Feeble Files

All the inane chatter goes in here. If you're curious about whether we will support a game, post HERE not in General Discussion :)

Moderator: ScummVM Team

Mr. E

Feeble Files

Post by Mr. E »

Hi,

On your compatability chart, it says that 'The Feeble Files' is 95%. I have the Windows version of the game and I ran a search of your forums as well as on Google. I came up with nothing on your forums, but according to Wikipedia, it says that...
All versions of the game are fully compatible with ScummVM since version 0.9.1. In order to play the Windows version, however, the Smacker cutscenes must be reencoded using RAD Game Tools and the ScummVM Tools package.
I am not a programmer, but I am reasonably computer-savvy and that doesn't sound all that involved or terribly difficult. Are there any instructions posted here on the site telling exactly how to do that?

Or is this something a non-programmer shouldn't even attempt? :P

Thanks a lot! :)

P.S. I can't simply play the game on my computer as I have a Mac.
criezy
ScummVM Developer

Post by criezy »

Those instructions are a bit dated. Actually now ScummVM supports directly the smacker files so you do not need to reencode them.

Just copy all the files listed there from your CDs to a folder on your hard drive and rename the files as explained. Then points ScummVM to it.

Our wiki can be a good source of information. Besides the list of needed files to which I already pointed, you can have a look at the User Manual. You can also read the README file that is distributed with ScummVM.

If you really want to reencode the smacker cutscenes (but again you don't need to), there is a long thread somewhere in the forum that explains how to do it. You can probably find it using the search feature.
Mr. E

Post by Mr. E »

Thanks a lot criezy! That's really easy.

I'll take a look at your wiki. I basically searched the forums cause it was the only search box I found on the site...hehe.

Thnks again...aloha! :D
Mr. E

Post by Mr. E »

Hey criezy...

It was even easier than you said. I checked out all the links you provided (thanks for that BTW) and in the Scumm user manual it recommended "Wine" to unpack the Windows files on my Mac.

So I DLed Wine and ran the Freeble installer in it and guess what...I didn't even have to rename the files. Wine had already done that quite properly. I just put the created folder into my Scumm VM games folder, started up Scumm, (successfully) added the game and...Voila! It runs and works great! (Wine actually created a ScummVM folder within the Freeble Files folder as well. I don't know what the files do, but obviously they provide some kind of support for Scumm)

One funny thing though...when Wine installed the game...it actually ran directly on my Mac. But being a Mac guy...I couldn't figure out how to start it again after I quit...hehehe! I couldn't figure out which file to click on to start it. I looked for a "Freeble.exe" file, which is what I expected from a Windows program, but there isn't one.

But thankfully, that doesn't matter since it runs on Scumm now. :D
raina

Post by raina »

This is a shot in the dark but if you got your copy of Feeble Files from GOG.com, THEY are the ones who put the ScummVM dir inside your FF installation. That's because ScummVM is what they use to offer the advertised XP/Vista compatibility in this and a couple of more cases. Any other vendor selling a re-release of FF for modern systems would be wise to do the same.

And the reason for a missing feeble.exe (probably) is closely related to this: ScummVM replaces the original game executable. The installer just ran the bundled Windows version of ScummVM (scummvm.exe). You're right in skipping the middle man, Wine, and running the game data in a Mac native version of ScummVM.