Will SCUMMVM support...

All the inane chatter goes in here. If you're curious about whether we will support a game, post HERE not in General Discussion :)

Moderator: ScummVM Team

Visitntx

Will SCUMMVM support...

Post by Visitntx »

Nice job with the two new game engines, really thanks.
I have a question, will SCUMMVM support agi and/or sci engines, from the sierra family?
That would be nice.
Thanks for the big work again.
sev
ScummVM Lead

Post by sev »

AGI: Sarien
SCI: FreeSCI

Eugene
Maveric

Post by Maveric »

What about The Riddle of Master Lu?

The company that made it no longer exist, so perhaps the game it self is to be considered freeware now.
clem

Post by clem »

Such companies usually get bought and their rights get transferred to the new owner - it's rare that the old owner just ceases to exist and takes the copyright with him

actually the only example I know is that of a GDR (East Germany) arcade game which is now available for free from mame.net since the nation collapsed :-)
Maveric

Post by Maveric »

Well, in any case it would be nice to be able to play it in ScummVM
sev
ScummVM Lead

Post by sev »

Maveric wrote:Well, in any case it would be nice to be able to play it in ScummVM
Indeed. Now we need someone either to submit us working module, or legally obtained source code plus pack of developers interested in this game :lol:

Eugene
Kaminari

Post by Kaminari »

I suggest a sticky FAQ specific to the subject "ScummVM support for new games":
If you want a particular adventure game to be supported by ScummVM, three points must be satisfied:

1) Find the legal source code of this game for us. Not source code, no ScummVM module.
2) Find at least one developer interested in implementing the game (yourself maybe?).
3) Do NOT submit your request if the first two requirements have not been met.

Thank you.
sev
ScummVM Lead

Post by sev »

Kaminari wrote:I suggest a sticky FAQ specific to the subject "ScummVM support for new games":
Nah. Experience shows that this kind of question is unavoidable. Hence we created this forum which is named "The Junkyard" and purpose for this forum reads:
All the inane chatter goes in here. If your curious about whether we will support a game, post HERE not in General Discussion :)
So this is ok here.

Eugene
john_doe
ScummVM Developer

Post by john_doe »

I've asked around for the source code to several games. I'd try to implement the game into ScummVM if I get the source to one of these games. I already got replies to some mails.
The games I asked about are:
Alien Incident - apparently they would give me the source and have the code somewhere around but no time for someone to find it
Chewy - Blue Byte doesn't have permission from Ubi to give the source code

And I'm still waiting for replies to:
Riddle of Master Lu and Orion Burger - I mailed Lee Sheldon
Toonstruck - I tried to contact Richard Hare, the designer of the game

I hope one of these two will send me a more gratifying mail :)
sev
ScummVM Lead

Post by sev »

Great, I know there were some interest in Alien Incident, Chewy and Toonstruck. Never saw Riddle of Master Lu and Orion Burger mentioned too seriously here though, but that doesn't mean that there will be no interest.

Ideally the person who will work on sources obtaining should lead that subproject, or at least have one developer with strong interest who will be a subproject manager for that.

Eugene
kelmer

Post by kelmer »

One game that I would love to see supported is Igor: Objective Uikokahonia, the first game by Pendulo Studios, since it's a pain in the ass to get the first edition to work fine.

There was a latter Windows edition, though.

Anyway, I understand this to be hardly feasible, as the game is not very common in other markets besides the spanish one.
frin

Post by frin »

john_doe wrote:Orion Burger
man, that game rocks! :lol:
Kirben

Post by Kirben »

kelmer wrote:One game that I would love to see supported is Igor: Objective Uikokahonia, the first game by Pendulo Studios, since it's a pain in the ass to get the first edition to work fine.

There was a latter Windows edition, though.

Anyway, I understand this to be hardly feasible, as the game is not very common in other markets besides the spanish one.
One of our developers (Gregory Montoir) started on a separate engine for Igor: Objective Uikokahonia but found the data and logic of the game was all hard coded in the executable file. The developers would not give out the source code and it would have been too difficult without it.
Can find some old screenshots of the attempt at http://membres.lycos.fr/cyxdown/scummvm/igor/
sev
ScummVM Lead

Post by sev »

Kirben wrote: One of our developers (Gregory Montoir) started on a separate engine for Igor: Objective Uikokahonia but found the data and logic of the game was all hard coded in the executable file
Yes, unfortunately Gregory canned the project. To process we need a capable developer who will write a plugin for IDA to automate disassembly. It has enormous amount of repeated code snippets generated by Turbo Pascal. I.e. there is no compiler optimizations (or near that), and whole project looks like a monkey's work without automation.

Eugene
kelmer

Post by kelmer »

Kirben wrote: The developers would not give out the source code and it would have been too difficult without it.
So you asked them and they refused to hand you the code? I'm shocked, I've contacted them a few times and they're nice people, I though they would collaborate with something like this...

Maybe we should try again?