CITY 2000

All the inane chatter goes in here. If you're curious about whether we will support a game, post HERE not in General Discussion :)

Moderator: ScummVM Team

AlaraMoonrunner

CITY 2000

Post by AlaraMoonrunner »

Is there any chance this game will be supported or am I looking at a pipe dream here?
fingolfin
Retired

Post by fingolfin »

If you are referring to Sim City 2000: This is not an adventure game and hence clearly out of scope for ScummVM.
eriktorbjorn
ScummVM Developer

Post by eriktorbjorn »

fingolfin wrote:If you are referring to Sim City 2000: This is not an adventure game and hence clearly out of scope for ScummVM.
I think he means C.I.T.Y 2000, which looks like it would be in scope.
AlaraMoonrunner wrote:Is there any chance this game will be supported
We rarely get to pick and choose which games to support. In some cases, the original developers have provided us with their source code. Others have to be reverse-engineered from scratch. Sometimes the work is done in public view, sometimes it appears fully functional seemingly out of the blue. Either way, someone has to care deeply enough about the game to do a lot of work on it.

In this particular case, I'm having trouble finding anyone who cared deeply enough about the game to even review it and the ones I did find weren't favorable. On the other hand we do support some rather odd games already, so I have no idea.
fingolfin
Retired

Post by fingolfin »

Thanks for clarifying, Torbjörn :)
AlaraMoonrunner

Ah, thank you.

PS: Alara is a female name
eriktorbjorn
ScummVM Developer

Post by eriktorbjorn »

AlaraMoonrunner wrote: PS: Alara is a female name
Oops, sorry.
Red_Breast

Post by Red_Breast »

I have that game. I was playing it last night in DOSBox on my Debian box but the video clips weren't playing properly.
Do you like the game Alara? From what I've played I'm not sure if I want to finish it even if it's possible to sort the video out.
Have you ever heard of the game with the same name but it's set in Paris instead of London. It was made by the same people but very few copies (30) were ever released.

Here's a page about the game and where I read about the Paris edition:
http://www.adventurepoint.co.uk/#/city-2000/4522423377

Edit
I remember now how I came to get this game. The name Alara was familiar. A Scummvm thread linked below.
I got the game from EBay like I say in my post. It's taken me 10 months to start playing it!
http://forums.scummvm.org/viewtopic.php ... =city+2000

I'd be happy to donate my game to somebody who's serious about maybe porting it. What I mean by 'maybe' is if the person looks at the game and then decides that they don't want to port it then that's OK as well.
I'd just make a copy for myself.
ddkram

Post by ddkram »

i managed to finally dig out my disk of this today. I used to love this game. I have also tried playing in Dosbox (i use XP) and the video's do seem messed up (intro video seemed to play fine but the in-game videos seem to play all scrambled) is this the same problem you have Red_Breast ?
AlaraMoonrunner

A Paris edition is news to me, honestly. I've been trying to find my copy for a while now... If I knew how to look at the game code I'd see if I can figure out the video issue.

Edit: Note to self, get another copy -_-
ddkram

Post by ddkram »

I have managed to get the video's working in Dosbox (i havent tested it fully but they dont appear to be scrambled while playing anymore)
Red_Breast

Post by Red_Breast »

Yes that is the same problem as I had. Do you know what you done to get it working? Did you change one of the settings of the default dosbox.conf file?
ddkram

Post by ddkram »

Ok then it turns out the patch is on a floppy your supposed to get with the game (i didnt proberly because i bought mine second hand years ago and it was just the CD-ROM) although it may also be possible not all retail copies of the game where sold with the floppy but i am not sure about that since i never actually saw the game when it was new released and there seems to be very little info about this info.