Nintendo DS Port?

Subforum for discussion and help with ScummVM's Nintendo DS port

Moderator: ScummVM Team

obiworm

DS Lite

Post by obiworm »

Hey,
I'm fairly new to all this stuff, so can you please help me. I'd like to know if there is a relatively safe way of getting "Sam&Max Hit the Road" onto my DS lite. Can you suggest products and methods of doing this? Will it void my warranty, and Is there a site or shop that sells it in Australia, Melbourne? CAn you give me some pointers, thanx!
Ad_Enuff

Re: DS Lite

Post by Ad_Enuff »

obiworm wrote:Hey,
I'm fairly new to all this stuff, so can you please help me. I'd like to know if there is a relatively safe way of getting "Sam&Max Hit the Road" onto my DS lite. Can you suggest products and methods of doing this? Will it void my warranty, and Is there a site or shop that sells it in Australia, Melbourne? CAn you give me some pointers, thanx!
You now need:

1. DS or DS Lite
2. DATEL Media Launcher / SUPERKEY / MK4-Key PassKey
3. SUPERCARD Mini SD version / M3 Perfect MiniSD
4. Flash mini SD card up to 2Gb size.

Simply insert your SUPERKEY or DATEL Media Launcher into SLOT 1 and your M3 or SUPERCARD into teh GBA slot and turn it on.

Wait for the boot sequence to finish and select your game, movie, MP3 or homebrew from the list shown in teh bottom touch screen.

PLAY!

NOTE:
There is no need to flash your DS's firmware to use these new SUPERKEY's etc anylonger therefoe you will no longer invalidate your DS's warranty.
obiworm

Post by obiworm »

Can you suggest the products that you find works...And also can you tell me if there a place in australia that sells it.
Mr-Brett

Post by Mr-Brett »

Hi i recently got a DS lite and really want monkey island and day of the tentacle and discworld is possible on my ds but i have a CF GBA movie player: http://www.movieadvance.com/index.htm that i got a while ago, will this work?
clatten

Re: How-to play scummvm games on anDS

Post by clatten »

Ad_Enuff wrote:
clatten wrote:As I understand I need to do the following

1. Have a SCUMMVM compatible game, such as BASS downloaded from the SCUMMVM site.
2. A Nintendo DS (obviously).
3. A PASSME, such as M3 Passkey (http://www.flashlinker-shop.com/product ... cts_id=344)
4. A Flash Cart, such as M3 CF (http://www.flashlinker-shop.com/product ... cts_id=327) or Supercard-CF (http://www.flashlinker-shop.com/product ... ucts_id=37)
5. A CF Card Reader/Writer connected to the computer
6. A Nintendo DS game
Actually things have moved on quite a bit in terms of getting a DS or DS Lite to play gmaes or run media from a flash cart.

You now need:

1. DS or DS Lite
2. DATEL Media Launcher / SUPERKEY / MK4-Key PassKey
3. SUPERCARD Mini SD version / M3 Perfect MiniSD
4. Flash mini SD card up to 2Gb size.

Simply insert your SUPERKEY or DATEL Media Launcher into SLOT 1 and your M3 or SUPERCARD into teh GBA slot and turn it on.

Wait for the boot sequence to finish and select your game, movie, MP3 or homebrew from the list shown in teh bottom touch screen.

PLAY!

NOTE:
There is no need to flash your DS's firmware to use these new SUPERKEY's etc anylonger therefoe you will no longer invalidate your DS's warranty.

Seems very good but if my primary usage is playing scummvm shouldn't I stick with CF cards rather than miniSD? They are slightly cheaper and more important: I believe the scummvm nds port have some issues with SD. So are there any reasons to go with SD?
Ad_Enuff

Post by Ad_Enuff »

clatten wrote:Seems very good but if my primary usage is playing scummvm shouldn't I stick with CF cards rather than miniSD? They are slightly cheaper and more important: I believe the scummvm nds port have some issues with SD. So are there any reasons to go with SD?
To be honest according to reports CF is better than SD.

BUT, all CF based flash carts are HUGE!

There is a NEW flash cart for the DS Lite called the SUPERCARD Lite which essentially is exactly the same as the standard SD card or miniSD card versions.

The new system uses microSD, and now the cart actually provides a fully flush art now and doesnt stick out anylonger.

If you have a DS LIte this is what I suggest you purchase.

_bmd_

Post by _bmd_ »

Hi,

I'm trying to run Sam N Max on my DS using the SCUMM VM app. I've got the app to run but when I browse to the directory that the game is in it says there are no compatible games in the directory.

I have the game in uncompressed zip format in a directory, I've tried renaming it to 'scummdata-a.zip' but it still can't find a game in there.

Can anyone help me with this? Any help is much appreciated. :)
agentq
ScummVM Porter

Post by agentq »

You don't say which type of reader you're using, but I'm going to assume you're running on a flash cart, or on a reader which pretends to be one.

You need to run either the builddata-a.bat or builddata-b.bat program. You should then get a file called scummvm-a-withdata.ds.gba or scummvm-b-withdata.ds.gba.

This is the file you want to run. You don't need any other files. If you're on a supercard, rename the file to .nds.

Also, please note there is no talkie support with this method.
_bmd_

Post by _bmd_ »

Yeah, running on a supercard/flash card. Thanks for that, I'll give it a try.

And thanks to the people who've developed this app, I love being able to step outside the boundaries of what I'm told my hardware can do.
raschi

Post by raschi »

Where exactly lies the problem with the SD driver?
I read somewhere that most DS homebrew software has SD driver issues, so I´m guessing the compiler maybe?
dem1980

Post by dem1980 »

Ad_Enuff wrote:
clatten wrote:Seems very good but if my primary usage is playing scummvm shouldn't I stick with CF cards rather than miniSD? They are slightly cheaper and more important: I believe the scummvm nds port have some issues with SD. So are there any reasons to go with SD?
To be honest according to reports CF is better than SD.

BUT, all CF based flash carts are HUGE!

There is a NEW flash cart for the DS Lite called the SUPERCARD Lite which essentially is exactly the same as the standard SD card or miniSD card versions.

The new system uses microSD, and now the cart actually provides a fully flush art now and doesnt stick out anylonger.

If you have a DS LIte this is what I suggest you purchase.
this new version works with microsd cards and it doesn't worked with scummvm in "extend mode" (with voices)
you have to use the zip method with a file <30mo (without voices)
if you have a tip to play scumm with voices with a supercard lite, it would be great !
raschi

Post by raschi »

if you have a tip to play scumm with voices with a supercard lite, it would be great !
Rename *.ds.gba to *.nds and use the Moonshell patcher. Worked for me.
dem1980

Post by dem1980 »

raschi wrote:
Rename *.ds.gba to *.nds and use the Moonshell patcher. Worked for me.
thank you very much !
i wasn't sure that this method works for scummvm too !
Vachu

Post by Vachu »

Hello,
I have two questions about the ScummVM DS port:

1. As anyone been able to run it with a G6Lite Flashcart?

2. In the readme, there's something about a 30M limitation when using a Flash Cart. Does the same apply for supercards using SD or CF cards?

Thanks,
Vachu
dem1980

Post by dem1980 »

Vachu wrote:Hello,
I have two questions about the ScummVM DS port:

1. As anyone been able to run it with a G6Lite Flashcart?

2. In the readme, there's something about a 30M limitation when using a Flash Cart. Does the same apply for supercards using SD or CF cards?

Thanks,
Vachu
1 - yes you can, but you have to use the gba flashcart method, you have to zip the gamefiles and you can't have a zip bigger than 30mo so no voices...

2 - the 30mo limitation is only when you use the gba flashcart method (zip the game files), so any problem with a CF or SD