Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis Possible IQ Glitch

All the inane chatter goes in here. If you're curious about whether we will support a game, post HERE not in General Discussion :)

Moderator: ScummVM Team

JagYui

Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis Possible IQ Glitch

Post by JagYui »

So, I've found in three different places that on the Wits path, when escaping the NAZI U-Boat, you should get 9 IQ once you've launched yourself from the torpedo tube.

However, when I do this, I never get any IQ for it. I assume I'm doing it the only way possible (prime tube, attach clothesline to lever, get inside and close then pull on the clothesline). I hear the strain of music that usually denotes IQ gained, but my IQ remains unchanged (both current and total).

I've tried on both SCUMMVM and DOSBox with both a copy I had from years ago and the one I downloaded on Steam, but it's the same for every combination I try, and there's not a single other action I'm missing according to these guides. These guides are here and the PDF file that Kurufinwe posted here a while ago that no longer seems to exist. Though both guides seem to have the exact same list of actions.

So my question is whether there's something wrong with me or if there's an action or actions that add up to 9 points I'm missing. I'm rather annoyed at being stuck at 991 IQ.
Kurufinwe

Post by Kurufinwe »

The list I made* was written based on the floppy version. Possibly the CD version behaves differently. (That'd be an ugly bug if 9 points were missing from that version.)

I wrote that list ages ago, so my memories might be fuzzy (and I don't have the game on hand to check), but I remember that the file where the game stores the info regarding the IQ points that you have (called iq-points, maybe?) is pretty straightforward to understand. It's a just a list of hex values corresponding to the points you've already got for each action; the order of the actions in that file corresponds to the first column in my points list (that proved tremendously useful in figuring out where I was missing points).

Actually, you could even just open that file with a text editor (notepad or whatever) and read it like that. You then got a long string of letters, and just had to figure out which meant what. I seem to remember that 0 was d (i.e. 0x64 in hex, which would make sense since it's 100 in decimal notation) and everything followed from there ; so 1 point = 0x65 = e, 9 points = 0x6D = m, etc.). So if for instance your iq-points begins with fjdj... (or, in hex 66 6A 64 6A ...), it means that you got 2 points for doing the intro, 6 for beating Biff, and 6 for entering through the fire exit but missed those for talking Biff into letting you enter. That should help you figure out what points you're missing.

I also seem to remember that that file was the same with ScummVM and the original interpreter, except that the original had some sort of checksum at the end. But ScummVM didn't use that checksum. Which means that, if you're playing with ScummVM, you could actually modify the file and give yourself the points you're missing!

(IMPORTANT NOTE: ScummVM save files are gzip'd. So you'll need to rename the file to, say, iq-points.gz and uncompress it before you can read it. That won't be necessary for the file created by the original interpreter.)

Once again, that was long ago, so my memory might be spotty. And the CD version might work differently.

(Also, if you already have 991 points, does that mean that you actually beat Arnold?!)

* You can find it at mixnmojo. They archived it when they did their FOA review/feature (without asking me first, by the way -- but I don't really mind).
JagYui

Post by JagYui »

All right, so there's full confirmation that the missing points are supposed to be there, and I'm just not mistaken that"Fire Torpedo" means explicitly when you fire Indy out of the sub. I was kind of worried there was a torpedo somewhere in another tube I could fire.

So, the IQ should update as soon as you pull the clothesline and get into the main area of Crete... There's definitely a problem here. I have one more option to try, and that's doing the entire thing on a different computer. Maybe there's some idiosyncrasy in Vista or my laptop setup that's making it do something weird. The only other possibility is a glitch in the CD/Steam version or they moved 9 points for no reason. The latter would make me wonder why no one had noticed it before.

And yes, I did beat Arnold and Fritz, but I cheated. In SCUMMVM, I opened the debug console (CTRL+D) and input "scumm_vars[322] 1000" whenever my health got low. In DOSBox, I froze the memory location for Indy's health at 300.
JagYui

Post by JagYui »

Well, a different computer didn't work. So I guess there's an issue somewhere. Guess I'll just choose one of the items still listed as d in the iq-points file and change it to m.

By the way, do you find it weird there's 169 items in the iq-points file and only 154 actions worth IQ?

EDIT: Oh, I see what you mean about the checksum. That must be what the extra entries are at the end. Well, that's depressing. I tried modifying the 107th entry to give me the missing 9 points, and the game stopped working completely.

RE-EDIT: Okay, I did it by opening up the iq-points file in a hex editor and changing the appropriate entry to 6D. I then redid the action (firing myself out of the tube) and the points appeared in my Total but not Current IQ points.

This leads me to believe there is something definitely wrong with the CD/Steam version of the game since I also tested this out on other actions that give IQ points, but the only one that updated correctly was the tube firing. So the script has to be messed up in some way that it doesn't add the appropriate entry to the iq-points file, but it does check correctly to update the score.
icanntspell

Post by icanntspell »

I recently fixed a similar issue in the Amiga version of Indy and the Last Crusade. There were subtle script bugs, not ScummVMs vault. It's possible this is the case here too.

I fixed those by comparing the relevant scripts of a correctly working version (the steam one in this case) with the faulty, and Hex editted the .lfl files to fix the bugs. It takes some time to map all the puzzles to the puzzlenr in the .iq file, but after that it wasn't too hard to do.