Dreamcast+ grim fandango?

Subforum for discussion and help with ScummVM's Dreamcast port

Moderator: ScummVM Team

Fireflower

Dreamcast+ grim fandango?

Post by Fireflower »

Ive been doing some research, because i LOVE.... LOOOVE "Grim Fandango" Nothing better in all the world that some undead investigating. My question is, since grim fandango is a 2 disc game, what do i have to do to play it on dc? i heard something about the new version be able to do multi disc, but i never saw any confirmation. Im fairly certain it wouldnt fit on one disc, even with compression, and im not sure that would be a good idea anyway since its such a ridiculously detailed game. Anyway, all i do is burn the iso file of scummvm plop that in the dc, and then what?
clem

Post by clem »

ScummVM does not run Grim Fandango.
Residual runs Grim Fandango. Grim Fandango is not even completable in Residual. There is no DC port of Residual.
mc
ScummVM Porter

Post by mc »

clem wrote:There is no DC port of Residual.
Yes there is.
DCDayDreamer

Post by DCDayDreamer »

mc wrote:
clem wrote:There is no DC port of Residual.
Yes there is.
Have I missed something here?, are you doing the residual port too? :D

Please point me to a download if there is one.
mc
ScummVM Porter

Post by mc »

Yes, I am (or at least was, I haven't touched it in some time) doing the Residual port as well.

It's in the Residual SVN source tree. There is no binary distribution, because it isn't working well enough for that to be meaningful. But last time I checked it was possible to move around a little in the first few rooms of GF at least.

A big problem with the DC port of Residual is that these games use prerendered backgrounds with a prerendered Z-buffer. Since the 3D hardware in the Dreamcast does not use a Z-buffer in the traditional sense, I can't do anything with this precalulcated Z-buffer, and so the backgrounds do not get the depth they are supposed to have.
DCDayDreamer

Post by DCDayDreamer »

mc wrote:Yes, I am (or at least was, I haven't touched it in some time) doing the Residual port as well.

It's in the Residual SVN source tree. There is no binary distribution, because it isn't working well enough for that to be meaningful. But last time I checked it was possible to move around a little in the first few rooms of GF at least.

A big problem with the DC port of Residual is that these games use prerendered backgrounds with a prerendered Z-buffer. Since the 3D hardware in the Dreamcast does not use a Z-buffer in the traditional sense, I can't do anything with this precalulcated Z-buffer, and so the backgrounds do not get the depth they are supposed to have.
Thanks for the info Marcus, and I'm surprised that Grim Fandango plays at all (that game must be pushing the Dreamcast resources to the absolute limit).
garrythefish

Post by garrythefish »

Much like the theoretical Wii port, a Residual (no longer a ScummVM subproject, but a separate project) port might be done in future, and also the opinion of the ScummVM Dreamcast porter would be invaluable here too. As Residual that isn't that complete yet, it will probably require some time for the port to happen and also someone should do the coding for it.

Again, all such discussions concerning any of the possible ports should be done in the official Residual forum rather than here, as there's a 99.99% certainty that ScummVM won't support Grim Fandango ever, but there is a possibility of Grim Fandango being played on the console via a Dreamcast port of Residual.

Just to avoid confussion. Cheers :)