :D
LordHoto
ScummVM Developer

Post by LordHoto »

agentq wrote:Kyrandia's pause on startup has been reduced to 10 seconds now, which I see as perfectly acceptable.
That's something I commited just to the HEAD (0.10.0svn) though, so don't expect it to be faster in builds of branch-0.9.0 (will be released in some time as 0.9.1), then again 0.9.0 didn't have an official DS build, so no idea if 0.9.1 will have one.
agentq
ScummVM Porter

Post by agentq »

The DS port was not official as of the release of 0.9.0. I am planning to do a build for 0.9.1. Do you know what the timescale is for the 0.9.1 release? And could the Kyrandia fix go into 0.9.1? It would help me a lot.
LordHoto
ScummVM Developer

Post by LordHoto »

Well the main problem is that the Resource loading in 0.9.0 is quite a bit different than the one in 0.10.0svn, so it would need some extra work, also some things from the FilesystemNode API are missing (FilesystemNode::name), of course we could just port part ot the changes, but that would be more work, I'll have to look at it and can't promise anything about that.
jelbo

Post by jelbo »

I would like to see the option for the zoomed view to be exactly twice the size as the original. I can zoom around with L + A/B now, but I can't get the view to be pixel perfect 200%.

Here's an image that shows the pixel distortion when not using that:

When viewing around (moving the screen using mouse hover) the distortion is especially noticable (at least to me it is). :wink:
Banjo

Post by Banjo »

Again, my heartfelt thanks go to Agentq for making this port (it's what convinced me to get a DS in the end!). I'm using a G6, so I can't have voices... but hey, if I want the 'full PC' experience, I'd play these games on a PC. When I bought Broken Sword for my GBA, I didn't expect the same from it either... and just being able to play Monkey Island, DOTT, etc. on a handheld is simply awesome!

As far as what I'd personally like to see in the future of ScummVM DS, my one single wish, more than anything else, is Sierra AGI game support (virtual keyboard, however, I'm not fussy!). I know this is dependant on what's going on with the 'main' ScummVM releases and would require the addition of an extra interface for the keyboard-deficient DS, but thanks to the touchscreen, I can see this happening! Really, other things like the afore-mentioned zoom 'fixes', Kyrandia support, better M3/G6 support, etc. would all be nice, but I'd honestly be more than happy just to play Space Quest and Manhunter from start to finish on the DS! (and hey, the Manhunter games hardly require ANY typing!).

Cheers,
Banjo
agentq
ScummVM Porter

Post by agentq »

jelbo, the scaling used in ScummVM DS is not quite a simple pixel scale, there is an effect I use to give a partial bilinear effect, but it doesn't work too well when the image is scaled up, it's mostly effective when it's scaled down.

It would be quite easy to implement a fixed 200% scale option. I'll see if I can stick it in the next version.

Banjo, I've already played with the agi engine, and it seems to work fine with ScummVM DS, although the engine still has some work to be done on it. I have already made a keyboard for ScummVM, just press Y to show/hide it or hit the keyboard icon on screen (it appears in certain places). It's used to name savegames and a few other things.
jelbo

Post by jelbo »

agentq wrote:jelbo, the scaling used in ScummVM DS is not quite a simple pixel scale, there is an effect I use to give a partial bilinear effect, but it doesn't work too well when the image is scaled up, it's mostly effective when it's scaled down.
I see. Yeah, the scaling down method looks fantastic, and that's the view I look at the most :)
It would be quite easy to implement a fixed 200% scale option. I'll see if I can stick it in the next version.
That would be great!
Banjo

Post by Banjo »

agentq wrote: Banjo, I've already played with the agi engine, and it seems to work fine with ScummVM DS, although the engine still has some work to be done on it.
AWESOME! I am soooo looking forward to using this to play AGI games! Thanks! :D

Cheers,
Banjo

EDIT: So (and I know this perhaps won't be for a while! :) ) will there eventually be another build 'format' for AGI games? (ie. 'A' for LucasArts, 'B' for BASS and FOTAQ, 'C' for Simon/Gobliins and 'D' for AGI) .