Running FM-Towns-Versions

Subforum for discussion and help with ScummVM's Dreamcast port

Moderator: ScummVM Team

media2

Running FM-Towns-Versions

Post by media2 »

Hi, how can I set the platform for my Monkey Island 1+2 to "FM-Towns" with the dreamcast port of scummvm? Scummvm does not properly identify the files as fm-town-versions. Result: game crash, "unkown scene handling, 30". Scummvm assumes, that the files are dos-versions. How can I improve the detection?
eriktorbjorn
ScummVM Developer

Re: Running FM-Towns-Versions

Post by eriktorbjorn »

media2 wrote:Hi, how can I set the platform for my Monkey Island 1+2 to "FM-Towns" with the dreamcast port of scummvm? Scummvm does not properly identify the files as fm-town-versions. Result: game crash, "unkown scene handling, 30". Scummvm assumes, that the files are dos-versions. How can I improve the detection?
I don't know about the Dreamcast port, and I don't have any FM-Towns games of any kind, but on the desktop version of ScummVM you can use the Edit Game... button to change the Platform setting.
media2

Post by media2 »

yes I know, I can run both games with SCUMMVM for PC, but I cannot find similar settings for the dreamcast version
fabellian

Post by fabellian »

yes me too :cry:
is there a solution to run indy 3 (256 colors) and Zac FM TOWN

PLEAAAAASE :cry: :cry:
fabellian

Post by fabellian »

Well it's probably because you use the 0.9 version of scumm
the brand new one 0.9.1 has NO PROBLEM TO RUN FM TOWNS VERSION OF GAMES. I tested it just last night and it works perfectly 8)

:o :o :o
media2

Post by media2 »

well, even the 0.9.1. version for pc doesn't properly detect the my fm-towns version, as long as I don't manually change the platform setting to "fm-towns". For the dreamcast port, I can't change these settings, that's why the game does not work.
Is there a way to manipulate my gamefiles, in order to be detected correctly by scummvm?

or perhaps you can tell me step by step how you did create the cd. I guess you used the plain files from the download area?

btw: I used the plain files of 0.9.1. In the version history is mentioned that the detection of indy3 fm-towns was improved. But I want to play monkey island 1+2 fm-towns, so I would need detection improvement for those versions :-)
fabellian

Post by fabellian »

I explain you how I did it (and I'm not a pro AT ALL and everything IS OK WITH MY 9.1 VERSION :lol: )
So I just use my scummVM 9.1 (whom I downloaded from this site - the nero image version to have a self boot which I burned with... well Nero :P )
and on another cd, I put all my lucas arts games in separate folder (monkey island 1,mi 2, indy3 FM-TOWNS, Zak FM TOWNS, ect...)
I put my SCUMMVM 9.1 cd in the dreamcast
When the list appeared I swap with my "games cd"
and I tell you every FM TOWNS or whatever is recognized by the 9.1 version. Even the FM towns version with french traduction. IT SHOULD WORK FORYOU TOO !!! :wink:
IF you still have problems I surely know that it's NOT POSSIBLE to change any information as audio/graphic/... in the dreamcast version as we can do in the PC version
Last edited by fabellian on Wed Nov 15, 2006 2:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
media2

Post by media2 »

ok, so you used the zip-file "Dreamcast Nero Image & Demos". I'll try that. I didn't try to put the game-files on a seperate cd and then do a disk-swap. So you have to swap the disk when you see the list with the demo files, correct?
fingolfin
Retired

Post by fingolfin »

Besides all that has been said here, I have to wonder why the detection fails. In theory, ScummVM *should* correctly detect the FM-TOWNS version of MI and MI2. What MD5 checksums do your *.000 / 000.* files have?

Maybe there is a bug in the detector there, but I have no good way to test that, lacking the data files for the FM-TOWNS version of those games.
fingolfin
Retired

Post by fingolfin »

After thinking a bit about this, I simply made myself a "fake" MI/MI2 FM-TOWNS version, by creating pseudo MONKEY(2).000 files with random data, then replacing the MI/MI2 FM-TOWNS entries in my MD5 database temporarily by those... that way, I was able to test the detection of those games despite all.

And guess what, it worked perfectly... So I have to assume you are using some kind of patched/modified version of those games... ?
fabellian

Post by fabellian »

media2 wrote:ok, so you used the zip-file "Dreamcast Nero Image & Demos". I'll try that. I didn't try to put the game-files on a seperate cd and then do a disk-swap. So you have to swap the disk when you see the list with the demo files, correct?
Yes correct (BUT by the way you have to know that to burn a playable nero image for dreamcast, you have to do it with a 5.5 version of nero - apparently, it does not work with the 6 version - don't know why, I think that it won't boot with another version of nero - anyway with the 5.5 everything is ok).