Monkey 1 Ultimate Talkie Edition (released)

All the inane chatter goes in here. If you're curious about whether we will support a game, post HERE not in General Discussion :)

Moderator: ScummVM Team

homerjs

Re: Monkey 1 Ultimate Talkie Edition (released)

Post by homerjs »

Thanks for your replies! now I know all is OK :)
MusicallyInspired

Post by MusicallyInspired »

LogicDeLuxe wrote: Sat Sep 12, 2020 9:46 pm
MusicallyInspired wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 2:23 am I'm not sure the reason but Track10 is the introduction conversation with the lookout music.
I don't know the reason either, but it's the way they are in the SE.
MusicallyInspired wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 2:23 am I keep having problems where I get the LeChuck theme playing during the conversation with the lookout when I play in ScummVM. It's very irritating.
Sounds like you mixed up the tracks somehow.
Iirc, my script checks for the presence of track10 and the length of track17 to distinguish the soundtracks. If you just keep it the way the Ultimate Talkie Edition Builder creates the folders and make sure there is no track10 and no track20 in the game's folder nor in the extra path when pointing to the DOS CD soundtrack, it should play as intended.
Lol that was the problem. I didn't realize the scripting was that smart. Nice! I think what must have happened was that I copied over music files I had pre-made from the SE soundtrack but for the regular non-talkie CD version (which has a LeChuck theme in track 10).
oguzhandag

Post by oguzhandag »

Hi, I get the "Failed to query the CD TOC: 21" message in ScummVM status window when running the game with the original soundtrack. Game seems to be running fine, any idea what that message means? I got no errors while extracting files.
LogicDeLuxe

Post by LogicDeLuxe »

oguzhandag wrote: Sat Oct 03, 2020 8:37 pm Hi, I get the "Failed to query the CD TOC: 21" message in ScummVM status window when running the game with the original soundtrack. Game seems to be running fine, any idea what that message means? I got no errors while extracting files.
That's expected behavior. Some tracks are only present in the SE soundtrack. The game tries to play that first, but it will notice when it's not there and thus switch to play the CD version soundtrack instead. If that fails too, it will switch to MIDI mode.
oguzhandag

Post by oguzhandag »

LogicDeLuxe wrote: Sun Oct 04, 2020 12:17 am
oguzhandag wrote: Sat Oct 03, 2020 8:37 pm Hi, I get the "Failed to query the CD TOC: 21" message in ScummVM status window when running the game with the original soundtrack. Game seems to be running fine, any idea what that message means? I got no errors while extracting files.
That's expected behavior. Some tracks are only present in the SE soundtrack. The game tries to play that first, but it will notice when it's not there and thus switch to play the CD version soundtrack instead. If that fails too, it will switch to MIDI mode.
Thank you!
xxyzz

Post by xxyzz »

Hi @LogicDeLuxe. Now xWMAEncode.exe can be replaced by vgmstream(https://github.com/losnoco/vgmstream). Is it possible to port the talkie builder to Linux? Can you share the source code of the builder? Thanks.
elvisish

Post by elvisish »

miracle.flame wrote: Sat Dec 21, 2019 7:50 pm
elvisish wrote: Thu Dec 12, 2019 3:11 pm Another bump to ask if it's possible to use the original sound fx with Ultimate Talkie?
Did not test this myself but try to edit file install.bat and remove this whole part before running the script:

echo.
echo implementing high quality sounds
call sbl 22050
copy Resource.000 ..\MI1_Ultimate_Talkie_Edition\monkey.000 /y
copy Resource.001 ..\MI1_Ultimate_Talkie_Edition\monkey.001 /y
del >nul Resource.000
del >nul Resource.001
del >nul monkey.000
del >nul monkey.001
del >nul monkey1.000
del >nul monkey1.001
Is there any way to play ultimate talkie with the original sound effects, rather than the new sound effects taken from the remaster? In particular, the Indy theme plays when you open the antiroot crate, whereas the original played a brass fanfare sample. Also, things like the classic 90's-era door opening sound is changed, the chickens are replaced with hi-res ghost chickens, rather than just lo-fi chicken clucks, there's some other sounds that have been changed.
rtentser

Post by rtentser »

Is there any way to get sound effects from SE for the fight in Governor's Mansion?
elvisish

Post by elvisish »

elvisish wrote: Sat Dec 31, 2016 8:38 pm Is it possible to put the original sound fx from the original cd version of MI1 in the ultimate talkie? I always love the sounds fx as they originally sounded, and I'm not keen on the new sound fx!
Still not sure if it's possible to use original sound fx from the original VGA verison of TSOMI with Ultimate Talkie, but I'd love to if anyone knows a way?
Praetorian
ScummVM Developer

Post by Praetorian »

elvisish wrote: Mon Dec 13, 2021 11:55 pm
elvisish wrote: Sat Dec 31, 2016 8:38 pm Is it possible to put the original sound fx from the original cd version of MI1 in the ultimate talkie? I always love the sounds fx as they originally sounded, and I'm not keen on the new sound fx!
Still not sure if it's possible to use original sound fx from the original VGA verison of TSOMI with Ultimate Talkie, but I'd love to if anyone knows a way?
It seems possible, but it's not entirely trivial to do it.
I've only tested with the open/close door sounds (at the SCUMM Bar door), but probably one could do this for all sound effects.

Basically, the process involved editing the install.bat, after the patching of the resource files with the SE Talkie scripts, to skip the replacing of sounds with high quality ones. However, just this edit alone resulted in no sound effects in the game, so more work had to be done.

So then, I got the resource files from the original classic (prior-to-patch) resource files (as they are in the Monkey.pak from the SE), and extracted them with the "scummpacker" tool eg. to folder "A". Using the sbl.bat script as a guide, I found the sound files (.sbl) for the open/close door sounds (in 000_LECF\010_LFLF_logo\043_SOUN_002\000_SOU\ and 000_LECF\010_LFLF_logo\044_SOUN_003\000_SOU\).

I also extracted the patched resource files (eg. to folder "B"), and "replaced" the open/close door sounds; the ones under folder "B" with the ones from the original classic resource files (folder "A"). In this process, I renamed the source files to use the names found under folder "B" for the rooms. Eg. "001_SBL.dmp" from under folder "A", had to be renamed to "000_SBL.dmp" under folder "B" in both cases (open and close sounds).

Finally I repacked the folder "B" to resource files (again with scummpacker) and renamed the resulting resources.000 and resources.001 files to monkey.000 and monkey.001 respectively.

ScummVM didn't auto-detect the resulting version, but the fallback detection offered the "talkie-se" option, which I chose.

The game now plays the "original" sound effects from the CD version for open/close door, and also the music and speech from SE.

One could in theory write a .bat file, using SBL.bat as a guide, so that it would follow the above process for every sound file that the SBL.bat script replaces, "restoring" the original by copying it from the original classic resource files (and renaming it appropriately).

LogicDeLuxe would know more details of whether this process would work or there would be side-effects.

I could only work with the patched and prior-to-patch files so my way is a quite a roundabout way of doing things.
elvisish

Post by elvisish »

Praetorian wrote: Thu Dec 16, 2021 9:13 pm
elvisish wrote: Mon Dec 13, 2021 11:55 pm
It seems possible, but it's not entirely trivial to do it.
I've only tested with the open/close door sounds (at the SCUMM Bar door), but probably one could do this for all sound effects.

Basically, the process involved editing the install.bat, after the patching of the resource files with the SE Talkie scripts, to skip the replacing of sounds with high quality ones. However, just this edit alone resulted in no sound effects in the game, so more work had to be done.

So then, I got the resource files from the original classic (prior-to-patch) resource files (as they are in the Monkey.pak from the SE), and extracted them with the "scummpacker" tool eg. to folder "A". Using the sbl.bat script as a guide, I found the sound files (.sbl) for the open/close door sounds (in 000_LECF\010_LFLF_logo\043_SOUN_002\000_SOU\ and 000_LECF\010_LFLF_logo\044_SOUN_003\000_SOU\).

I also extracted the patched resource files (eg. to folder "B"), and "replaced" the open/close door sounds; the ones under folder "B" with the ones from the original classic resource files (folder "A"). In this process, I renamed the source files to use the names found under folder "B" for the rooms. Eg. "001_SBL.dmp" from under folder "A", had to be renamed to "000_SBL.dmp" under folder "B" in both cases (open and close sounds).

Finally I repacked the folder "B" to resource files (again with scummpacker) and renamed the resulting resources.000 and resources.001 files to monkey.000 and monkey.001 respectively.

ScummVM didn't auto-detect the resulting version, but the fallback detection offered the "talkie-se" option, which I chose.

The game now plays the "original" sound effects from the CD version for open/close door, and also the music and speech from SE.

One could in theory write a .bat file, using SBL.bat as a guide, so that it would follow the above process for every sound file that the SBL.bat script replaces, "restoring" the original by copying it from the original classic resource files (and renaming it appropriately).

LogicDeLuxe would know more details of whether this process would work or there would be side-effects.

I could only work with the patched and prior-to-patch files so my way is a quite a roundabout way of doing things.
Thanks for the info, glad to know it can be done! I've been trying to do this for years as I'm still nostalgic for the original VGA cd sound effects but love the new talkie speech. If @LogicDeLuxe could chime in, it would be great to have this as a possible option for the installation.
Al.DeHyde

Post by Al.DeHyde »

Someone asked this previously but I can't find the answer. From the readme:
- CTRL-q toggles subtitle mode between "keep original text" and "match voice acting".
- Preferences are stored in monkey.cfg, which is loaded automatically whenever a new game is started.
CTRL q exits ScummVM for me and I can't find a monkey.cfg anywhere. How do I switch to "keep original text" when running the game with ScummVM?

Unrelated, the terminal shows "WARNING: No such track 22!" is that a disc 22 joke or an actual warning? :lol:
Praetorian
ScummVM Developer

Post by Praetorian »

Al.DeHyde wrote: Tue Jul 05, 2022 1:43 pm Someone asked this previously but I can't find the answer. From the readme:
- CTRL-q toggles subtitle mode between "keep original text" and "match voice acting".
- Preferences are stored in monkey.cfg, which is loaded automatically whenever a new game is started.
CTRL q exits ScummVM for me and I can't find a monkey.cfg anywhere. How do I switch to "keep original text" when running the game with ScummVM?

Unrelated, the terminal shows "WARNING: No such track 22!" is that a disc 22 joke or an actual warning? :lol:
I am not sure about the monkey.cfg file -- it doesn't look like one is created on my system either.

However, Ctrl+Q does seem to work for me. I am testing with ScummVM 2.7.0git (daily development build) on Windows 10, and Ctrl+q does not exit ScummVM. It produces a short message in-game about which mode is enabled.
criezy
ScummVM Developer

Post by criezy »

Regarding CTRL-q, the behaviour is platforms specific. This can be changed in the keymapper options, but by default the Quit action is mapped to CTRL-z on Windows, CMD-q on macOS, and CTRL-q on other Unixes and Linux. I am guessing whoever decided to use CTRL-q to toggle the subtitle mode was working on Windows or macOS. Maybe that should be changed.

In the meantime, you can change the mapping for the Quit action in the Options and that should allow you to use Ctrl-q for the subtitles mode.
Al.DeHyde

Post by Al.DeHyde »

Thanks folks ^
I'm on Linux so I've changed the keymap for "exit" and now CTRL+q is working to toggle the subtitle mode :)