A question about Libronin and the sound in DC Scummvm.

Subforum for discussion and help with ScummVM's Dreamcast port

Moderator: ScummVM Team

Stryfe

A question about Libronin and the sound in DC Scummvm.

Post by Stryfe »

This is mostly aimed at Marcus C., and/or any other involved party on the Dreamcast port.

I was wondering why the DC port still used the rather antiquated Libronin, as opposed to something like KOS, which is still seeing updates and programming usage?

I also have a question about a post by another member here who mentioned that the version of Libronin used might be outdated (V0.6). Would updating to the latest version have any consequences speed wise?

Is CDDA not capable of being supported, as I noticed, from personal experience and other's posts, that the SegaCD version of Monkey Island has no BGM while playing?

And finally, would using the Dreamcasts AICA through say, ADPCM, give any speed performance increases? Or, would it reduce soundtrack stutter on some games as opposed to using MP3 or OGG?
fingolfin
Retired

Post by fingolfin »

Marcus is one of the libronin authors. I strongly doubt that he is using an outdated version, too :). As for KOS: Last time i checked, their website hadn't been updated since 2004. You mean they are still active anyway?
mc
ScummVM Porter

Post by mc »

Hi Stryfe.

No, ScummVM on the Dreamcast would not be more wonderful if was using KOS instead. The hardware is still the same.

CDDA is supported by the port, but there are two things to consider:

1) The engine might not support CDDA for some version
of a game that uses it with the original player (I don't
know if this is the case with SegaCD MI)

2) If the engine accesses a file from the filesystem, CDDA
playback will be stopped. The access pattern of the ScummVM
engine may differ from that of the original player, so that
can cause incorrect playback in some cases.

And no, having the CPU recompress the sound using ADPCM would make it slower, not faster.
Stryfe

Post by Stryfe »

Ok, thanks. Thought it'd be worth the shot, and I asked.

Not a programmer myself, so thanks for the response.

BTW - Thanks for all the hard work you've put into the app. :D
DCEvoCE

Post by DCEvoCE »

Yeah, I too would like to thank you for your work!
mc wrote:And no, having the CPU recompress the sound using ADPCM would make it slower, not faster.
I think that Stryfe was referring to a dedicated ADPCM sound format to use instead of MP3 or OGG files.

- Btw, I did a little bit of reading on ADPCM and I noticed that the Super Nintendo used ADPCM too. It might be worth a shot to try to get the Dreamcast to decode the ADPCM.