ScummVM 1.2.1

Subforum for discussion and help with ScummVM's Dreamcast port

Moderator: ScummVM Team

mc
ScummVM Porter

ScummVM 1.2.1

Post by mc »

Hi all.

Regarding the new release 1.2.1, I'd like to draw some attention to a caveat when using the plainfiles.

As you may have noticed, there are now two Nero images, each containing only half of the engine plugins. This is due to the fact that the combined size of all engine plugins now exceed the available memory on the Dreamcast. A disc containing all the plugins will try to load them, run out of memory, and crash.

Of course, this applies to discs you master yourself using the plainfiles too. Do _not_ put all the plugins on the disc, or it will not boot correctly. At the present time, I think leaving out just one would be sufficient, but generally it's best to only include the plugins you are actually going to use. I expect most people using the plainfiles already follow this strategy, but if not, caveat emptor!
DCDayDreamer

Post by DCDayDreamer »

Thanks for the update Marcus.
timofonic

Post by timofonic »

Hello.

Have you considerated a different plugin strategy? Like the upcoming one from this GSoC 2010 used in some embedded devices like Nintendo DS or PSP, it can be loaded one by one instead loading all at once.

Also please consider the SD adaptor, it's quite nice when installing DreamShell into the bios.

Regards.
mc
ScummVM Porter

Post by mc »

The "uncached plugins" strategy can't be used on the DC, because it keeps loading plugins during detection, so you'd have to swap between the ScummVM disc and the game disc like a million times before detection could complete.

I'd love to consider the SD adaptor, but I don't have any. I'll gladly add support for any SD adaptor anyone donates to me. ;-)
Maturion

Post by Maturion »

As always, thanks for the update Marcus. You do a great job in updating it every time. As far as I know you do still use libronin for your port (instead of KallistiOS)?