Feeble Files?

Subforum for discussion and help with ScummVM's Dreamcast port

Moderator: ScummVM Team

Who'sThere

Feeble Files?

Post by Who'sThere »

I wonder if the Dreamcast port will ever be able to play large, multi-disc games, such as the Feeble Files...

I noticed that Dcevolution recently put up an image of the demo version. Feeble Files Interactive Demo

The main question being, before I pick up a copy of the game, is it possible it could be DC compatible someday? Could there be a way that the DC could recognize each disc separately in the scummvm menu, allowing for disc swap? Does the original game require a full install, or does it only use the data from one disc at a time?
DCDayDreamer

Post by DCDayDreamer »

Who'sThere wrote:The main question being, before I pick up a copy of the game, is it possible it could be DC compatible someday? Could there be a way that the DC could recognize each disc separately in the scummvm menu, allowing for disc swap? Does the original game require a full install, or does it only use the data from one disc at a time?
Sadly the game in it's original form can't be used on the Dreamcast that way, even if the ScummVM team added in the code required for disc swap for each CD (2 or 4 CD versions), it still wouldn't work. You need to install the game before you can play, certain files that are not accessible directly from the CD are installed, ScummVM needs access to these files for the game to work. If disc swap support for the Feeble Files was added, you could possibly re-create each CD with the required files added into the root structure, but it would really be a lot of work for the team just to get that one game running on the Dreamcast. SD support for the Dreamcast port would do away with the need for disc swap with the Feeble Files, but considering the amount of users that actually have one of these, it's not a viable general solution at present.

It might be possible to play the full version of the Feeble Files on the Dreamcast already, I have the 2 CD version of the game, and just for the hell of it experimented with that version. After putting all the required files for the game into a directory, compressing the WAV files to MP3, and by re-encoding the SMK files, the directory size ended up being 620 MB. The 'compressed' game played perfectly on PC, but my Dreamcast test burn didn't work, I'll probably take another look at it sometime after the holidays.