Shivers 1

All the inane chatter goes in here. If you're curious about whether we will support a game, post HERE not in General Discussion :)

Moderator: ScummVM Team

User avatar
sev
ScummVM Lead
Posts: 2078
Joined: Wed Sep 21, 2005 1:06 pm
Contact:

Post by sev »

bradsmithsite wrote:"ScummVM is a program which allows you to run certain classic graphical point-and-click adventure games, provided you already have their data files. The clever part about this: ScummVM just replaces the executables shipped with the games, allowing you to play them on systems for which they were never designed!"

Copying data (i.e. the game) onto a different system is illegal.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Private_copying_levy
We are not selling anything. Neither we deal with recordable media. And running programs on a different system was never legal, otherwise you would not be able to use any DOS or Windows95 software with your modern PC.

Your arguments are void.


Eugene
bradsmithsite
Got a warning
Posts: 9
Joined: Mon Jan 23, 2012 1:39 pm

Post by bradsmithsite »

Shivers requires the original CD to run, as MOST of the point and click adventures.

Copying the disc is illegal. Principle of "private copy levy" applies.
User avatar
md5
ScummVM Developer
Posts: 2250
Joined: Thu Nov 03, 2005 9:31 pm
Location: Athens, Greece

Post by md5 »

bradsmithsite wrote:"ScummVM is a program which allows you to run certain classic graphical point-and-click adventure games, provided you already have their data files. The clever part about this: ScummVM just replaces the executables shipped with the games, allowing you to play them on systems for which they were never designed!"

Copying data (i.e. the game) onto a different system is illegal.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Private_copying_levy
Excuse me? Why are you pasting links without even bothering to read them?

Let me make this clearer for you:
legislators allow private copies for two reasons: firstly, because otherwise the enforcement would be unfeasible for private reasons, and secondly because the administrative burden would be disproportional
Mixing copies for private usage of files you legally own with illegal file sharing is just stupid. It's like mixing apples with oranges. So don't try and find an excuse here, and please read the sources you're linking to before further embarassing yourself.
bradsmithsite
Got a warning
Posts: 9
Joined: Mon Jan 23, 2012 1:39 pm

Post by bradsmithsite »

As I said, the PRINCIPLE applies.

Shivers REQUIRES the original CD to PLAY and there is NO WAY TO PLAY IT without making a copy of the disc, which is forbidden by Sierra.
User avatar
md5
ScummVM Developer
Posts: 2250
Joined: Thu Nov 03, 2005 9:31 pm
Location: Athens, Greece

Post by md5 »

No, no principle applies in this case. This law has been discussed for cases like iTunes and iCloud, for example:
http://www.thestar.com/business/article ... -in-canada

Again, we are talking about two completely different things:
- Using a product you have legally bought on a device you own (say, a phone). This is like copying music from iTunes to your phone. Last time I looked, I could still listen to music on my phone or iPod legally, otherwise giants like Apple wouldn't exist
- Getting a product and sharing it with others who don't own it. This is considered a blatant theft, as you have bought said product for your own private use, and you are illegally sharing it with others. This is illegal

You are trying to give away pirated copies (and you are claiming that this would "help" others, too), and you are bringing private copying levy fees to the table. Thus, you are attempting to justify piracy. Again, with your logic, legal services such as iTunes and iCloud wouldn't exist. Would you like to bring a company like Apple to court for this?

I suggest you re-read the copyright act, and not try and promote that illegal file sharing is "cool" by bringing in flawed logic ("hey, everything is outlawed nowadays, so it serves them right to pirate everything". Right? Wrong)
bradsmithsite
Got a warning
Posts: 9
Joined: Mon Jan 23, 2012 1:39 pm

Post by bradsmithsite »

Double standards.

Lets get overboard. I'm not talking about the latest Bioshock, but an old DOS based game that isn't sold anymore.

Make a PERSONAL backup copy of one of your movies on DVD, oh, wait, you can't, you need specialized software to circumvent the copy protection.

Get a life.
User avatar
md5
ScummVM Developer
Posts: 2250
Joined: Thu Nov 03, 2005 9:31 pm
Location: Athens, Greece

Post by md5 »

bradsmithsite wrote:Double standards.

Lets get overboard. I'm not talking about the latest Bioshock, but an old DOS based game that isn't sold anymore.

Make a PERSONAL backup copy of one of your movies on DVD, oh, wait, you can't, you need specialized software to circumvent the copy protection.

Get a life.
But it doesn't matter if the game in question is new or not. Copyright rules hold for 95+ years. So your argument has no ground in this case, you're just making this up and are trying to justify that "abandonware" is legal. It's not. Read the FAQ, it has been written for a reason.

As for copy protection: preventing personal copies is a gray area. But again, why are you bringing this up? We don't condone piracy here and you are trying to convince us that piracy should be allowed because these games "are no longer sold, so it's ok to copy them". Which we won't accept, as copyright laws for such cases exist and don't allow illegal distribution. So this whole discussion is pointless and it's getting nowhere.

Again, here is the very first forum rule:
0) No Warez. No Abandonware discussions. Links to content of a questionable nature, asking for, offering, or asking for help/helping to process such content in any way or form is not tolerated. No, it's not okay to request parts of a game either, even if you already own another version of it, or to replace damaged media. Consider Copyright FAQ.
Is there something that you don't understand here? Or are you just trolling for the sake of it?
User avatar
LordHoto
ScummVM Developer
Posts: 1029
Joined: Sun Oct 30, 2005 3:58 pm
Location: Germany

Post by LordHoto »

I am not sure where this is going, but personal copies are allowed in (some?) countries. At any rate offering someone else a virtual machine hard disk with Win3.11, which the other person said he does not own, including some copyright protected datafiles, is certainly not legal. So I am not how exactly copying your datafiles to other devices you own is anything to compare this to.
bradsmithsite
Got a warning
Posts: 9
Joined: Mon Jan 23, 2012 1:39 pm

Post by bradsmithsite »

scoriae wrote:He just told a guy to email him (and provided his email address) for a virtual hard drive with three pirated games on it... and no one is deleting the post? what the hell man?
Up yours "scoriae" in 3D. That's from three different ways. I would show you the bird, but you can't type it.

Believe what you want. This is boring me.
User avatar
md5
ScummVM Developer
Posts: 2250
Joined: Thu Nov 03, 2005 9:31 pm
Location: Athens, Greece

Post by md5 »

bradsmithsite wrote:
scoriae wrote:He just told a guy to email him (and provided his email address) for a virtual hard drive with three pirated games on it... and no one is deleting the post? what the hell man?
Up yours "scoriae" in 3D. That's from three different ways. I would show you the bird, but you can't type it.

Believe what you want. This is boring me.
This is getting nowhere, other than random swearing. We don't support piracy, and swearing at others isn't tolerated at all. Locking thread, as it has turned into a flamewar. Go away, troll.
Locked