ScummVM INI help

Subforum for discussion and help with ScummVM's Dreamcast port

Moderator: ScummVM Team

Stryfe

ScummVM INI help

Post by Stryfe »

First of all, I was wondering when (if at all) the Dreamcast port had INI support added?

Is there any documentation on how to set it up?

For instance, there would be obvious parameters that wouldn't be acceptable by the DC, like - scaling, screen resolution, and various audio formats not being supported...

What parameters would the DC scummvm.ini accept, and what ones would it not?

Just simple game paths? Autoloading of a game, without menu selection?
DCDayDreamer

Post by DCDayDreamer »

Wrong forum - this should be in the Dreamcast Port subforum.

Support for the scummvm.ini was added to skip autodetection in the Dreamcast port around the end of July, 1.2.0 is the first version with that support (apart from previous SVN builds). I haven't tested any other parameters beyond the simple yet, but here are some basics to get you started (I'm using Beneath A Steel Sky as an example):

The scummvm.ini must be in the root of the CD.

To display a single game with all game files in root use this:

Code: Select all

[sky]
path=
description=Beneath A Steel Sky
To display multiple versions (different languages for example) of the same game use this:

Code: Select all

[whatever1]
gameid=sky
path=whateverfolder1/
description=Beneath A Steel Sky: English

[whatever2]
gameid=sky
path=whateverfolder2/
description=Beneath A Steel Sky: German
Don't forget the README file in every ScummVM distribution, it has a lot of info in there about the parameters if you want to test any. One last thing, try to keep the 'description' to 36 characters max (the text will continue beyond the menu backdrop with more).
Stryfe

Post by Stryfe »

DCDayDreamer wrote:Wrong forum - this should be in the Dreamcast Port subforum.
This was more a question of 'documentation'. Considering we are like the only two regular posters in the DC section, I posted where one of the devs might actually read it. I'm not sure if the user 'mc' is actually Zeldin, or not...

If someone more familiar with the source code could point me in right direction, I'd be more than happy to add the info to the appropriate ScummVM wiki page.
DCDayDreamer

Post by DCDayDreamer »

Stryfe wrote:I'm not sure if the user 'mc' is actually Zeldin, or not...
According to the wiki, Zeldin is indeed Marcus Comstedt.
Stryfe wrote:If someone more familiar with the source code could point me in right direction, I'd be more than happy to add the info to the appropriate ScummVM wiki page.
The documentation for the Dreamcast port certainly needs a bit of an update, it's always been 'trial and error' for me, I did create quite an extensive writeup for the port and many games a long while ago but never got round to putting it online anywhere. I had thought of contacting Marcus to pass on the info for the wiki, even posting more information within the forum, but after being accused of distributing Dreamcast CD Images with full games in the past (just because they bore resemblance to previous legit DCEvo releases) I binned the idea, I even dropped the newbie guides within the DCEvo demo releases because of it.
Stryfe

Post by Stryfe »

DCDayDreamer wrote:Zeldin is indeed Marcus Comstedt.
That I know. There's a user on the forums with 'mc' as the username. I didn't know if it was someone who was pretending to be him or not.
DCDayDreamer wrote:I even dropped the newbie guides within the DCEvo demo releases because of it.
Yes, guides probably help people make disc images properly, regardless of what they used them for. I believe I've even referenced your tutorials on sites like DC-Talk (and the like), before I requested they remove my account.

I personally could care less what other people decide to do with info/data on the net. Once it's out there, it's in the public's domain for the better or worse. I don't try to pretend to be the internet police, or even judgmental about the rather grey areas of big gov's attempt to control the web.

I don't think it's necessarily deserved, but proper documentation on projects (from the developers) sure goes that extra mile, and gives the impression of professionalism. I kinda like to hear from one of the programmers on this.

It be nice to avoid possible fatal errors/crashes because of an incorrect INI setting if it could be avoided. Testing with emulators can lead to un-replicable results on an actual Dreamcast, and I'd rather not waste a stack of discs on hit-and-miss guess methods.
fingolfin
Retired

Post by fingolfin »

By far not all devs read the forums at all, and many do it only on rare occassions. If you want to contact the developer of a specific port, then if I was you, I would email him. It's not difficult to find out the address either.

And this post still belongs in the DC forum (and I am moving it there). It's not as if people who know about the DC port are more likely to look in "Help and Support", is it?