In-jokes and references

General chat related to ScummVM, adventure gaming, and so on.

Moderator: ScummVM Team

djsouza

In-jokes and references

Post by djsouza »

The line "A Third Shadow is Nigh" that is said in Sam & Max Hit the Road, is a reference to what, exactly?
glokidd

Post by glokidd »

its from LOOM, at the end of the game, i think is the last thing Hetchel says
Kaminari

Post by Kaminari »

In the early demo of The Dig, Boston Low tells Dr. Brink "This sure doesn't look like the inside of that asteroid", which I keep hearing as "This sure doesn't look like the Lincoln Tunnel, Sam" :)

Also, at the beginning of Monkey Island 3, if you let Wally ramble on, one of his lines says "I feel like I could TAKE ON THE WORLD!"

And of course, there's the whole Cobb affair between Loom and Monkey Island.
glokidd

Post by glokidd »

or in MI, after getting fired out of the fettucini bros cannon. "Im Bobbin, are you my mother" :)
Dark-Star

Post by Dark-Star »

While we're at it:
The classical in-joke everybody knows: The gas canister in Zak McKracken: When you try to pick it up, that character says "This is used in another game" or something similar. The other game is, of course, "Maniac Mansion", where countless people have spent countless nights looking for fuel to power the chainsaw...
Florob

Post by Florob »

AFAIK this is not Zak but DOTT, but it may be in both or course.

I'm selling these fine leather jackets BTW
Dark-Star

Post by Dark-Star »

I know for certain that it's in Zak (in the youth hostel on Mars). Do you remember where in DOTT the canister is? I don't remember seeing it there, but then I didn't play DOTT as long and often as I played Zak, so I might just have missed it...
clone2727
Retired

Post by clone2727 »

In the Goodsoup Crypt (CoMI) there are two references:

1. If you try to go through the crack by Mort, Guybrush will get his hand caught in the crack (like Brink from The Dig)

2. You can crawl up the crack in the wall by the entrance. That leads to the stump from MI1.

Also, in CoMI you can "use" the water on Blood Island 30 times to see Guybrush's death from MI1. Even more, you can type in "lapostal" at the cannon scene (the code from Dark Forces) to activate "Unlimited Cannon Balls".

In Indy3, the statue from Maniac Mansion is in Castle Brunwald. There is also a car with no gas in Indy3.
clem

Post by clem »

I once read that there is an animation in FOTAQ where a character morphs into different shapes, one of them being indy

wouldn't know where exactly that happens though

clem
Tooplex

Post by Tooplex »

In MI2 in the costume shop you see the head of sam and max in the forground on the far right its very funny!
nevered

Post by nevered »

clem wrote:I once read that there is an animation in FOTAQ where a character morphs into different shapes, one of them being indy

wouldn't know where exactly that happens though

clem
that would be the spirit on the island at the end (can't remember what it's called)

also: in almost every lucasarts game, there are always figurines shaped like sam&max.

and in the end credits of Sam&max, the little puppets scrolling across the bottom are shaped like characters from other games.
clone2727
Retired

Post by clone2727 »

nevered wrote:also: in almost every lucasarts game, there are always figurines shaped like sam&max.
In Indy3, in Indy's office on the right there is a Sam & Max Statue.

In MI1, on Monkey Island, one of the cannibal's statues by the Monkey Head is of Sam and Max.

In addition, the "Hall of Oddities" can be seen in the Carnival of the Damned from CoMI (well, the text refering to it anyway).
djsouza

Post by djsouza »

There's a guy at Snuckey's that looks incredibly like Bernard from DOTT.

Do you guys remember any more in-jokes and references in Sam & Max: Hit the Road? Any obscure inside joke people usually miss when playing for the first time?
dreammaster
ScummVM Developer

Post by dreammaster »

A good website for game easter eggs is www.eeggs.com - it lists another easter egg for Sam & Max in that the last bullet fired at the start of the game actually has Max's name on it, but it goes by so fast, you can only see it if you're quick with the PrintScreen button. :lol:[/url]
gord

Post by gord »

and lets not forget the obvious one from comi, namely the stage light switching puzzle showing a picture of max.