Maniac Mansion (NES/Burn) help?

Subforum for discussion and help with ScummVM's Dreamcast port

Moderator: ScummVM Team

Stryfe

Maniac Mansion (NES/Burn) help?

Post by Stryfe »

Hi there, got a few questions for any takers.

First of all what type/region of NES rom is supported by the DC port of Scumm?
NES, NSF, UNF, NTSC or PAL?

Second is what is the recommended setting for burning ScummVM for the DC? I can test compatible CDI images in an DC emulator beforehand, but sometimes they'll work in that, but not the actual unit...

For instance, should I use the "data/data" or the "audio/data" options in Bootdreams?
DCDayDreamer

Post by DCDayDreamer »

Stryfe wrote:First of all what type/region of NES rom is supported by the DC port of Scumm?
Can't help you with the NES version of Maniac Mansion because I've never tried it With ScummVM on the Dreamcast, but I can tell you that the DOS version of Maniac Mansion works extremely well.
Stryfe wrote:Second is what is the recommended setting for burning ScummVM for the DC? I can test compatible CDI images in an DC emulator beforehand, but sometimes they'll work in that, but not the actual unit...

For instance, should I use the "data/data" or the "audio/data" options in Bootdreams?
I use Dir2Boot for most of my CD Images because it works 100% of the time for me, 100% with all my Dreamcasts, and I do not require CDDA for homebrew (apart from a few releases which I use BootDreams for). I have however done some extensive tests with BootDreams (Audio/Data in particular), what have you tried so far? (meaning what type of CD Images have you created and how are you burning them).
Stryfe

Post by Stryfe »

Thanks for the prompt reply Daydreamer, and I usually burn using the data/data method in BD's. Although I've tested out the few games I have in a DC emulator, I'm not sure if the will work in the actual DC for the previously stated reasons.

I can't burn straight off of Bootdreams, for some unknown reason. I'm guessing I might have the same prob with Dir2Boot?...

Well anyway, figured out there was an extraction tool in the optional tools download here. I guess I'll just have to risk burning a few coasters
DCDayDreamer

Post by DCDayDreamer »

Stryfe wrote:I can't burn straight off of Bootdreams, for some unknown reason.
When you say "I can't burn straight off of Bootdreams", I'm assuming you can't use the CDRecord method that's available within the BootDreams application: burning a CD Image to CDR does not work for you?.
Stryfe wrote:I'm guessing I might have the same prob with Dir2Boot?...
Dir2Boot does not have an option to burn the created CD Image to CDR, it's an old application, but it's very stable and quick for creating Discjuggler and Nero CD Images (pre Nero 6.X), Dir2Boot will only create Dreamcast CD Images, you will then need to use other software to burn the CD Image to CDR.
Stryfe wrote:I guess I'll just have to risk burning a few coasters
If you want, tell me exactly what ScummVM CD you are trying to create for your Dreamcast, I'll create one for myself, burn and test it, then post a step-by-step guide for you so you do not need to make any coasters.
Stryfe

Post by Stryfe »

No need to do that, although I do appreciate the offer.

Oh okay, maybe if you have an alternative way to test before burning? I just need to know the correct settings to burn the .12 plain files in either Bootdreams, or in Dir2Boot.

I only have the NES version Maniac Mansion, Simon 1 & 2 DOS, and Monkey Island SCD, but I'd like to find more free/share ware games that are supported.

I see that there are a couple complete images hosted over at DcEvolution.

Thanks again. :)
DCDayDreamer

Post by DCDayDreamer »

Stryfe wrote:No need to do that, although I do appreciate the offer.
No worries
Stryfe wrote:Oh okay, maybe if you have an alternative way to test before burning? I just need to know the correct settings to burn the .12 plain files in either Bootdreams, or in Dir2Boot.
I don't have an alternative way, I just set my ScummVM files up, create a Discjuggler CDI with Dir2Boot, then burn to CDR with either BootDreams or Alcohol. Not sure what you mean about ".12 plain files"?
Stryfe wrote:I only have the NES version Maniac Mansion
The readme says this about the NES version:
3.3) Maniac Mansion NES notes:
---- -------------------------
Supported versions are English GB (E), French (F), German (G), Swedish (SW)
and English US (U).
ScummVM requires just the PRG section to run and not the whole ROM.

In order to get the game working, you will have to strip out the first
16 bytes from the ROM you are trying to work with. Any hex editor will work
as long as you are able to copy/paste. After you open the ROM with the
hex editor, copy everything from the second row (17th byte) to the end.
After you do this, paste it to a new hex file. Name the new file
"Maniac Mansion (XX).prg" while XX stands for the version you are working
with (E, F, G, SW, or U). The final size should be exactly 262144 bytes.

If you add the game manually make sure that the platform is set to NES.

Most common mistakes which prevents the game from running:

* Bad file
* ROM extracted with the 0.7.0 tools
* You try to feed ScummVM with the FULL ROM and not just the PRG section.

It is also possible to extract the separate LFL files from the PRG section.
To do so use the 'extract_mm_nes' utility from the tools package.
Have you thought about using NesterDC for running Maniac Mansion NES version on Dreamcast?, you can set the disk up to autoboot the rom just like the real thing.
Stryfe wrote:I'd like to find more free/share ware games that are supported
If you want to try some freeware on the Dreamcast before making your own disks, here's some CD Images (all discjuggler CDI's created with Dir2Boot, and all can be burnt to CDR with Discjuggler, Alcohol or BootDreams):

Complete Games:
Beneath a Steel Sky
ScummVM 0.10.0 SVN, BASS Floppy & CD versions.

Flight of the Amazon Queen
ScummVM 0.10.0 SVN, FOTAQ Floppy and CD versions.

Drascula
ScummVM 0.12.0, Drascula CD version.

Samplers:
Broken Swords
ScummVM 0.12.0, BS1 & BS2 demos.

Humongous Entertainment Vol 1
ScummVM 0.12.0, Big Thinkers, Buzzy Bug, Fatty Bear, Pajama Sam demos.

Humongous Entertainment Vol 2
ScummVM 0.12.0, Freddi Fish & Putt-Putt demos.

Humongous Entertainment Vol 3
ScummVM 0.12.0, SPY Fox demos.

I Have No Mouth And I Must Scream
ScummVM 0.12.0, IHNM demo.

The Dig
ScummVM 0.11.1, The Dig demo.

All the samplers come with extras, complete walthrough guides for getting the full games to run on Dreamcast, tools etc., There's also loads more demos available on the ScummVM site here.
Stryfe

Post by Stryfe »

Sorry, I meant the "0.12.0" binary/plain files.

I used Ucon64 to split the NES rom into the prg/prm files, and to run the "extract_mm_nes.exe" utility. ScummVM allows support for a mouse interface, even on the NES version.

I'll give Dir2Boot a shot, and I usually use Alcohol to burn cdi images. But, Do you happen to know what settings to use in Bootdreams to create an cdi image?

Anyways, thanks for all the links and the help. :mrgreen:
DCDayDreamer

Post by DCDayDreamer »

Stryfe wrote:I meant the "0.12.0" binary/plain files.
Sorry, should have guessed you meant that :oops: .
Stryfe wrote:Do you happen to know what settings to use in Bootdreams to create an cdi image?
I use BootDreams for creating an Audio/Data CDI with my ISO settings all checked, but I guess that's just down to personal preference.