PS2: ScummVM 0.8.0 RC3

Subforum for discussion and help with ScummVM's PlayStation 2 port

Moderator: ScummVM Team

kaysow

Post by kaysow »

now i've finished Sam & Max as well.

nothing to report. it worked great =)

EDIT: i'll try to figure the dvd-thingy out then...

EDIT: did i mention about my first playthrough with RC1 and FT that the lip-movement went on longer than the actual lines pretty much all the time? i hadn't compressed anything back then, but i'll try that next.
niemand0815

Post by niemand0815 »

hy,
i started trying out the scumvm port on my ps2 today.
i used the batchfile to create a iso file.
when putting that file onto my hdd for hdloader (i didnt want to waste cdr media for testing) the program told me that it can not find IOMANX.IRX.
when i burn the same iso onto cdr then it works.

any idea on how to fix that? having scumm load from hdl would be perfect for me, as i avoid having any media in my ps2 as often as possible.

EDIT:
one thing which may be the cause:
i checked the elfs of the 0.7 port which works from hdl and all irx references were without any "cdrom0:" reference. i then checked the new elf and all irx files are referenced as "cdrom0:". maybe that is the cause for the failure to load with hdl?
lavosspawn
ScummVM Developer

Post by lavosspawn »

@niemand0815
Must be a bug in hd loader, and I have no idea how to work around that.

Also, that 0.7.0 port wasn't done by me, I have no idea how it works.
Do you have a URL of that port, if its sourcecode is available?

@kaysow:
Very nice. :)
FT actually worked pretty well here when it's mp3 compressed. You should give it a try. :)
niemand0815

Post by niemand0815 »

here is the link to the "old" unofficial port:
http://www.volny.cz/molej/ps2/

nevertheless, it seems there are only a few modules loaded by this.
lavosspawn
ScummVM Developer

Post by lavosspawn »

cdrom0:/ is only missing because it builds the pathes at runtime, not at compile time...

Are you really absolutely sure that this port works with HDL?

Besides, I'm not quite convinced yet that I want to go through all the trouble to work around HDL bugs just to save 20 cent on a CD-R........
MacBoehm

Post by MacBoehm »

About my previous problem:

I figured out that it was the USBD.IRX which caused the problem.

On my first attempt I used an old version (24kb) which worked fine on my CDR-RC1-Disc. On the DVDRW RC2 I used a newer version (36kb GT4 I think) which didn't work.

Replacing the file solved my problem. It is running fine now.

Btw. DVD+RW work great on my console (SCPH-30004R) while CDRW don't work at all.
niemand0815

Post by niemand0815 »

lavosspawn wrote:cdrom0:/ is only missing because it builds the pathes at runtime, not at compile time...

Are you really absolutely sure that this port works with HDL?
yes, im 100% sure it works (i just directly tested it)
Besides, I'm not quite convinced yet that I want to go through all the trouble to work around HDL bugs just to save 20 cent on a CD-R........
if you have no idea how to fix it this should not be a priority 1 problem.

anyways it would be much better if you could implement native hdd support for scumm with running of the elf from mc or hdd instead of running cd's from hdl ;-)
funetik

Post by funetik »

I've tried the same with HDadvance and no joy. Exactly the same error. I can't see a workaround being too tricky (i hope), so i'll look into it myself and tell you if I have any luck. I know this isn't priority one, so don't think i'm disappointed, I just wish I could try it out :D

Thanks very much for the great work. I'm looking forward to trying out the PSP port in the next couple of days (whenever the UPS guy turns up).
kaysow

Post by kaysow »

"the dig" in progress here with rc2. i don't have an internet connection at my place, and i always forget what to do when i'm at the tomb-part. so i've been stuck, and havent actually finished it yet. but it's a bit choppy in some dialogues, which might be credited to my crappy ps2, which have gone through a lot in the years. i've compressed the audio to mp3 (voices and music), but the talking-animations still go on for too long. maybe that too is just my old machine at work, i dunno =/ it started right after the first part on the asteroid.
mac_es

Post by mac_es »

FYI,
2005-11-16 23:53 lavosspawn

* backends/ps2/: asyncfio.cpp, asyncfio.h, fileio.cpp,
systemps2.cpp, systemps2.h: some ps2 changes, added HDD support

2005-11-16 23:52 lavosspawn

* backends/ps2/: eecodyvdfs.c, eecodyvdfs.h,
iop/CoDyVDfs/common/codyvdirx.h, iop/CoDyVDfs/iop/cdtypes.h,
iop/CoDyVDfs/iop/codyvdfs.c, iop/CoDyVDfs/iop/codyvdfs.h,
iop/CoDyVDfs/iop/fiofs.c, iop/CoDyVDfs/iop/fiofs.h,
iop/CoDyVDfs/iop/imports.lst, iop/CoDyVDfs/iop/irx_imports.h,
iop/CoDyVDfs/iop/rpcfs.c: a new cd/dvd filesystem driver for the
ps2...
HDD support, new DVD driver? maybe a work in progress for COMI?

It is quite impressive how lavosspawn is porting scummvm!!!

Thanks, and waiting for a RC3
lavosspawn
ScummVM Developer

Post by lavosspawn »

the cdvd thing is not ComI related, no. In fact, it doesn't make any difference at all to the user.

There have been some changes, but the only one worth noticing is HDD support. Works quite well, and even ComI runs perfectly fine from hdd. (from cd/dvd it's as broken as it used to be and I doubt that it's going to change any time soon. You also have to keep in mind that ComI was never meant to played completely from CD; it'd always install stuff to the HDD)

Anyways, I still need to do some testing and I won't be at home this weekend, either.
I suppose I'll release RC3 on monday or tuesday.
Stay tuned :)
mac_es

Post by mac_es »

the cdvd thing is not ComI related, no. In fact, it doesn't make any difference at all to the user.

There have been some changes, but the only one worth noticing is HDD support. Works quite well, and even ComI runs perfectly fine from hdd. (from cd/dvd it's as broken as it used to be
Bad news, but that's the live!
and I doubt that it's going to change any time soon.
I see, It would be a lot of work, and I really doubt even is possible to cache all the necesary data whithout modifying all the scummvm code. It is not worth all the work... :cry:
You also have to keep in mind that ComI was never meant to played completely from CD; it'd always install stuff to the HDD)
At least from HDD is playable :P
Anyways, I still need to do some testing and I won't be at home this weekend, either.
I suppose I'll release RC3 on monday or tuesday.
Great! 8)
lavosspawn
ScummVM Developer

Post by lavosspawn »

Done. :)

Again, I modified the first message in this thread, it now links the RC3.
The only real change is the HDD support.

Happy testing. =)
SithlordDK

Post by SithlordDK »

How can I create a ScummVM DVD for PS2 (without this "not working for DVD" cd-tool thing)?
Last edited by SithlordDK on Wed Nov 23, 2005 1:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
firehawk

Post by firehawk »

Is it possible to force NTSC on a PAL console?
And I couldn't figure out how to run games from HDD? Can someone give me a hand?