Blade Runner by Westwood: any chance?

All the inane chatter goes in here. If you're curious about whether we will support a game, post HERE not in General Discussion :)

Moderator: ScummVM Team

nabla

Blade Runner by Westwood: any chance?

Post by nabla »

Hi,

first I'd like to say that Scummvm is really a nice app! Thank you!

Now my question. Do you see any chance that Blade Runner could be supported in future? Maybe you have some connections to Westwood (or EA) because of the kyra engine.
clem

Re: Blade Runner by Westwood: any chance?

Post by clem »

nabla wrote:Do you see any chance that Blade Runner could be supported in future? Maybe you have some connections to Westwood (or EA) because of the kyra engine.
Chances are next to 0; the WW connections didn't help for kyra and Blade Runner is newer than that.

also it doesn't fit the "2D point and click adventure" definition.

and afaik Blade Runner runs nicely under windows as it is?

clem
nabla

Post by nabla »

Sry, I did not read that request dont belong to General Diskussion. :oops:
clem wrote:
nabla wrote:Do you see any chance that Blade Runner could be supported in future? Maybe you have some connections to Westwood (or EA) because of the kyra engine.
Chances are next to 0; the WW connections didn't help for kyra and Blade Runner is newer than that.

also it doesn't fit the "2D point and click adventure" definition.

and afaik Blade Runner runs nicely under windows as it is?

clem
A pity. :cry:

Blade Runner runs under windows almost without problems. You have to create a Save folder yourself to be able to save and have to use a CPU slowing tool to be able to use the shooting arena.
sev
ScummVM Lead

Post by sev »

clem wrote:also it doesn't fit the "2D point and click adventure" definition.
Hmmm.. Blade Runner doesn't use 3D graphics. So it's still 2D and is point and click :) Also it seems to have all logic hardcoded in couple hundreds DLLs :)

Eugene
cappuchok

Post by cappuchok »

clem wrote:
In addition, Blade Runner is licensed in several layers, so inclusion would most likely also require the approval of whoever owns the movie license these days, as well as the writer who wrote the novel on which both the movie and the game are based. So I would say the chances are exactly 0.

As for kyra, the connections to the old Westwood team inside EA haven't helped yet, but the last I heard, they hadn't given up trying to get approval to release the source code. So I guess only time will tell.
clem

Post by clem »

sev wrote:Hmmm.. Blade Runner doesn't use 3D graphics. So it's still 2D and is point and click :)
as far as I remember all the characters on-screen are voxel models
sasa89

Post by sasa89 »

nabla wrote:You have to create a Save folder yourself to be able to save and have to use a CPU slowing tool to be able to use the shooting arena.
i installed the game under WinXP and everything works perfectly!!
it saves without any additional save-folder.
and it isn't too fast, so i don't have to slow my cpu down (i have a P4 3.2GHz)....

so there is no need of making it compatible with scummvm.

@clem
yes, the models are 3d

:wink:
nabla

Post by nabla »

sasa89 wrote:
nabla wrote:You have to create a Save folder yourself to be able to save and have to use a CPU slowing tool to be able to use the shooting arena.
and it isn't too fast, so i don't have to slow my cpu down (i have a P4 3.2GHz)....

@clem
yes, the models are 3d

Can you use the shooting arena in the police station? Do the enemies appear? For me not, I had to use a slow down tool.

Problem is that Windows is not my main system and in future I want to get rid of it completly.
sasa89

Post by sasa89 »

well, i can walk through it but there are no enemies.
but the rest of the game works 'normal'....

are you sure that there should be enemies?
nabla

Post by nabla »

Yes, I am sure.
Just give this tool (or any other CPU using tool) a try.
abelthorne

Post by abelthorne »

Although the game seems to run normally, it has issues in two areas that are related to CPU speed. You can use a tool to slow your CPU in order to correct these glitches :
- in the shooting area in the police station, the targets will take ages to appear (between 2-10 minutes instead of real-time)
- later in the game, you have to quit a room before a bomb explodes ; there's also something optional you can do in the room (I won't spoil) : if you do that thing, the bomb will almost instantly explode and it's near impossible to get out of the room before it does.

Also, I had problems with shooting phases in the game (dying quickly), although I don't know if it was related to the speed problem or if these phases are difficult (or if I'm a lousy player :wink: ). Anyway, most of these are random, so you can play at full speed and just save / reload the game to bypass the shooting phases if you happen to die.
sasa89

Post by sasa89 »

yeah, i had to try for about 30mins this bomb-thingy....without any tool
ErikBauer

Post by ErikBauer »

sasa89 wrote:

@clem
yes, the models are 3d

Well, a good reason would be to have it playable on Wii...
But I think this alone would not be enough, would it?
RetroScurvy

Post by RetroScurvy »

Hmmm, it'd be great to have it playing on mac (and other platforms) though...
bobdevis

Post by bobdevis »

sasa89 wrote: i installed the game under WinXP and everything works perfectly!!

Hey, that's not the spirit.....
With ScummVM support you free a game not only from the dependency of Windows but also of the x86 platform.
Also you revive interest in the game, making it more easy to find for sale or as a torrent.
That way it is more likely that the game will stay preserved for future generations. THAT is the true value of ScummVM and why this project kicks so much ass.

I guess that if the source code will ever be released, it may make it into Residual, not Scumm, because of the 3D models.