Will SCUMMVM support...

All the inane chatter goes in here. If you're curious about whether we will support a game, post HERE not in General Discussion :)

Moderator: ScummVM Team

DrMcCoy
ScummVM Developer

Re: HI....

Post by DrMcCoy »

tiktektak wrote:Now how to find a person willing to develop??? Can I just try to ask a friend to implement or could I myself propably learn how to extract the source code and implement it? I used C and C++ in university a very little bit....
How complicated is it to implement a game into SCUMMVM?
It's pretty complicated, unless you can obtain the source from the current copyright holder, it's not simply "extracting" the source, you'd need to disassemble the executable and reverse-engineer from that... And even if you had the source, it's not just straight-forward copying...
tiktektak wrote:A PC-CD, german version of Goooblins 1 and 2 is also standing on my desk....
Does the German CD version of Gobliiins work with ScummVM?
tiktektak wrote:Another question... Thare is another classic adventure I've got at home. It's name is Darkseed(PC-Cd, eng) and it was inspired by H.R. Gigers artwork(the man who created alien)...
I played Darkseed 2 some years ago and although I didn't really understand what was going on, I found it fascinating as well...
tiktektak wrote:So could it be implemeted?
Theoretically, yes, with someone competent willing to submit quite some time... It's not really likely, though...
sev
ScummVM Lead

Post by sev »

tiktektak wrote:How complicated is it to implement a game into SCUMMVM?
It's extremely difficult, especially when there is no source code. For illustration, Gobliiins engine, the smallest one in ScummVM took about a half year of devotion from Ivan Dubrov. Adding Inherit the Earth support from a well-suited ground, i.e. we had working intro and original source code, took over a year from a team of 3 developers. So you may guess by yourself.
tiktektak wrote:A PC-CD, german version of Goooblins 1 and 2 is also standing on my desk....
If you want to see these supported, feel free to contribute :D

Eugene
eriktorbjorn
ScummVM Developer

Post by eriktorbjorn »

sev wrote:It's extremely difficult, especially when there is no source code. For illustration, Gobliiins engine, the smallest one in ScummVM took about a half year of devotion from Ivan Dubrov. Adding Inherit the Earth support from a well-suited ground, i.e. we had working intro and original source code, took over a year from a team of 3 developers. So you may guess by yourself.
Of course, even in the case where we do have source code to work from it also depends on what shape that source code is in, and how freely we are allowed to use it. I wasn't directly involved with Beneath a Steel Sky but I know it took a lot of time since the original was written in assembly.

On the other hand, the Broken Sword 2 code that was first committed to the ScummVM repository, not long after we received it, ran straight away. It didn't actually draw anything to screen or play any sounds, but that was just a relatively small matter of rewriting a bunch of Windows-specific functions, and they were clearly separated from the rest of the code. Of course, since then there has been quite a bit of work in an attempt to make it endian-safe, alignment-safe, 64-bit safe, etc. (Since I don't have access to that kind of hardware, I can't say for sure how well that has succeeded, but the lack of bug reports is encouraging.)

Some parts of it are still a bit of a mess, but that's being taken care of. Slowly. Any year now. :)
Gobliiins

Post by Gobliiins »

DrMcCoy wrote: Does the German CD version of Gobliiins work with ScummVM?
works fine here.
tiktektak

Hmmm....

Post by tiktektak »

I would gladly contribute the two games but I'm rather puzzled about how...

I know Gobliiins 1 German Cd is working fine because I've played it with SCUMMVM just some time ago....

The posts about how complicated it is to implement your favorite game in SCUMMVM just make me wanna cry because with my lack of understanding of programming languages it will be rather like running against a wall I suppose...

It's a pity.... :(

Thanks anyways for your answers so far.... Feels like a nice community here! :)

Regards
sev
ScummVM Lead

Re: Hmmm....

Post by sev »

tiktektak wrote:I know Gobliiins 1 German Cd is working fine because I've played it with SCUMMVM just some time ago....
Aha, so it's not a German, but international. Makes difference.

Eugene
tiktektak

Hy again...

Post by tiktektak »

Hy again...

How come you know that it's an international version?
On the package and Cd itself is written "Komplett in deutsch" which means
"Complete in german" so I thought it would be the german version...
Am I getting sth wrong there? :)

Do you maybe want me to send you the Cds(Goblins1 and 2) via post?
Would be no problem... I'll take the package and posting costs...

Would just need to know where to send them.

Cheers
sev
ScummVM Lead

Re: Hy again...

Post by sev »

tiktektak wrote:How come you know that it's an international version?
On the package and Cd itself is written "Komplett in deutsch" which means
"Complete in german" so I thought it would be the german version...
Am I getting sth wrong there? :)
Because it works? And I added md5s for international version. But maybe still there are differences.
tiktektak wrote: Do you maybe want me to send you the Cds(Goblins1 and 2) via post?
Would be no problem... I'll take the package and posting costs...

Would just need to know where to send them.
That will help a lot, especially with Gob2 as we started to work on it. Gob1 will be investigated instantly. PM sent.

Eugene
tiktektak

HeyHo!

Post by tiktektak »

I've just sent it away today... The friendly post office person told me it would need about 10-20 days to arrive at your location... Hope it won't be lost as this is truly a classic and rare game... :)

Besides when I cleaned up some cupboards of mine I happened to find a english win3.11 Cd Version of Woodruff and the Schnibble of Azimuth....
I think this would be another great and fun game to add to the SCUMMVM support list.... Isn't this the unofficial Goblins 3 or sth.?

A yes and I've found Lost in Time 1 and 2 too... Is this interesting for you?

Another question... Are the devs of SCUMMVM just interested in old PC Adventures or any good old game... I have a very old and rare game at home for the NES... Shadowgate is it's name... Would this be interesting too?

Other old games I've found...
Little Big Adventure 1 and 2... Very good adventures!!!!
Bad Mojo... Win3.1, Win95... Fantastic idea and great game!!!

Regards Sebastian
eriktorbjorn
ScummVM Developer

Re: HeyHo!

Post by eriktorbjorn »

tiktektak wrote:Another question... Are the devs of SCUMMVM just interested in old PC Adventures or any good old game... I have a very old and rare game at home for the NES... Shadowgate is it's name... Would this be interesting too?
Ah, Shadowgate... I remember playing the Macintosh version of that, back when it was originally released in 1987. I was surprised when I found, many years later, that it had been ported to various hand-held devices along with the other MacVenture games and is apparently still being sold.
tiktektak wrote:Bad Mojo... Win3.1, Win95... Fantastic idea and great game!!!
I never played that one, but I hear it was recently re-relased for Mac and Windows.
dsy

Post by dsy »

john_doe wrote:Chewy - Blue Byte doesn't have permission from Ubi to give the source code
May I ask who you contacted? I tried to get the Chewy sources myself, but unfortunately my e-mails to BlueByte where never answered. :(
I talked to the original developer/designer though (Carsten Wieland). He thought adding Chewy support to ScummVM would be great, he even said that he would get the source code for me, IF I ask BlueByte for permission first.
Although BlueByte has been aquired by UbiSoft, the manager of UbiSoft Germany seems to be leading the remainder of BlueByte aswell. But anyway, as I said, I never got _any_ reply from BB.
john_doe
ScummVM Developer

Post by john_doe »

dsy wrote:
john_doe wrote:Chewy - Blue Byte doesn't have permission from Ubi to give the source code
May I ask who you contacted?
I sent the mail to info@bluebyte.de and got a reply after a day.
dsy

Post by dsy »

That's really strange. I emailed then twice. Sometime in the middle of last year and then again some days ago... :roll:
bob_bucket

Post by bob_bucket »

I second the request for Bud Tucker in Double Trouble!
I just (as in today) found an ISO copy to download and would love to play this game. It's been like my Holy Grail. I played the demo (off a PC Zone demo disc I think) back in the days when games were cute and there was hardly a zombie to be seen. But then the game never seemed to appear and I cried, and I've searched pretty hard to find a copy whats I can buys. But now I have a copy and I have a mac, and it needs DOS, and that's just mental.
I tried running it through Virtual PC (I finally managed to get The Longest Journey going that way) but the game won't run without setting up the sound. The only sound I hear is my mac laughing at such options as Sound Blaster 16 or 32, then getting in a huff with me about it and causing Virtual PC to lock, and I can faintly imagine hearing some old dude say: "He chose, poorly."
Woe is me.
So, yeah, if you can make Bud Tucker happen on scummVM I would love you all long time. It's been AMAZING being able to play old LucasArts games again, and I had a Broken Sword-a-thon, playing 1 and 2 on the mac and then 3 again on the Xbox. Now the new one is coming and I can't play it :(
There's probably a lesson here about gaming on a mac, but I just figure what...

Also, weird question - any chance of getting Dark Forces working?
DrMcCoy
ScummVM Developer

Post by DrMcCoy »

bob_bucket wrote:I just (as in today) found an ISO copy to download and would love to play this game.
And you also just (as in today) violated Forum Rule #0.