So, when will you move Scummvm.ini to where it should be...?

General chat related to ScummVM, adventure gaming, and so on.

Moderator: ScummVM Team

Kirben

Post by Kirben »

The main point seems to be the configuation file should be in any easily accessable location, in order to edit options.

But with the current easy to use GUI of ScummVM 0.9.0, most people shouldn't need to alter the config file manually at all.

I expect the reason the APPDATA location is hidden, is to avoid people making direct changes. Most Windows programs provide configuation options completely via GUI.

Also having configuation files restored, when using System Restore is a benefit. System Restore is meant to restore a usable system state, and configuarion files could be corrupted/damaged on a system, when prolems occur.
fac

Post by fac »

My sugestion:

Keep scummvm.ini default application folder like it is.
But if ScummVM found scummvm.ini in it's directory, then default directory is ignored.
joachimeberhard
ScummVM Team Member

Post by joachimeberhard »

Whatever you do, don't put it to %AppData% :)
EdDammer

Post by EdDammer »

fac wrote:My sugestion:

But if ScummVM found scummvm.ini in it's directory, then default directory is ignored.
That's a really good suggestion!
NeXuS

Post by NeXuS »

fac wrote:My sugestion:

Nice idea
slake_jones

Post by slake_jones »

I notice that alot of games save their games in My Documents in their own folders, this I find anoying as you end up with lots of folders in the My Documents folder.

However, when I installed Prey, it saved its game im My Games\Prey foder (inside My Documents). I thought this might be a good idea for ScummVMs default save location, maybe My Games\ScummVM.

This would allow users to find save games (for backup purposes) while not overly clutter up the My Documents folder.

The chances are that more games will use this location in the future.
raven101

Why are we making things so complicated?

Post by raven101 »

I've joined this discussion quite late, so have probably missed someone covering this, (also sorry for bringing up an old topic, that sounds like it's been covered many times before!) but - what is wrong with the .ini file being in Windows, so long as the user is definitely made aware of it?

Anyone that's going to be fiddling with stuff in the Windows directory/wiping their machine/whatever is probably capable enough to handle typing '-c scummvm.ini' (or whatever it is) and anyone who is honestly not able to run a program with parameters is somewhat unlikely to be affecting the windows directory, no?

In all honesty, I was quite taken aback to find the .ini was stored where it was, and I would have liked it to be made more obvious to me (though how exactly you'd do that, I don't know) but it does seem like an obvious way to do things, with very few drawbacks?

If people are really unhappy with the windows directory, I'm still uncertain what's wrong with leaving the .ini file in the scummvm directory - unless it contains information relevant to each user that might want to use the program, but I can't think of any?

[edit]
While I really like this idea from a practical point of view, I can quite understand that the programmers will not want effectively redundant data floating around - say you accidentally move your local scummvm.ini without noticing, the program will now still run! Now you have a user that has a program behaving seemingly erratically, with incorrect (in fact, just old) settings, not even producing an error. Basically my only gripe with this is that it allows the program to produce an effectively erroneous state without an error message (whereas I assume that if there is no scummvm.ini that the program would say so?)
Vinterstum
ScummVM Developer

Post by Vinterstum »

This issue has pretty much been resolved :). The ini file will by default (i.e. on new installations) be stored under Documents and Settings\Application Data, which is what Microsoft recommends (both the Windows directory and the Program Files area may be read only, especially on Vista).
raven101

Post by raven101 »

oh...well....good then! :)