Will SCUMMVM support...

All the inane chatter goes in here. If you're curious about whether we will support a game, post HERE not in General Discussion :)

Moderator: ScummVM Team

Journeyman

Post by Journeyman »

I'd like to know if the following games will ever be supported by ScummVM:

- Fable
- Shadowgate
Arantor

Post by Arantor »

As ever, support for new games would require either the source code (and lots of time from dedicated volunteers), or tons of enthusiasm (and many, many more buckets of time from dedicated volunteers) to make the magic happen.

I'd say Fable looks like it might be in scope for ScummVM, but Shadowgate looks very much like it would be out of the scope of ScummVM; it looks more RPG-ish than adventure-ish (yes, I know about Elvira; it runs on the same core engine as other games though)
eriktorbjorn
ScummVM Developer

Post by eriktorbjorn »

Arantor wrote: but Shadowgate looks very much like it would be out of the scope of ScummVM; it looks more RPG-ish than adventure-ish
Not really, unless the game changed a lot since I played the Macintosh version back in the late 80'ies. You do encounter some monsters in the game, but for all practical purposes they can be considered another form of locked door: Use the correct object on it, and it goes away. There's no RPG-style combat, as far as I can recall.
Kortes

Post by Kortes »

It's a dream to play The longest Journey on ppc with SCUMMVM.... Is it possible maybe much later in the future?
MusicallyInspired

Post by MusicallyInspired »

TLJ is a 3D game so I doubt it.
Kortes

Post by Kortes »

I think that only characters are 3d there.....And background is 2d
MusicallyInspired

Yes, but it's still 3D.

By the way, what does TLJ on ScummVM for the ppc have to do with ScummVM for the Wii?
scoriae

Post by scoriae »

you seem to consider ever game 3d Musically. I agree that TLJ is not that easy to classify - similar to blade runner.

And why does it have to do with the Wii? This is a generally "will scummvm support..." thread - not specifically for the wii.
MusicallyInspired

Ah my bad. I misread the title of the thread to say "Wii ScummVM Support...". Instead of "Will."

And I wouldn't classify TLJ as a classic 2D P&C adventure game. There's definitely 3D graphics in it, a lot more definite than Blade Runner. 3D doesn't just mean a moving camera in a 3D polygonal world. Just because the backgrounds aren't doesn't mean the game isn't considered 3D. If I'm understanding the mandate of ScummVM correctly no game with 3D graphics will be implemented in ScummVM, just 2D. It doesn't matter if a game is classifed as "3D" or not. The fact is there are 3D modeled graphics in TLJ.
shredder

Post by shredder »

I don't if it fits in the scope of scummvm, but is there any change to integrate the free in the dark project from yaz0r to scummvm?
ezekiel000

Post by ezekiel000 »

shredder wrote:I don't if it fits in the scope of scummvm, but is there any change to integrate the free in the dark project from yaz0r to scummvm?
Alone in the Dark is again 3D characters on 2D background so it fits in to the scope of Residual not ScummVM.
Longcat

Post by Longcat »

MusicallyInspired wrote:Ah my bad. I misread the title of the thread to say "Wii ScummVM Support...". Instead of "Will."

And I wouldn't classify TLJ as a classic 2D P&C adventure game. There's definitely 3D graphics in it, a lot more definite than Blade Runner. 3D doesn't just mean a moving camera in a 3D polygonal world. Just because the backgrounds aren't doesn't mean the game isn't considered 3D. If I'm understanding the mandate of ScummVM correctly no game with 3D graphics will be implemented in ScummVM, just 2D. It doesn't matter if a game is classifed as "3D" or not. The fact is there are 3D modeled graphics in TLJ.
Well, actually, games like that with 2D backgrounds and 3D models are normally what we would classify as 2.5D. Not fully 2D and not fully 3D.

The structure of ScummVM is designed to work with 2D environments and is fundamentally different from any 2.5D or 3D engine. Therefore, these games will almost certainly never work with ScummVM and Residual will not e merged with ScummVM either.
shredder

Post by shredder »

ezekiel000 wrote:Alone in the Dark is again 3D characters on 2D background so it fits in to the scope of Residual not ScummVM.
I think its technical more like the cruise engine so I thought it would be be fit better in scummvm.
ezekiel000

Post by ezekiel000 »

shredder wrote:
ezekiel000 wrote:Alone in the Dark is again 3D characters on 2D background so it fits in to the scope of Residual not ScummVM.
I think its technical more like the cruise engine so I thought it would be be fit better in scummvm.
The cruise engine uses only 2D graphics no 3D models at all Alone in the Dark uses 3D models for the characters. Which is what matters ScummVM only does/will support 2D point and click adventures.
Truus999

My 2 cemts (or 3 games)

Post by Truus999 »

Hi,

first of all thanks to Lordhoto & Athrxx for their work on Lands of Lore. I've been playing the game, updating my scumm svn almost every day, and enjoying it a lot. I am in the white tower, third level, at the moment and those suckers are tough. Read in a solution that I need a valens cube to make live easy but those are gone. Anybody got a hack for a save file for me :oops:

The real reason for this post are games to request. I've heard that Lands of lore uses a newer version of the engine that was used for eye of the beholder 1 & 2, both also made by westwood and released by SSI. If this is true would you be interested in adapting the Kyra engine for those 2 ganes. If the answer is yes I can supply a floppy version of both games.

The third game to request is The adventures of Maddog Williams. It has been made freeware by the authors and according to their website http://www.gamecrafters.com/gamecrafter ... story.html the game logic is in the script files. If any dev is interested I would love to play the game in ScummVM.

Thanks for all the hours you guys put in ScummVM,
René