Nintendo DS Port?

Subforum for discussion and help with ScummVM's Nintendo DS port

Moderator: ScummVM Team

glokidd

Post by glokidd »

thanks for the info
raschi

Post by raschi »

Ad_Enuff wrote:Currently, the DS port isnt stable enough to play ANY SCUMMVM game currently as its still fairly in its infantcy, but this is only going to be improved over the coming months.
http://scummvm.drunkencoders.com/

Check compatibility list. Seems alot of the games are fully working to me.
Ender
Retired

Post by Ender »

If your having problems, I highly recommend deleting your monster.so* file or just disabling voices in the options menu.

It can help a LOT if your getting sluggish performance on a talkie game :)
agentq
ScummVM Porter

Post by agentq »

Currently, the DS port isnt stable enough to play ANY SCUMMVM game currently as its still fairly in its infantcy, but this is only going to be improved over the coming months.
I would be interested to hear what problems you're having, because as far as I'm concerned, it's practically finished. People have completed pretty much every Scumm game on it up to and including Sam & Max.

I'm not sure where you got the improvement over the coming months bit either.

The remaining issues are mainly with compatibility with SD card readers. These are currently unreliable because a stable driver isn't available. When it is, the SD card compatibility will improve.

Also, Full Throttle, COMI and The Dig are not playable, and probably won't ever be, because of memory/CPU time/screen resolution concerns.

As for the speech slowing the game down - MP3 speech is incredibly slow, but normal uncompressed speech shouldn't make much of a different to the speed of the game. Although I have reports that some large cards (1Gb+) may make the speech take more CPU time, and so slow the game down. What really helps the speed in all cases is turning the music off.
Ad_Enuff

Post by Ad_Enuff »

agentq wrote:I'm not sure where you got the improvement over the coming months bit either.

The remaining issues are mainly with compatibility with SD card readers. These are currently unreliable because a stable driver isn't available. When it is, the SD card compatibility will improve.
Errrr I said that! You will see I used the word "stable" not compatibility!

We all know it works, but we are talking stable drivers that wont corrupt your SD card.

Pleas feel free to use SCUMMVM DS, but dont come crying back to the forums when your SD card corrupts and lose everything.
agentq
ScummVM Porter

Post by agentq »

Errrr I said that!
No, you didn't, you said this:
Currently, the DS port isnt stable enough to play ANY SCUMMVM game currently as its still fairly in its infantcy, but this is only going to be improved over the coming months.
This only applies to SD cards. The large numbers of people using CF readers and GBA flash cards to play ScummVM find the port is pretty stable. You made it seem like pretty much nothing works.

And the file system issues on SD cards apply to all homebrew which makes use of the filesystem to any degree.
Tooplex

Post by Tooplex »

This would really suck if it was on a DS the screen would be to small and to difficult to play and also expensive to do get a Psp and do it on that not on a DS how crap would that be!
glokidd

Post by glokidd »

i think the real advantage of the ds over the psp for scummvm is the touch screen, which you can use like a mouse as opposed to the psp analog stick.
i have been using the palmOS port for a long time i i have to say i love the touch screens paired with the point and click interface.one day i might get a psp just so i can play some of the bigger games (Full throttle, the dig, COMI, etc.) but i am seriously hesitant as i dont trust
connecting any sony device to my computer (especially their installation cd's)
Vinterstum
ScummVM Developer

Post by Vinterstum »

glokidd wrote:i think the real advantage of the ds over the psp for scummvm is the touch screen, which you can use like a mouse as opposed to the psp analog stick.
i have been using the palmOS port for a long time i i have to say i love the touch screens paired with the point and click interface.one day i might get a psp just so i can play some of the bigger games (Full throttle, the dig, COMI, etc.) but i am seriously hesitant as i dont trust
connecting any sony device to my computer (especially their installation cd's)
The PSP just acts like any other USB Mass Storage device, no installation CD is required :).
agentq
ScummVM Porter

Post by agentq »

I think glokkid is worried about whether a Sony device could harm his PC, after the Sony music CD rootkit fiasco. Just inserting a plain old music cd opened your PC up to all sorts of attacks.

If Sony did that with a CD, they could also do it with a USB Mass Storage device.

In reply to Tooplex, the screen on the DS is only marginally smaller in resolution than the original Scumm games, and as you can see here: http://scummvm.drunkencoders.com
Everything is pretty clear, especially on the lite.

Some of the places in the game where you have to click on something really small are difficult on the DS screen, so I have put in a zoom feature that lets you zoom right in to hit the object you want. It works fine.
Vinterstum
ScummVM Developer

Post by Vinterstum »

agentq wrote:I think glokkid is worried about whether a Sony device could harm his PC, after the Sony music CD rootkit fiasco. Just inserting a plain old music cd opened your PC up to all sorts of attacks.
It wasn't a plain old music CD, it had a data track. With autorun.
agentq wrote:If Sony did that with a CD, they could also do it with a USB Mass Storage device.
No, they can't :). A USB device can't install drivers on its own. Insert a PSP, and Windows will use the same drivers that any other USB mass storage device will use. You're completely 100% safe from any Sony maliciousness.

EDIT: That's assuming Windows doesn't run any autorun on USB devices, which I don't think they do. And my PSP doesn't have any autorun.inf in its root in either case.
agentq
ScummVM Porter

Post by agentq »

Ok, so they can't use autorun, but having demonstrated they are willing to use 'suspicious' methods on CDs (modifying your Windows install without asking), perhaps they could find a buffer overflow or something in the USB stack that lets them inject code?
joostp
ScummVM Developer

Post by joostp »

They can't even find buffer overflows in their own software themselves, so I doubt that. :lol:

Also, I'm quite sure SCE is a different department entirely.
glokidd

Post by glokidd »

i am sort of undecided on the whole issue but you all have made great points. On one hand i wont place a sony/bmg cd in my comp, but at thesame time i prefer to play MI4 on my PS2 as its generally a better gameplay experience. My main problem right now is i primarily use my moms brand new comp so i really dont want to mess it up. Thanks for all the info guys, i was under the impression that the psp had to have some encoding software and general drivers that would be installed from an accompanying cd, so thanks for clearing that up. Maybe i will get a PsP and play full throttle on the bus, not to mention enjoy all the great work that joostp does on the PSP port.
Thanks again guys

EDIT:
and just to clairify im 23, not 14 like it sounds when i say things like "i primarily use my moms brand new comp" :)
Tooplex

Post by Tooplex »

Scummvm on the psp rules i love playing day of the tentacle on my 32mb memory stick i just cant wait to get a 2gb and play COMI on it that will rule and as Vinterstum says the psp cant attack your computer that would be well near to impossible unless if you bought a pre owned one and someone put something in it but other than that no it cant attack your comp and try not to buy a pre owned one you dont know what has been in it!