ScummVM won't boot, what am I doing wrong?

Subforum for discussion and help with ScummVM's Dreamcast port

Moderator: ScummVM Team

lensman

ScummVM won't boot, what am I doing wrong?

Post by lensman »

I am trying to write a self-boot Dreamcast disc in order to play some SCI games. This is what the folder contains:

ECO1 (EcoQuest 1 CD)
ECO2 (EcoQuest 2 Floppy DOS)
SQ4 (Space Quest 4 CD)
SQ5 (Space Quest 5 Floppy DOS)
MUFT (Mixed Up Fairy Tales)
MUMGE (Mixed Mother Goose Enhanced)
SCI.SLG
SCUMMVM.BIN
IP.BIN

Here is what I have done so far:
  • I downloaded Bootdreams version 1.06
  • I directed it to the SCUMMVM folder.
  • I went to the Dummy File menu and chose the 700MB option
  • I Pressed the "Process Button"
  • I burned the resulting CDI image with ImgBurn (It can burn CDI images with the Padus Plugin)
Anyway, I insert the disk to my beloved Dreamcast (the only next-gen console with a soul that STILL to this day refuses to die -yeah, I am a Sega Fanboy)... and I get thrown to the DC's File Menu.

What am I missing? What am I doing wrong?
Dark-Star

Post by Dark-Star »

I had similar problems when burning with anything other than DiscJuggler.

I think it uses some advanced CDI options that all other programs ignore (like session-at-once, which is required for DC discs IIRC)

-Darkstar
Stryfe

Post by Stryfe »

Test the image in NullDC before burning the disc. If it doesn't even load in that, it wont work in a DC.

If it does load in NullDC, that doesn't mean it will in a real, but it's better than the above odds.

Personally, my best results were with renaming the SCUMMVM.BIN to "1ST_READ.BIN", using Bootdreams "Audio/Data" format, and burning with the shareware "IMGBurn" program.

Just copy the required "dll" needed (you'll see it mentioned in the IMGburn console) from Bootdreams "tools" directory into IMGBurn's installed folder.

But... even before you go creating a disc image, navigate to those directories with the PC, Mac, or Linux version (same as the DC you downloaded) of ScummVM, and see if it recognizes the games.

On a side note, if you create a scummvm.ini for the DC version, it doesn't have to do a gd-r thrashing search of the disc. It'll just go by your defined paths to find the games.
lensman

Post by lensman »

@Stryfe. Tried it your way. I got a message saying that the IP is pointing to the wrong file and if I wanted to correct it. I clicked on "OK", created the image, burned with both ImgBurn and Alcohol 120% Hmm... I burned with ImgBurn and I burned with Alcohol 120% and...

...Drat...Still doesn't work no matter how I burn it.

Still nothing, and I can't get NullDC to run because it says that it's missing a DLL, that's already installed in the system.

All the other self-boot images works, and I can get the Dreamcast to run the nrg files that are available for download here, so I must be doing something wrong.

Has anyone made the latest version of ScummVM work with their Dreamcast. If yes, what did you have in your folder?
Stryfe

Post by Stryfe »

lensman wrote:Still nothing, and I can't get NullDC to run because it says that it's missing a DLL, that's already installed in the system.
What dll are you referring to?
lensman wrote:All the other self-boot images works, and I can get the Dreamcast to run the nrg files that are available for download here, so I must be doing something wrong.
NRG are a horrible format to distribute Dreamcast images, but the best format CDI (Discjuggler) is commercially dead.

I simply extract those image contents, and rebuild them as CDI.