Will SCUMMVM support...

All the inane chatter goes in here. If you're curious about whether we will support a game, post HERE not in General Discussion :)

Moderator: ScummVM Team

cyx

Post by cyx »

kelmer wrote:
So you asked them and they refused to hand you the code? I'm shocked, I've contacted them a few times and they're nice people, I though they would collaborate with something like this...

Maybe we should try again?
Well, they don't really refused. To quote Rafael Latiegui, "At the moment is not possible for us to deliver the source code of Igor.". This is from August 2004.

And as it has been mentionned, work without the source code and only from disassembly isn't really possible. All the datafiles (room bitmaps, room mask, walkboxes, sprites etc.) are included in the executable. The game logic and the cutscenes are also completely hard-coded. And to finish with, the executable uses the borland overlay stuff, which just makes the disassembly harder to follow.
kelmer

Post by kelmer »

cyx wrote:Well, they don't really refused. To quote Rafael Latiegui, "At the moment is not possible for us to deliver the source code of Igor.". This is from August 2004.
That should be because the rights of the game would belong to Dinamic Multimedia, who reedited the game in 2000 but went bankrupt in September 2001.

If they had not got them by 2004, I seriously doubt they have now...
sev
ScummVM Lead

Post by sev »

kelmer wrote: If they had not got them by 2004, I seriously doubt they have now...
Well, everything could change, especially when a year have passed. It was exactly this way with ITE sources. When Daniel Balsom requested it, that wasn't appropriate time, as Wyrmkeep just aquired the rights. But in a year when I asked about that, complete source was handed to us.

There is a Russian proverb: "Nobody is beaten for asking questions".

Eugene
kelmer

Post by kelmer »

We (my website) are calling them next week to ask them about their next projects, do you want me to ask them about the code?
joachimeberhard
ScummVM Team Member

Post by joachimeberhard »

sev wrote: There is a Russian proverb: "Nobody is beaten for asking questions".
Eugene

LOOOOL, that reminds me so much of Pavel Chekov from Star Trek. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Last edited by joachimeberhard on Sat Nov 05, 2005 2:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sev
ScummVM Lead

Post by sev »

kelmer wrote:We (my website) are calling them next week to ask them about their next projects, do you want me to ask them about the code?
Why not?

Eugene
john_doe
ScummVM Developer

Post by john_doe »

I had a closer look at Alien Incident and it looks bad without source code. It's the same problem as with Igor, i.e. all logic seems to be hardcoded. And it also was written in Borland Pascal and uses an overlay.

And I also contacted Nick Porcino, the technical director of Sanctuary Woods, about the source code to Orion Burger and Master Lu. Several years ago I made some tools to view/convert graphics from Orion Burger and Master Lu and he mailed me some code parts to stuff I hadn't figured out yet then. So maybe he still has it around.
kelmer

Post by kelmer »

Okay, I'll keep you informed.

I can also try to ask Emilio de Paz from Alcachofa Soft for the code of Drascula, since we are very good friends, one of our staff members usually works with them in their games. Will there be any interest in implementing this game?
Herrscher

Post by Herrscher »

Will ScummVM support SimCity 2000 or Quake 1 in the near future...?!?! :lol: *SCNR*

Hey, I was wondering about "The Riddle Of Master Lu". I recently read that it must be at least 10 years old, but I remember seeing it for Windows some years ago in a game shop.
So are these two different or is it a re-release with Windows support or am I just blind? :?:

Next: As a german, I remember playing a DOS-Adventure published for free by some federal office here (by the government) to support the youth for understanding, why nazis are bad (it was some kind of "enlightenment" thing and anti-fachists). [Yeah I know, I can't express myself very well in english, but I hope you get the thing. ;)] It was quite fun IIRC.
Maybe someone should ask them for source, as the game itself was freeware anywere.

Also, at this time there were quite many "advertising" adventures, which were given for free. I remember a giant thing from LBS (a building and loan association), and one from BiFi (a cold-sausage snack usually buyable in service stations and the like ;).

Of course they were not that long like LA's games, but quite fun also.

Maybe some germans remember the names so we could research farther...

What also would be cool, as it is really a mess under Win2K / XP, is "Prisoner Of Ice".
I don't recall ATM from which company that was, but I will google some... 8)
sev
ScummVM Lead

Post by sev »

Herrscher wrote:As a german, I remember playing a DOS-Adventure published for free by some federal office here
Dunkle Schatten 1-3. All were freewared. Now we're trying to obtain source code for all three and will see how it will turn out.
Herrscher wrote: "Prisoner Of Ice".
I don't recall ATM from which company that was, but I will google some... 8)
A horror game... it's not popular genre in our team. Even less luck...

Eugene
eriktorbjorn
ScummVM Developer

Post by eriktorbjorn »

sev wrote:A horror game... it's not popular genre in our team. Even less luck...
It's not? What about Day of the Tentacle, then? :wink:

Seriously, though, I've played Prisoner of Ice. It didn't make any deeper impression on me -- I've already forgotten most of it -- but I still remember it as being a pretty decent game.

From what I understand, it's a sequel to Shadow of the Comet, which I'm told is a better game, but I haven't gotten around to playing that one yet.
clem

Post by clem »

I think prisoner of ice was by Infogrames?

Nice gfx as far as I remember, never played it though.
trin

Post by trin »

I played anf finished "Prisoners of Ice" several times. It's quite a nice game, except for the ending.
The background are bitmaps but the characters/actors are rendered.

And It's way better than "Shadow of the Comet".
kelmer

Post by kelmer »

trin wrote:And It's way better than "Shadow of the Comet".
That's highly arguable.
clem

Post by clem »

german freeware adventures? don't forget the telekommando!