Burning Help

Subforum for discussion and help with ScummVM's Dreamcast port

Moderator: ScummVM Team

Big robot Bill

Burning Help

Post by Big robot Bill »

Hello all, I've been using ScummVM on my PC, DS and Dreamcast for sometime now. I heard of the new release and complied it by downloading the plain files and using BootDreams; doesn't work. Trying five different methods and five different discs, still nothing. (Quick note: I haven't compiled a Scumm disc for my DC before. I snagged some pre-complied one from somewhere)

The pre-complied Nero image from the site only made my DC's laser stutter at the "Dreamcast" screen and of course didn't work, as it just hanged there. I tried using different options in BootDreams for the DiscJuggler option (Audio/Data, Data/Data) and both of them wouldn't work. My final attempt came from a quick search I did where someone stated to use any 1st_Read.bin file from other homebrew. I noticed that the 1st_Read.bin wasn't in plainfiles from the start (I burn loads of DC homebrew stuff), thus I decided to give it a whirl with some random one I had on my hardrive (from the GenesisPlus emulator). I managed to get to the splash screen before a game ("Produced By or under license by Sega, etc and a ConsoleVision logo [From the GenesisPlus .bin, I believe]) and then a black screen (tried putting in DOTT and the DC recongized it (little beep noise) but nothing... (The other burns only took me in a loop through the DC's BIOS screen)

The discs I'm using are Magnavox brand (Just bought 'em, so it is the first time I'm using them). Disc quality so far in my DC's life hasn't mattered (I've used some AT&T discs and other cheap brands before). I have the DiscJuggler Trial and a Nero 6 Express (OEM thing). I've burned ALL the discs in BootDreams and I may do a test using DiscJuggler later.

Any help?

EDIT: (Offtopic - Can someone inform how to change one's username via PM? [There's a box in the profile to do it, unless only Admins can, then nevermind] Accidentally forgot to capitalize...)
DCDayDreamer

Post by DCDayDreamer »

Get the Dreamcast Plainfiles from the download section over here, extract them, and you should end up with 23 files within the directory. Here's a step-by-step mini guide of what to do next:

1 - Make a directory on your hard drive (named scummdc or whatever).
2 - Put the 'SCUMMVM.BIN' and 'IP.BIN' file in that directory (these are the boot/main engine files you need).

If you look back in your plainfiles directory, you'll see a load of '.PLG' files, these are plugin engine files, for example - 'QUEEN.PLG' is the Flight of the Amazon Queen game engine file. Next, you need to decide what game or games you want to put on your Dreamcast CD. For better performance, do not put all the .PLG files on your CD, only the ones you need for the games on there.

If you are making a CD with only LucasArts games, you only need to add the SCUMM.PLG to your compilation, if you want to add BASS to the CD, you'd add the 'SKY.PLG' file, if you added FOTAQ, you'd add the 'QUEEN.PLG' etc.

Let's say you wanted a Dreamcast CD with Day of the Tentacle, Sam & Max, FOTAQ and BASS: Make a directory within scummdc (or whatever you named it) for each game (doesn't matter what you name them), put the relevent game data in each directory, you should end up with something like this:

scummdc/ <- main directory on hard drive, containing:
bass/ <- directory containing BASS game data.
dott/ <- directory containing DOTT game data.
fotaq/ <- directory containing FOTAQ game data.
sammax/ <- directory containing Sam & Max game data.
IP.BIN
QUEEN.PLG
SCUMM.PLG
SCUMMVM.BIN
SKY.PLG

3 - Start BootDreams, choose to create a DiscJuggler image, browse for your scummdc directory on your hard drive, and the program will guide you through the rest. Once you've made the image you can burn it with BootDreams too.

Hope that helps.
Big robot Bill

Post by Big robot Bill »

Well, I finally made the disc a bit after PMing you after I tried a different technique. As I only wanted to burn a disc with all plugins and stuff, and I knew that each of my previous attempts failed, I threw in a 1st_Read.bin from one of DC-Evolution's Scumm discs. Worked like a charm and booted right on up. Thanks for the guide though, as someone else might need it as well.

The fact the Goblins 3 causes the DC to reset once it has to load something is causing me trouble. Now though, that's a different topic...
DCDayDreamer

Post by DCDayDreamer »

Glad to hear you got a working CD at last, which 1st_read.bin did you use from DC Evolution?. The reason I'm asking is that the BASS CD image is the only one with the latest official release, (it uses ScummVM version 0.X.0) the other CD images use previous versions. I do intend to update the other CD images and add a few more in the near future by the way.

I do not have a copy of Goblins 3 so I can't do any tests to see what the problem is for you, if I can find out though, I'll post any info here.
Big robot Bill

Post by Big robot Bill »

Yes, I'm using the one from the BASS build. And thanks for looking into the Goblins 3 bug as well. You should get the game, it is a good one.
soliars

Post by soliars »

Yes,it is very interesting.

I really very love it. :twisted:
Maturion

Post by Maturion »

Use BootDreams. It's free and works fine.
grim107

Post by grim107 »

I need help. I've coppied scummvm.bin and ip.bin into a directory (ScummVm DC). I've also coppied all game data into their own directories in the main one. I have ATLANTIS, SAMNMAX, DOTT, MONKEY1, MONKEY2, INDY3-VGA, MANIAC, and ZAK-FM. I got bootdreams and told it to compile everything into a diskjuggler image. Once that was done, I told it to burn the diskjuggler image to a cd. When I try and put the cd into my Dreamcast, it doesn't recognize the disk. Can someone please help me? Thanks.
Stryfe

Post by Stryfe »

Along with the above thread info, I'd suggest reading the ScummVM readme: Read Me
grim107 wrote:and ZAK-FM.
I also recommend reading the forum post rules, specifically #0.

This general forum questions etiquette has helped me in the past as well.

grim107

Post by grim107 »

Stryfe wrote: I also recommend reading the forum post rules, specifically #0.
How is my question breaking the forum rules? I legagly own these games on cd and am not redistributing their data. Legagly, you are always allowed to make backups as long as you don't distribute them.

Still looking for help...
Stryfe

Post by Stryfe »

Well it was the casual way you asked to create a disc with all of the most popular Lucasarts games, with the added combination of a extremely rare FM-Towns game that made me suspicious.

Like it says above create a main folder; Example - "ScummVM". Place the "scummvm.bin", and the "ip.bin" into that folder.

Next extract the required game data files from each of their discs, and place them into their own folders in the main directory; Example - "ScummVM/DOTT", "ScummVM/Atlantis", etc.

Finally place the required plugin (.plg) for each game "engine" that the games use into the main folder; Example - "ScummVM/scumm.plg". Read the readme to determine what plugin is required for what game...

Load up Bootdreams, direct it to the folder "ScummVM", select the "audio/data" method, and for easier burning select "CDI" as the image type. If it gives you a message about not finding the main binary, manually select the "scummvm.bin" from the list displayed. Create the CDI and then burn with app of your choice like Discjuggler or Alcohol 120.

Because ScummVM replaces the original executable, it doesn't have a file browser, or file-listing capability. So in order to reduce the Dreamcast's GD drive from being thrashed while scanning the disc, you should limit the games per disc to about 4 max, and only use one engine plugin (.plg) per disc.