Suggestions for future versions of Scumm VM DS

Subforum for discussion and help with ScummVM's Nintendo DS port

Moderator: ScummVM Team

caw

Suggestions for future versions of Scumm VM DS

Post by caw »

Hey,

I know everyone here must love this program and be grateful to agentq for developing it for the DS. I guess many of us here are probably not coders and cannot give any help to the project in that way, but maybe a place to discuss what we would like to see in new versions would be of assistance to those doing the real work?

To start the ball rolling my 'dream feature' would be to allow the zoomed view on the top screen to be zoomed out to the same level as the scaled, standard view.

This would allow you to play games with one screen on unscaled mode (for ease of text reading) and one zoomed right out. You could easily swap between a screen suited to moving and exploring and one suited to conversations.

It would be lot simpler than going into menu screens, and you wouldn't miss any text from character's replies with a fully zoomed-out top screen.

What would you like to see in the new versions?

(While I'm here :wink: I would also like to see a more Nintendo-y, DS specific front-end Scumm menu, (without the text-scaling issues) which is maybe something I could help out with?)
MetroidPrime

Post by MetroidPrime »

My wishes for the next version are Simon 2 support (and maybe Kyrandia 1) and full G6Lite support.

Thanks for your efforts agentq, it's greatly appreciated :)
agentq
ScummVM Porter

Post by agentq »

I have made some progress with Kyrandia 1, although there are some more issues to work out.

Simon 2 I haven't looked at yet, but it looks quite similar to Simon 1 so there may be something simple that is preventing it from working.

Zooming the view all the way out is something very easy to implement, and the main reason for not allowing it before is just that it would get impossible to tell which screen was the zoomed one, if you'd been playing with the switch screens button.

They are quite different. The zoomed one can display any scale and scrolls around when the character speaks, and the other one only supports scaled-to-fit-the-screen mode, or unscaled mode, and doesn't scroll around automatically. These different capabilities are a bit arbitrary and don't really make a huge amount of sense, and are mainly there because I added features to it gradually over a long time and it eventually became the mess that it is now!

I suppose I could indicate which screen was which by flashing an icon up when you switch them over.

As for the text scaling issues in the frontend, I have tried running the frontend unscaled, but the fonts are too large and many of the buttons have their text cut off. So really, all that would be needed is a new font.

I would be interested to hear what other ideas people have for what they want to see in the future for ScummVM DS.
Vurtual

Post by Vurtual »

@agentq: First of all, I LOVE your port. It was the main reason for me to buy an NDS - thanx so much :D

I have a similar suggestion to that one "caw" already mentioned. It would be great if one could switch the "Unscaled lower screen" function just by pushing a button rather than entering the menu. Maybe by pressing L+R simultaniously?
animall

Post by animall »

I also love the port dearly, though it needs more support for the m3 o' course. Interface-wise, everything is super swell, except for the obvious tweaking that needs to be done. Personally i'd like to see the R button switch the top and bottom screen, which would be respective to the left or right handed modes. Since both shoulder buttons do the same thing as far as i know, this would be nice since i'm often switching between the two.
Mir

Post by Mir »

Hi,

I guess if it will be possible in a future (far or soon) play monkey island 3 or broken sword in nintendo ds with scummvm. I think it will be difficult but I want to know if it could be possible.

Thank you, and other game I'd like to play in my DS is The Dig :?:
DenGladeBagaren

Post by DenGladeBagaren »

i hoe you can find some use of the drivers for g6 lite that are released or are they totally use useless inbin format?
agentq
ScummVM Porter

Post by agentq »

On http://scummvm.drunkencoders.com I wrote:
There is no support for Full Throttle, The Dig, or The Curse of Monkey Island because of memory issues. There simply is not enough RAM on the DS to run these games.
And yes DenGladeBargaren, the drivers in binary format are useless. Besides, I am not working on the fat library. Other people are doing that, and I'm doing ScummVM.
MetroidPrime

Post by MetroidPrime »

So when can we approx. expect the next verson of ScummVM DS?
agentq
ScummVM Porter

Post by agentq »

I'm hoping to do a version whenever the ScummVM team release version 0.9.1. I'm not sure when that will be.
MetroidPrime

Post by MetroidPrime »

So you have to wait until they release a new version so you can too?
agentq
ScummVM Porter

Post by agentq »

I don't really know, but probably.

I could definately release a beta version before the release though.
MetroidPrime

Post by MetroidPrime »

Then release the beta cause I'm so anxious :D

Could you get Simon 2 and Kyrandia to work?
agentq
ScummVM Porter

Post by agentq »

Kyrandia works, but it has a ~30 second pause at the start while it loads. Simon 2 I haven't looked at yet.

I'm not sure whether I'm going to have much spare time to work on ScummVM in the next few weeks, as other things are taking up my time at the moment.

EDIT: I don't have a suitable beta to release yet, there are a few other things I've got to work on first.
MetroidPrime

Post by MetroidPrime »

OK, looking forward to it whenever it comes :D