Loom Audio

Ask for help with ScummVM problems

Moderator: ScummVM Team

lanithro

Loom Audio

Post by lanithro »

I can't get any of the audio in loom to work. This is my first time using scumm.If someone could please help me out it would be appriciated.
eriktorbjorn
ScummVM Developer

Re: Loom Audio

Post by eriktorbjorn »

lanithro wrote:I can't get any of the audio in loom to work. This is my first time using scumm.If someone could please help me out it would be appriciated.
There are several different versions of Loom, but I guess the most likely one to have sound problems is the 256-colour PC version.

In that one, all the sound is stored in one long (almost 55 minutes) audio track on the CD. ScummVM should be able to play it from the CD, at least on some platforms, but a more convenient way is to convert it to an MP3, Ogg Vorbis, or FLAC file, as described in the README file.

In this case, you would end up with one file called track1.mp3, track1.ogg, or track1.flac, depending on which compression method you use.
lanithro

Post by lanithro »

I saved it on my harddrive and converted the sound to MP3,what do I do now?
eriktorbjorn
ScummVM Developer

Post by eriktorbjorn »

lanithro wrote:I saved it on my harddrive and converted the sound to MP3,what do I do now?
Putting the resulting track1.mp3 in the same folder as the other data files (000.lfl, 901.lfl, etc.) should work. The most common error at this stage is misnaming the file track 1.mp3 or track2.mp3. It has to be track1.mp3.
aryah

Post by aryah »

hello! Just finished playing Loom ('Talkie' version - thats the DOS CDROM ver from 1992, right - only the audio was extracted into an .mp3), with the newest scummvm (0.9 win (ill probably try GNU/linux ver too) - downloaded today) - it worked pretty much great, but thought to report a couple of minor issues, if this is of any help.

Those minor issues were
- when the shepparts block my path, i lost sound during the initial conversation. This might be my mistake though; something fell around my F5-F10 keys at that point:) Probably not worth checking, but thought Id mention it for completeness

-at crystalgard, lost synch of txt to sound completely during the initial conversation

-in the realm of the shepards, before the sheep came out, there was a strange graphics glitch - an orthogonal white line, standing in the middle of the field.

As this list demonstrates, the game actually worked perfectly! And is one of the best adventures I ever saw (if it were only Grim Fandango-like larger ;) ). Great Job guys! And deepest thx for the fun your work enabled me, and will enable me still! Currently I cannot donate anything (jobless postcommunist-country student here:) ) but as soon as the cicumstances change, youre surely on the top of my list for a donation!!
fingolfin
Retired

Post by fingolfin »

Bug reports should go to our bug tracker (as stated in the forum rules), in particular, one separate report for each issue. Here in the forums, they'll just get lost and ignored, which would be kind of a pity... :-/
Hazekel

Post by Hazekel »

This is twice that I have read about how "easy" to convert the file to MPG and that the instructions are in the readme file, but perhaps my readme files are old. I have an ISO on CD, but my new XP computer does not seem to recognize this. I checked the readme and it does not say anything about MPGs. Can someone tell me how to do this or point me to the correct readme file?
Hazekel

Post by Hazekel »

Sorry, but I am new to XP and only occasionally needed SCUMMVM before, so bear with me. Where can I find this LAME program? Is it free? I have Googled but get back many different shareware items. Which one is supported by SCUMMVM?
eriktorbjorn
ScummVM Developer

Post by eriktorbjorn »

Hazekel wrote: I have an ISO on CD, but my new XP computer does not seem to recognize this.
I may be misunderstanding, but are you saying that your original Loom CD contains an ISO file? That would be very odd...
Hazekel wrote: Where can I find this LAME program? Is it free?
LAME is free, but someone else will have to tell you where to find a Windows version, as I have no idea myself. But all LAME will do for you is to convert an audio file (e.g. a WAV file) to an MP3 file. Any MP3 encoder could do that for you. At least as long as it produces an MP3 file with fixed bit rate. I do believe that's still a requirement. (As mentioned in the README, ScummVM does support other forms of compressed audio as well, though.)
Hazekel

Post by Hazekel »

Okay. I have managed to convert the file to MP3 and placed in the correct directory. However, when I play the sound is not in sync. The words are not matched correctly. I have also converted the files to WAV in hopes that may make a difference, but I am lost at this point.

Perhaps it has to do with the mhz with which you convert the file? My options range from PCM 44, 1200 Hz 16 bit Stereo down to PCM 8, 0000 Hz 8 bit mono.

Please help.
eriktorbjorn
ScummVM Developer

Post by eriktorbjorn »

Hazekel wrote:Okay. I have managed to convert the file to MP3 and placed in the correct directory. However, when I play the sound is not in sync. The words are not matched correctly. I have also converted the files to WAV in hopes that may make a difference, but I am lost at this point.

Perhaps it has to do with the mhz with which you convert the file? My options range from PCM 44, 1200 Hz 16 bit Stereo down to PCM 8, 0000 Hz 8 bit mono.

Please help.
Well, the audio/video sync in Loom isn't perfect even under the best of circumstances, but it sounds like you mean it's completely wrong. I don't think the sample rate/size make any difference, except on the size and quality of the resulting MP3 file.

I think ScummVM expects MP3 files to use constant bit rate, rather than variable bit rate. Perhaps that's the problem?
Hazekel

Post by Hazekel »

Well, I have not selected variable bit rate so it should be constant, unless the wav itself is wrong (but it worked perfect on my old machine). Now I did notice that there is suppose to be 4 minutes and 32 seconds of silence at the beginning of the WAV/MP3 file, but in playing the files on my Media Player, the talking begins at 4:28. Still, the voices I hear are more than four seconds off. They seem more like four minutes off.
eriktorbjorn
ScummVM Developer

Post by eriktorbjorn »

Hazekel wrote:Now I did notice that there is suppose to be 4 minutes and 32 seconds of silence at the beginning of the WAV/MP3 file,
There's not supposed to be. Maybe it corresponds to the CD's data track, but I don't see why the program you used to rip the track from your CD would include that. Is it possible to tell it explicitly that you're only interested in the audio track?
Kaminari

Post by Kaminari »

The audio track has a pregap of about 5 minutes. I know of one ISO rip (the infamous Underdogs one) which for some reason merges the pregap with the audio track, which is very wrong. It looks like you're using such a rip. Tss tss. ScummVM doesn't support illegal copies.
Hazekel

Post by Hazekel »

Well, it was an upgrade from my floppies. I don't know where I got the upgrade from but it was a single audio file on CD. Are you telling me that if I edit my wave to eliminate the four minutes of silence it should work right?