Free Doctor Who episodic adventure game announced by the BBC

All the inane chatter goes in here. If you're curious about whether we will support a game, post HERE not in General Discussion :)

Moderator: ScummVM Team

Graxer

Post by Graxer »

Red_Breast wrote:I tried it with Wine after googling 'Dr. Who game Wine' and making sure Wine was emulating a virtual desktop like suggested on the Ubuntu forums but I have the problem of a black screen but OK sound. It seemed like a 50/50 mixture on the forum of either working OK with the other half in the same position as me.
That was yesterday. I haven't checked it today for further developments.
If you haven't done so you could install winetricks and through it ("sh winetricks" in the terminal once installed) install "d3dx9". That will give you the current 3D directX drivers. Also, for me, no matter what the forum said it didn't make a difference whether I emulated a desktop or not.

Also, do you have your current graphics card driver installed? If you go to "System" "Administration" "Hardware Drivers" in Ubuntu (may be different in other Linux flavours) it should show you a list of graphics drivers (and possibly other drivers) with "Recommended" next to the latest. I have an nVidia graphics card, so it may be different for those who don't.
Red_Breast

Post by Red_Breast »

I already have winetricks and dx9.
As for the card. It's an AGP Radeon 9600pro. I remember checking this last year and I can use the open source ati radeon driver but not the closed source fglrx driver. I have a pdf from Ubuntu somewhere which lists all the cards that fglrx supports.
Hardware Drivers under System - Administration is totally empty for me when I run it as well.
It's a shame as the card supports pixel shader 2.
Graxer

Post by Graxer »

Red_Breast wrote:I already have winetricks and dx9.
Just to check, it is "d3dx9" and not "diectx9" or "directx9-beta" you installed in winetricks wasn't it?
Red_Breast

Post by Red_Breast »

Graxer wrote:
Red_Breast wrote:I already have winetricks and dx9.
Just to check, it is "d3dx9" and not "diectx9" or "directx9-beta" you installed in winetricks wasn't it?
Answer to question. Yes.
From reading further around the web there are a number of people with the same issue.
One day I'll fire up my Win XP PC to play it.
grim107

Post by grim107 »

I believe that if we can find a proxy located in the UK, those of us in the US might be able to download the game. Can anyone help me out?
dreammaster
ScummVM Developer

Post by dreammaster »

grim107 wrote:I believe that if we can find a proxy located in the UK, those of us in the US might be able to download the game. Can anyone help me out?
I think this is coming uncomfortably close to violating rule #0 (warez). The people of the UK are getting a free download of the game only because they effectively already paid for it with their taxes. Trying to use a proxy to pretend to be a UK citizen is therefore essentially trying to steal something you haven't paid for. I know it's not available to the rest of us in the world, but it's been said it will be eventually as a paid download. So everyone should just be patient and wait for that.
grim107

Post by grim107 »

So would it be okay if I were to fly to the UK, get an internet connection, download the game, and then fly back to the US? I don't believe that there is anything illegal about this. It's just using a creative mind to find loopholes.
bobdevis

Post by bobdevis »

Just a friendly warning; Arguing about rule#0 with the devs is not recommended.

And no, you are not 'wrong'. Its just that IP and DRM can be discussed endlessly.
grim107

Post by grim107 »

Whoa, hadn't realized I was talking with a dev :oops: . I wouldn't have even continued the conversation had I know that.

I have a great deal of respect for all the team at ScummVm.
Red_Breast

Post by Red_Breast »

An easy way to find out who works on ScummVM is Planet ScummVM.
Check the list down the right hand side.

http://planet.scummvm.org/
fingolfin
Retired

Post by fingolfin »

You can recognize devs and moderators on this forum by looking at the "author column" next to each posting, it'll state something like "ScummVM Developer".

And you don't need to "shut up" just because a developer talks to you!
However, when it comes to anything related to warez, or copyright infringement, we are pretty serious on this forum. Not because we are big fans of DRM etc., but we *do* respect copyright, and that creative energy the game's authors put into them; and also because we are bound by law in many countries and rather wish to save ourselves and our fans trouble -- esp. trouble that is caused by a discussion that helps nobody :).

For the record, I also think that the download limitations for this BBC game is somewhat silly (your "visit the UK, download it, then return home" example underlines that), but it doesn't help us to discuss it here endlessly -- laws don't go away just because we discuss them here. Discuss them with your representatives in your parliament, with the companies imposing the restrictions etc., or organize a petition. But: This forum is not the place for it (though you are welcome to point people here to online petitions strongly related to matters this forum *is* about).

Please understand that this is not meant to annoy you, but rather meant to save us a lot of annoyance :-) Thank you!
MeddlingMonk

Post by MeddlingMonk »

Anyway, the Doctor Who games will be available for sale worldwide in time. No idea when, but my guess is after all the games are released in the UK.