change the language

Subforum for discussion and help with ScummVM's Dreamcast port

Moderator: ScummVM Team

ShindouGo

change the language

Post by ShindouGo »

Hello,

I can't change the language in the game Beneath a Steel Sky.

Under ScummVM PC it is simple to edit before launching the game and to choose the language but in the games menu on Dreamcast there is no option to edit the games.

Anyone know how to do this ? A file to modify or a file to add ?

I want to switch the language to French.

During the game I tried all the keys on the dreamcast and the keyboard but I couldn't find it.

If anyone can help me, thanks in advance;)
Last edited by ShindouGo on Tue Aug 11, 2020 7:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Praetorian
ScummVM Developer

Re: change the language

Post by Praetorian »

ShindouGo wrote: Tue Aug 11, 2020 6:48 pm Hello,

I can't change the language in the game Beneath a Steel Sky.

Under ScummVM PC it is simple to edit before launching the game and to choose the language but in the games menu on Dreamcast there is no option to edit the games.

Anyone know how to do this ? A file to modify or a file to add ?

I want to switch the language to French.

During the game I tried all the keys on the dreamcast and the keyboard but I couldn't find it.

English

If anyone can help me, thanks in advance;)
I wasn't able to find something specifically about this on our wiki (https://wiki.scummvm.org/index.php?title=Dreamcast) or the README file (https://github.com/scummvm/scummvm/blob ... /README.md)

However, there is this old thread where language selection via a custom scummvm.ini file is discussed, so it should be possible - albeit the custom scummvm.ini would override the automatic detection of games, so you would have to add them all manually in the scummvm.ini file.
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=9524

The sample ini file there seems to have some syntax errors to me though. This should be a more correct example:

Code: Select all

[frenchsky]
gameid=sky
engineid=sky
subtitles=true
language=fr
path=whateverfolder2/
description=Beneath a Steel Sky w/ French subtitles
You could probably copy your own scummvm.ini file settings from your PC setup and adjust the paths (eg. "whateverfolder2" in the above sample should be replaced by the correct path to the Beneath a Steel Sky folder on your disc).

From our README file, other possible language values (they all only affect subtitles):

Code: Select all

Beneath a Steel Sky
    gb  - English (Great Britain) (default)
    en  - English (USA)
    de  - German
    fr  - French
    it  - Italian
    pt  - Portuguese
    es  - Spanish
    se  - Swedish
ShindouGo

Post by ShindouGo »

Hello,

Thanks I succeeded ;)
The wiki helped me :)

here is what to put in order for it to work :
[sky]
gameid=sky
language=fr
path=Beneath
description=Beneath A Steel Sky Francais
To be adapted of course according to the language you want and the name of the path of the folder containing the game files ;)

Edit : Sorry I didn't see that you helped me out above ;)
Did you add it later or was it me who hadn't read everything? :lol:
Praetorian
ScummVM Developer

Post by Praetorian »

ShindouGo wrote: Tue Aug 11, 2020 7:48 pm Hello,

Thanks I succeeded ;)
The wiki helped me :)

here is what to put in order for it to work :
[sky]
gameid=sky
language=fr
path=Beneath
description=Beneath A Steel Sky Francais
To be adapted of course according to the language you want and the name of the path of the folder containing the game files ;)

Edit : Sorry I didn't see that you helped me out above ;)
Did you add it later or was it me who hadn't read everything? :lol:
I'm glad you got it working.

I did update my post a few minutes after I posted it, to provide what I assumed would be the correct syntax for the scummvm.ini file -- I don't own a dreamcast though, so there was no way to test it.
ShindouGo

Post by ShindouGo »

thank you anyway for your help ;)

I take this opportunity to ask you for other information :

I couldn't get the Geisha game to work in French. I recovered the amiga game files (an adf file) using the dynunadf utility. When I run it, it identifies it to me as the English version ? When I test it in amiga emulator Winuae, it is the French version.
I tested by adding a scumm.ini file by adding the line language = fr. When I run the game it tells me it can't find the files ?

Another problem:

I have games where I would like to use the cracked versions to avoid having the protection codes to put.
As much on a PC, opening a pdf for the protection codes is simple, as much on the dreamcast, it means looking on a PC (or a smartphone), which is not really ideal.
When you launch a cracked version, a non-cracked version starts.
And there are a lot of them like the Delphine Software games (Cruise for a corpse, Operation Stealth, future wars) and others like ween the prophecy and Bargon Attack.

Last problem: In The Legend of Kyrandia - Book 3 game, the subtitles are displayed half a second before disappearing. It doesn't give you time to read them.

Do you have any solutions for this ?

Edit : another problem with Freddy Fish 3 , 4 and 5. Parentheses "(" and ")" are not allowed in file names on Dreamcast. Automatically it transforms the name of the MaliceMCV.(A) files into MaliceMCV._A_ when we create the iso.
When I launch the game he replies of course that he does not find the MaliceMCV.(A) file.
MapleSyrup

Post by MapleSyrup »

ShindouGo wrote: Wed Aug 12, 2020 6:40 pmI couldn't get the Geisha game to work in French. I recovered the amiga game files (an adf file) using the dynunadf utility. When I run it, it identifies it to me as the English version ? When I test it in amiga emulator Winuae, it is the French version.
I tested by adding a scumm.ini file by adding the line language = fr. When I run the game it tells me it can't find the files ?
Does the game run OK when it detects it as English?
ShindouGo wrote: Wed Aug 12, 2020 6:40 pmI have games where I would like to use the cracked versions to avoid having the protection codes to put.

The ScummVM team purposely doesn't allow cracked versions of games. These will never be supported. See forum rule #0.
ShindouGo wrote: Wed Aug 12, 2020 6:40 pmLast problem: In The Legend of Kyrandia - Book 3 game, the subtitles are displayed half a second before disappearing. It doesn't give you time to read them.
Try adjusting the talkspeed setting in settings.ini (ie: talkspeed=60)
ShindouGo

Post by ShindouGo »

MapleSyrup wrote: Fri Aug 28, 2020 1:55 pm
ShindouGo wrote: Wed Aug 12, 2020 6:40 pmI couldn't get the Geisha game to work in French. I recovered the amiga game files (an adf file) using the dynunadf utility. When I run it, it identifies it to me as the English version ? When I test it in amiga emulator Winuae, it is the French version.
Does the game run OK when it detects it as English?
ShindouGo wrote: Wed Aug 12, 2020 6:40 pmI have games where I would like to use the cracked versions to avoid having the protection codes to put.

The ScummVM team purposely doesn't allow cracked versions of games. These will never be supported. See forum rule #0.
ShindouGo wrote: Wed Aug 12, 2020 6:40 pmLast problem: In The Legend of Kyrandia - Book 3 game, the subtitles are displayed half a second before disappearing. It doesn't give you time to read them.
Try adjusting the talkspeed setting in settings.ini (ie: talkspeed=60)
sorry for such a late reply :)
No in fact it detects the French version of Geisha as being the English version.
If I add to force the detection of French in the scumm.ini file, that's when it gives me an error message.

For Kyrandia, yes I have to test by trying adjusting the talkspeed setting in settings.ini