GOG closes down... :(

All the inane chatter goes in here. If you're curious about whether we will support a game, post HERE not in General Discussion :)

Moderator: ScummVM Team

Mau1wurf1977

Re: No more link to GOG

Post by Mau1wurf1977 »

Mim wrote:
rivadolmo wrote:I remember reading some interviews with GOG founders and they were bragging about how hard they are working to make old games compatible with modern computers yet they did not mention DOSBox or ScummVM. They would hardly sell anything without DOSBox and ScummVM.
That is true...

Lucasarts is one of the few that have their own software and don't rely on ScummVM or DOSBox for their games (SE Monkey Island, Last Crusade, Fate of Atlantis and The Dig).

Most other Retro Games I got (I also got a lot from Steam) use DOSBox.

Remember games that use DOSBox on Steam also don't have DRM. You get all the files, so just grab them onto a external HDD and that's all you need. You can copy them over onto a vintage machine or play it in DOSBox.

The Space Quest and Kings Quest Collection was like that. Same with the older Doom games. No DRM either...

So for GOG to say the games don't have DRM is correct, but most old games from Steam don't have DRM either. Only when you need to redownload the game.
clone2727
Retired

Post by clone2727 »

Mau1wurf1977 wrote:Lucasarts is one of the few that have their own software and don't rely on ScummVM or DOSBox for their games (SE Monkey Island, Last Crusade, Fate of Atlantis and The Dig).
For the non-SE versions, we can thank Aaron Giles for the Windows ports of the SCUMM games. Beyond SCUMM, they don't use an updated interpreter (@see: Dark Forces).
Mau1wurf1977

Post by Mau1wurf1977 »

clone2727 wrote:
Mau1wurf1977 wrote:Lucasarts is one of the few that have their own software and don't rely on ScummVM or DOSBox for their games (SE Monkey Island, Last Crusade, Fate of Atlantis and The Dig).
For the non-SE versions, we can thank Aaron Giles for the Windows ports of the SCUMM games. Beyond SCUMM, they don't use an updated interpreter (@see: Dark Forces).
Thanks for the info! Quite interesting...

So we have to thank Aaron Giles that we can't play these games in DosBox / ScummVM ;-)

I found with the Lucasarts Steam games (the non SE games) the audio sounds quite a bit different and it would have been awesome to use my real MT-32 for Fate of Atlantis and my Gameblaster card for Last Crusade...
eriktorbjorn
ScummVM Developer

Post by eriktorbjorn »

Mau1wurf1977 wrote: So we have to thank Aaron Giles that we can't play these games in DosBox / ScummVM ;-)
On the other hand, it means that means we don't have to answer all, those, "bug" reports for them. :)
Mau1wurf1977

Post by Mau1wurf1977 »

eriktorbjorn wrote: On the other hand, it means that means we don't have to answer "bug" reports for them. :)
Hmm I wasn't aware of these bugs...

I just tried the Steam version of Last Crusade and Fate of Atlantis and I remember why I didn't play these versions.

The mouse cursor can move past the left and right ends of the screen, which is distracting.

I also find that sometimes a click doesn't register. E.g. sometimes I have to repeat a command. It's weird to explain but it's something the DOS and ScummVM versions don't experience.
eriktorbjorn
ScummVM Developer

Post by eriktorbjorn »

Mau1wurf1977 wrote: Hmm I wasn't aware of these bugs...
That was my point: None of them are bugs, but at least two of them have been reported as ScummVM bugs in the past. In fact, I'm pretty sure that the tomb puzzle in The Dig has been reported several times.
Mau1wurf1977

Post by Mau1wurf1977 »

LOL ok now I got it :lol: