Curse of Monkey Island question

Subforum for discussion and help with ScummVM's Dreamcast port

Moderator: ScummVM Team

the jackal

Curse of Monkey Island question

Post by the jackal »

I'm new here so please forgive me if this has been asked already.

If I brought the PC version of Curse of Monkey Island, would the game CD as it is work on the DC, via the SCUMM Boot CD?

Or would I need to burn it on a new CD?
Who'sThere

Post by Who'sThere »

Via the ScummVM wiki: http://wiki.scummvm.org/index.php/Dreamcast

It seems the DC doesn't have enough RAM, so you'll have to use your computer.
Stryfe

Post by Stryfe »

Yup, the Curse of Monkey Island is a 2 cd game.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Curse_of_Monkey_Island

Perhaps he's referring to the 1 disc warez release?
marzipan

Post by marzipan »

I'm not even aware of a 1-disc warez release tbh. Not that I'm asking for it, of course.

I'd imagine you could at least get the demo running on a DC though, right?
DCDayDreamer

Post by DCDayDreamer »

the jackal wrote:If I brought the PC version of Curse of Monkey Island, would the game CD as it is work on the DC, via the SCUMM Boot CD?

Or would I need to burn it on a new CD?
COMI does play on the Dreamcast, you will have to put all the game data on one CDR but you will not be able to complete the game, when there's a lot of interaction required (along with music/sfx/speech) you'll end up with random crashes, and these crashes will get progressively worse. The demo version of COMI also plays on the Dreamcast.

You could always compile a CD to see how well it performs for yourself, perhaps with the demo to begin with, but avoid testing with the current version of ScummVM because there is no autosave - and you'll need it believe me. It's pretty much the same for The Dig and Full Throttle, there are points in both games where a lot of interaction can trigger crashes, although The Dig can be completed with ScummVM 0.12.0 with a few random crashes (autosave is needed), Full Throttle can't be completed yet.
kremiso

Re: Curse of Monkey Island question

Post by kremiso »

I have played this game entirely on DC
the only way to do it, is to disable at least one thing, between the background music or the speech;
the 0.12.0 remain the better release to make run this
the banjo-duel sequence is the only one that run very slowly on DC, the rest works decently if not flawlessly
tsowell

Post by tsowell »

I’ve verified that Full Throttle is completable with no random crashes using my alternate backend on a 32MB-modded Dreamcast. It runs out of memory pretty early on a 16MB Dreamcast, so that seems to support that the official backend just needs more memory.
kremiso

Post by kremiso »

tsowell wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 7:19 am I’ve verified that Full Throttle is completable with no random crashes using my alternate backend on a 32MB-modded Dreamcast. It runs out of memory pretty early on a 16MB Dreamcast, so that seems to support that the official backend just needs more memory.
hi tsowell, nice to see you again, finally in the correct place
about Full Throttle, i have completed also this one on DC, without remove anything
it is completable using an older release, don't remember the correct one atm

apart your great 32MB mod, i was thinking if could maybe possible to have some dedicated releases on DC,
with only the strict necessary to make run i.e. Curse of Monkey Island, or Discworld 2
it would be awesome

about your alternative backend, please try to let it works on emulators (NullDC or Demul), it would be a great add, mainly because i don't like to waste cds doing attempts :wink: