Games for a P2

All the inane chatter goes in here. If you're curious about whether we will support a game, post HERE not in General Discussion :)

Moderator: ScummVM Team

lazylazyjoe

Games for a P2

Post by lazylazyjoe »

Completely off subject, but game related so junkyard forum applies I think. I just found an old P2 w/ an ATi rage 128 card. I threw my old copy of win98 on it, and I'm looking for some game suggestions from that period.
I realize this could include almost every dos & early directx (my card is directx 6) game ever made so here's a few conditions.
Perhaps a game that doesn't play well in dosbox. It would need to be available cheap, < $20 ,or perhaps have a demo or freeware version. I'd like to make use of the ATI card too. It doesn't have to be just an adventure game either.
Just looking for some good games I might not have heard of before.
I've put my copies of MI4, Grim on so far. Plus some old shareware like Rise Triad, Duke 3d, descent. I miss d/l'ing those from BBS'S.
bobdevis

Post by bobdevis »

- First of all, forum rule #0: Do not talk about warez in any way. You will be kicked here pretty soon if you do.

- Secondly, the group of games that are hard/impossible to get running in any way on any modern machine at this point are the games that use a DirectX version older then 7.
They are to new for DOSBox (although the DOSBox crew is steadily working on Win9x support) and to old for VMWare or VirtualBox(those will support your DirectX 9,8 or 7 game at best).

Grim Fanago, and Sanitarium are the ones that popped into my head from memory.
Collector

Post by Collector »

About the only reason to setup a dinosaur for old games, anymore, is for the old 9x Windows only games that refuse to run on a modern PC. Even the old Win3x games can easily be played in DOSBox with 3x installed in it.
bobdevis wrote:the DOSBox crew is steadily working on Win9x support
9x support is not a goal of DOSBox and will not be supported anytime in the foreseeable future. 95 does work via a disk image, but is not officially supported. This more of a testament of the broad compatibility of DOSBox than a purposeful intent of the DOSBox devs.
lazylazyjoe

Post by lazylazyjoe »

I've never played sanitarium, looks cool though. I know that's on GOG so it's under $10. I think I'm gonna get Longest Journey from them as I never played that game thru. I played a couple hours into it years ago(friend's house) and always wanted to have it. I bought the sequel and loved it.

Since I have a directx6 card and win98, I figured all the win9x games should play fine. Were there any games from that period worth getting? I threw away my win 3.11 and win95 floppys years ago so I haven't been able to load win 3.1 or win95 thru dosbox anyway.

I made a specific point of saying a game should be available (like on GOG) or have a demo specifically to avoid violating rule 0. Lots of games from that era had shareware versions too. Usually, those were enough to satisfy my interest in a game.
Mud

Post by Mud »

bobdevis wrote:Do not talk about warez in any way. You will be kicked here pretty soon if you do.
When did he mention warez? :?