Will Myst work on Dreamcast.?

Subforum for discussion and help with ScummVM's Dreamcast port

Moderator: ScummVM Team

Bloodflow

Will Myst work on Dreamcast.?

Post by Bloodflow »

The Mohawk/TODO page says that Myst is completable with the Mowhawk plugin, but it is only listed on the engines page under "In Progress engines" Also, on the Myst page it says that a WIP engine is available in the git repository, What is that. Bottom line, can I get this to work. Also Riven? Thank you.
digitall
ScummVM Developer

Post by digitall »

The Mohawk engine is not yet officially supported as it is incomplete, hence why the engine is listed as Work In Progress.

Git is the source code revision control system used by the developers. If you want to test this engine in it's current state, I'd suggest that you download a development testing build for the Dreamcast from: http://buildbot.scummvm.org/builds.html and then master a CD with the Mohawk plugin and your Myst/Riven datafiles.

Please note that this is not supported in any way, mastering a DC bootable CD-R is a bit complex and this may not even work / run since the DC has very limited RAM of 16MB, but feel free to try.
Bloodflow

Post by Bloodflow »

After making a coaster, I switched the .plg file and the .bin files for the ones in the stable download. Now the Dreamcast will start the plugin and shows Myst as a choice, but when I try to play I get the message "Error running game: Game data not found" What is causing this error? I have checked the data files list for Myst and I have everything listed. I have tried putting the game files on the root and in it's own folder and neither seem to work. Also, can the DC handle the .mov files or can I convert them to an easier format for the Dreamcast to play? I am currently wasting a few CDRs testing different things, trying to get it to work.
fuzzie
ScummVM Developer

Post by fuzzie »

Bloodflow wrote:After making a coaster, I switched the .plg file and the .bin files for the ones in the stable download.
You can't use the .bin files from the stable download. As digitall said, you need a development testing build.
Rolly

Re: Will Myst work on Dreamcast.?

Post by Rolly »

The game works great, especially on GD-ROM replacement module - GDEMU .
There is only a small problem on the Dreamcast ScummVM port - the game screen position is not centered.

Here is a sample video - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qBtpJ5gLpWM
Maybe it can be improved?