PlayStation 2 Port

Subforum for discussion and help with ScummVM's PlayStation 2 port

Moderator: ScummVM Team

renatoriolino

PlayStation 2 Port

Post by renatoriolino »

Hi all,

Any news about PlayStation 2 Port??

I haven't found it on downloads page, just PSP version.

Thanks,

Renato
sev
ScummVM Lead

Post by sev »

We're waiting port maintainer to build it for us, but he seems to be superbusy.

Eugene
rcrocha

Post by rcrocha »

I'm also anxiously waiting the PS2 post. Please Eugene, post a reply to this topic when it's ready for download.

Thanks,

Rogerio
landocalrissian

Post by landocalrissian »

Will the PS2 port have hard drive support?
lavosspawn
ScummVM Developer

Post by lavosspawn »

Sorry about the delay.

I posted the first release in the forum in
this thread.
Please post all further feedback and reports into that thread.

@landocalrissian:
No, the harddisk is not supported. The main reason for that is that I'd have to write a generic tool that's able to install all kinds of games to the HDD.
That's a little complicated, as there're literally hundreds of adventure game collections and each has the files with different names and in different directories. Additionally, games (like ComI) may span on several CDs, etc. So it'd be quite a lot of work. And a HDD in the PS2 isn't *that* common either.
I don't mean to say that it'll never be supported. But it's not top-priority right now.
Carnivol

Post by Carnivol »

In 'simple' words (things aren't simple in reality, but on paper, it can be simple)

You could basicly create partitions on your HD for each disc/game.
evt. name them with a specific name for recognition.
ScummVM will scan the HDD and find matches, or evt. follow an added list of partition names to recognize.

You select a partition/game and ScummVM will basicly fetch all its data from the selected partition, probably believing it's a CD/DVD in the disc drive.

To make this even 'easier' to create easily, the discs would evt. have to be prepared on a PC first for 'HDD insertion'.
(to make sure the file-layout's correct, unless ofcourse a detection in ScummVM is implemented that also makes it search the selected partition for additional media, though, that's an awful lot of searching and then I suppose 'boomarking/saving' of positions for games should be made so the detection/scanning wouldn't have to be made every time)

Sounds so simple... but yet, I suppose it's hell to make.
landocalrissian

Carnivol:

I think you may be onto something there with the partitions. I have a Maxtor HDD in my ps2 and I'm using it with the memory card exploit trick to access it (instead of using a modchip). Whoever is using this method to access the hard drive definitely has the wherewithal to get the games on the HDD using LaunchELF and a thumb drive, for example.

lavosspawn:
Using that kind of method, no installation tool should be neccessary. Just have ScummVM expect to find the games on the hard drive partition named after the game as it is listed in scummvm.ini (ex. "germansky" "loomcd" "monkey2"). Just an alternative to think about instead of painstakingly creating another install program.

Anyways, I'm definitely glad someone's finally putting out a new PS2 port of ScummVM and wish you all the best. I'll be patiently and humbly waiting for HDD should you decide to support it later down the road.
lavosspawn
ScummVM Developer

Post by lavosspawn »

Hmm, I don't see why everyone's so focused on partitions. I mean, I hardly ever used the HDD for anything, so maybe I'm not aware of some technical details, but why not create a single partition and have all games inside it, each in its own directory?
After all, a lot of games are only between 2 and 10 MB in size, so what's the point in creating a partition for each game?

Aaaaaaanyways. I have some stuff to fix in the current cd/dvd driver and there's still the virtual keyboard missing. Afterwards I'll probably look at the HDD thing.
Endy also said that he might be interested in implementing HDD support, but he wasn't very concrete... So I'm not completely sure.
landocalrissian

"Hmm, I don't see why everyone's so focused on partitions. I mean, I hardly ever used the HDD for anything, so maybe I'm not aware of some technical details, but why not create a single partition and have all games inside it, each in its own directory?
After all, a lot of games are only between 2 and 10 MB in size, so what's the point in creating a partition for each game?"

LOL, you're absolutely right...I guess we are focusing too much on the whole partition business.