CorsixTH - An open source clone of Theme Hospital hits beta

All the inane chatter goes in here. If you're curious about whether we will support a game, post HERE not in General Discussion :)

Moderator: ScummVM Team

rtr86

CorsixTH - An open source clone of Theme Hospital hits beta

Post by rtr86 »

Second beta release of CorsixTH

After three months of development since the previous release, we are proud to present CorsixTH beta 2. The aim of this release is to give a report of our progress and attract more players and (hopefully) contributors to the project. Since beta 1, a great number of new features and improvements were implemented (see changelog below). Generally, playability has been vastly improved by implementing more elements of the original game that were still missing in the previous release. Furthermore, we introduced a translation system and a new main menu, and are thus now looking for help in the following areas:

* Coding
* Artwork (main menu background and UI)
* Translations (new languages and completion of existing languages)

If you're willing to contribute in one of these areas, we gladly invite you to do so. Otherwise, just enjoy this release, and spread the word to your friends.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X8-DJccL ... r_embedded

An original copy of Theme Hospital is required for this, as it uses some of the game files (artwork & sounds if I understand it correctly).

http://code.google.com/p/corsix-th/wiki/AboutBeta2
Graxer

Post by Graxer »

This looks amazing! I will have to dig out my old copy!

Has anyone made a similar clone for of original Theme Park?
clone2727
Retired

Post by clone2727 »

Graxer wrote:Has anyone made a similar clone for of original Theme Park?
No. Would be interesting though. I had the PlayStation version and loved it.
Graxer

Post by Graxer »

clone2727 wrote:
Graxer wrote:Has anyone made a similar clone for of original Theme Park?
No. Would be interesting though. I had the PlayStation version and loved it.
That's a shame. :( I find that, apart from point and click adventures, the games I most want to be able to play on other platforms are simulation games. (I'm pretty sure that this will be ported to all sorts of platforms once it is out of beta, much like OpenTTD)

Another game I would like to have an open source clone of is Roller Coaster Tycoon. (The original, and possibly the second)
bobdevis

Post by bobdevis »

Oh yeah. I remember this game. Addictive as hell ;)
Always glad to see people doing old games resurrecting projects.
LordHoto
ScummVM Developer

Post by LordHoto »

Graxer wrote:Another game I would like to have an open source clone of is Roller Coaster Tycoon. (The original, and possibly the second)
According to Chris Sawyer (the developer of RCT) the game was written to 99% in IA-32 assembly. (See here http://www.chrissawyergames.com/faq3.htm). That might hint that the assembly code is easier to read and understand (which might make it easier to reimplement it) or maybe it's even more strange than the usual compiler assembly ;-P.
ScottT
ScummVM Developer

Post by ScottT »

Nice - I'll need to keep an eye on this, since I quite enjoyed Theme Hospital.