Simon the Sorcerer III (early 2D development)

All the inane chatter goes in here. If you're curious about whether we will support a game, post HERE not in General Discussion :)

Moderator: ScummVM Team

samwise

Simon the Sorcerer III (early 2D development)

Post by samwise »

After reading the Simon the Sorcerer 3D in 2D topic, I was set to thinking ...

I recently read a retrospective on Simon the Sorcerer in a bookazine compilation of GamesTM retro articles which includes snippets from an interview with Simon Woodroffe, who talks about how following the release of the first Simon sequel they had shutdown the company and re-opened as Headfirst Productions before starting development of the second sequel - he describes how by the time they moved to 3D they "had already built most of it once [in 2D]". Apparently they needed "about a hundred grand to finish the 2D Simon 3, but no one would give to us.".

Anyway, I believe the ScummVM team has been in conversation with the original AdventureSoft guys over the years and, well, I just wondered whether anyone had asked about those early, presumably AGOS-based, Simon 3 resources. I daresay there's probably legal issues that would scupper any chance of it being distributed ... but has anyone actually asked?

It would be cool if most of the 2D resources that were built for the third game were just sitting around somewhere, waiting to be made into a mini-episode for use with ScummVM ...

Just a thought ...

Sam.
Kirben

Post by Kirben »

I emailed Adventure Soft about the 2D version of Simon the Sorcerer 3 in the past, and this was their response:
All the graphics where being created on Silicon Graphics machine using, what was then Alias Power Animator. We don't have the source for the graphics any more so I'm afraid it's a complete non starter.
samwise

Post by samwise »

Ahh, that's a shame. If there had been enough in place to pull it into a complete playable project, they might even have been able to sell it via digital distribution and recouped some of their initial outlay.
don't have the source for the graphics any more
Sounds a bit odd, though. If I spent a fortune of time and money doing something, I wouldn't throw it away. I wonder if they mean that they're locked up in a now hard-to-access format.

Still, I figured someone would have asked the question. Thanks for posting.

Sam.
Morden

Post by Morden »

samwise wrote:If I spent a fortune of time and money doing something, I wouldn't throw it away.
You'd be surprised to hear what gets thrown away, no matter how valuable it is. Read this comment for example.