Will SCUMMVM support...

All the inane chatter goes in here. If you're curious about whether we will support a game, post HERE not in General Discussion :)

Moderator: ScummVM Team

md5
ScummVM Developer

Re: My 2 cemts (or 3 games)

Post by md5 »

Truus999 wrote:Hi,

first of all thanks to Lordhoto & Athrxx for their work on Lands of Lore. I've been playing the game, updating my scumm svn almost every day, and enjoying it a lot. I am in the white tower, third level, at the moment and those suckers are tough. Read in a solution that I need a valens cube to make live easy but those are gone. Anybody got a hack for a save file for me :oops:
Well, you're a bit stuck :( If you haven't got the crucible of faith from the 3rd level of the White Tower, and you got no Vaelan's cube left, you need to reload from an earlier save. The second barrier that Scotia raises should be destroyed after you're done with the 3rd level of the White Tower, not before...

That's the only no-win situation in this game :(
Alternatively, if you're VERY patient, you could equip everyone with emerald blades, and try your luck, but that level is practically impossible to beat without a Vaelan's cube :(
LordHoto
ScummVM Developer

Re: My 2 cemts (or 3 games)

Post by LordHoto »

Truus999 wrote: first of all thanks to Lordhoto & Athrxx for their work on Lands of Lore.
You're welcome :-). Make that _athrxx & LordHoto though, since _athrxx did most of the work on this one ;-).
Truus999 wrote: The real reason for this post are games to request. I've heard that Lands of lore uses a newer version of the engine that was used for eye of the beholder 1 & 2, both also made by westwood and released by SSI. If this is true would you be interested in adapting the Kyra engine for those 2 ganes. If the answer is yes I can supply a floppy version of both games.
We thought about EoB II (at least _athrxx and me) too actually :-). I don't have any EoB II (nor EoB I) version currently, I'll get a Japanese PC-98 copy soon though, but that one is different to the DOS version. As far as we know EoB I uses a much earlier version of the engine. AFAIK _athrxx did look a little bit into both already, of course currently there's no real mature plan to support them, since Lands of Lore still requires a bit of work.

Anyway if you are really wanting do donate a (legal) copy of both games I would love to get them ;-). You might just want to contact me via email for that (PM will be ok too).
Who'sThere

Post by Who'sThere »

Couple Discworld questions here.

1) Anyone know if the ScummVM team plans on adding support for the Sega Sturn version of Discworld?

2) Will the James Woodcock enhanced music be supported soon, or is it up to the freeware status of the game?
DCT

Post by DCT »

Arantor wrote:As ever, support for new games would require either the source code (and lots of time from dedicated volunteers), or tons of enthusiasm (and many, many more buckets of time from dedicated volunteers) to make the magic happen.

I'd say Fable looks like it might be in scope for ScummVM, but Shadowgate looks very much like it would be out of the scope of ScummVM; it looks more RPG-ish than adventure-ish (yes, I know about Elvira; it runs on the same core engine as other games though)
Are you sure your thinking of the orginal Shadowgate? because I know it's two sequels Beyond Shadowgate and Shadowgate 64 were more RPGish so maybe you have it confused with them. But you are right about the engine it was orginaly used for Deja 'vu and it's sequel Death in Vegas as well as Uninvited.
Paolo86

Post by Paolo86 »

Has anyone a Dreamweb engine in the works?
Harrypoppins

Post by Harrypoppins »

And Prisoner of Ice ? A possible adaptation for ScummVM ?
Michael_Me

Post by Michael_Me »

Actually I have been pondering to start "looking deeper" into one (hard choice) of these games:

1) Prisoner of Ice
2) Dreamweb
3) Gabriel Knight - sins of the fathers

3 will eventually in the far future (im guessing) be supported by the guys working upon integrating the FreeScii engine into ScummVm. And since my c++ skills haven't been used for some time now, I think I would generate to much "noise" in this project.

2 Looks like a good candidate. My only fear is that the game is hardcoded, and therefore a **** to reengineer and reimplement. Someone know if this is the case?

1 Would be a really good candidate. The game itself isn't very complicated in terms of choices ie. the set of "availble actions" is limited (as far as I remember).

Based upon my intuition I think I will look into 1 (Prisoner of Ice). If someone have information regarding the filetypes of the game, any help will be appreciated.

(btw I have searched this forum and have found the pointers regarding creating a new engine, and the links to IDA + the deassembling guidelines)

/Michael
fingolfin
Retired

Post by fingolfin »

Good luck with that. Make sure to check out our Wiki for further information on developing engines for ScummVM; in particular our HOWTO write a ScummVM engine. It might be slightly out of date, but should still be helpful. I recommend browsing the Wiki in general a bit, too.
MusicallyInspired

Post by MusicallyInspired »

I wish you luck as well. Been looking forward to Prisoner of Ice support for some time now.
eriktorbjorn
ScummVM Developer

Post by eriktorbjorn »

Michael_Me wrote: [Dreamweb] Looks like a good candidate. My only fear is that the game is hardcoded, and therefore a **** to reengineer and reimplement. Someone know if this is the case?
I have no idea, but from what I remember the executable is pretty small which I guess could be a good sign.
Michael_Me wrote: [Prisoner of Ice] Would be a really good candidate. The game itself isn't very complicated in terms of choices ie. the set of "availble actions" is limited (as far as I remember).
There is some work in progress on its predecessor, Shadow of the Comet, but I don't know if they share the same game engine.
john_doe
ScummVM Developer

Post by john_doe »

I've worked on reverse engineering both Dreamweb and Prisoner of Ice (amongst several other games :)). The Dreamweb RE is almost complete and I know a lot of stuff but for some reason I don't remember I didn't go on with reimplementing it, although I have some code.
Prisoner of Ice does share very little code with Shadow of the Comet, mainly the animation data has a similar extended format. Scripts, compression, archives etc. are different, though.
Michael_Me

Post by Michael_Me »

john_doe wrote:I've worked on reverse engineering both Dreamweb and Prisoner of Ice (amongst several other games :)). The Dreamweb RE is almost complete and I know a lot of stuff but for some reason I don't remember I didn't go on with reimplementing it, although I have some code.
Prisoner of Ice does share very little code with Shadow of the Comet, mainly the animation data has a similar extended format. Scripts, compression, archives etc. are different, though.
Any chance that your work would be made public in the near future (Im especially interested in POI). Does the "share very little code with Shadow of the Comet" means that the game, would be best suited for its own engine in scummvm or would it make sense to "share" the comet engine.

/Michael
Paolo86

Post by Paolo86 »

Excited about the developments. Kudos to all of you.
Freddo

Post by Freddo »

john_doe wrote:I've worked on reverse engineering both Dreamweb and Prisoner of Ice (amongst several other games :)). The Dreamweb RE is almost complete and I know a lot of stuff but for some reason I don't remember I didn't go on with reimplementing it, although I have some code.
That's awesome, I hope we will see Dreamweb in ScummVM eventually :)
Harrypoppins

Post by Harrypoppins »

possible for Captain Blood (atari st) ?