Maniac Mansion NES - prototype

All the inane chatter goes in here. If you're curious about whether we will support a game, post HERE not in General Discussion :)

Moderator: ScummVM Team

glokidd

Post by glokidd »

Joachimeberhard wrote: Hopefully what I wrote makes sense, it's almost 4am after all.
hehe, been there. Probably will again tonight. :D
If i hadnt alredy hit my buying cap for this month i wold try to help on MMnes spanish. If its stiil available next month, maybe, but 20 EUR is like 48 CAN :( .
sev
ScummVM Lead

Post by sev »

We (well, at least me) need Apple ][ versions of the games, also TurboGrafx/PCE (I believe there are 2 versions, English and Japanese). Also Mac and PC Floppy versions of Goblins2 (2 copies each for me and DrMcCoy). LordHoto wouldn't mind more localized versions of all Kyrandias.

Eugene
joachimeberhard
ScummVM Team Member

Post by joachimeberhard »

glokidd wrote:
Joachimeberhard wrote: Hopefully what I wrote makes sense, it's almost 4am after all.
hehe, been there. Probably will again tonight. :D
If i hadnt alredy hit my buying cap for this month i wold try to help on MMnes spanish. If its stiil available next month, maybe, but 20 EUR is like 48 CAN :( .
Heh, my problem is I hit my buying cap for at least April ;) :D

Those games Eugene mentioned would certainly help, but are among the rarer games.
If anyone could at least help to track them down, eg. tell the devs where to buy it, it would already help a bit.

Beware not to post auctions in here you consider for donating, because that could skyrocket the price. So post those links only if you already bought it for donation. :wink:
Adventureguy

Post by Adventureguy »

Are there any new news about the MM prototype? Any new leads at all? Or does anyone know when that version was dumped or who was the dumper?

Just wanted to ask because I'm curious where that cartridge was last seen/used and if it's still somewhere out there...
glokidd

Post by glokidd »

Maybe, when the nintendo Revolution is released and the download service is started, they might use this version of MMNes as the old censorship policys are pretty tame to todays standards. Im not sure how the service will work (nobody is, nintendo is tight-lipped as usual) but it has been suggested that you will either pay for the games individually, or pay a monthly rate. I assume that this service would use roms for the games, probably/possibly in some other format then *.nes, *.snes, etc. for protective reasons. It is really too early to speculate, but, i have to say that im stoked about this service, it seems to be a potential resource for legally obaining alternate versions/languages of the game.
sanguinehearts

Post by sanguinehearts »

I have a lead and know a contact for the owner of the cartridge
im in contact now and will keep everyone posted
Rob
sanguinehearts

Post by sanguinehearts »

I neglected to think that there is only one copy of this in existance
so support for this would be a completely unfair thing to ask the team,
the cartridge has been tracked but support is out of the question because it would require people to play an illegal dump of the cartridge,
something that the SCUMMVM team wish to avoid.
Its actually the best option as well because it could potentially damage the legality of the SCUMMVM project and nobody wants that
this rarity is best left as a rarity
Hoourke

Post by Hoourke »

yes, i think so... :)
Kaminari

Post by Kaminari »

sev wrote:We (well, at least me) need Apple ][ versions of the games, also TurboGrafx/PCE (I believe there are 2 versions, English and Japanese).
A couple years ago, I sent a US copy of Loom PCE to Ender. Has it been of any use? I think some people in the team also have a copy (Kirben?).
Kirben

Post by Kirben »

Kaminari wrote:A couple years ago, I sent a US copy of Loom PCE to Ender. Has it been of any use? I think some people in the team also have a copy (Kirben?).
I bought Loom PCE in the past, but didn't know it used custom file system at the time. eriktorbjorn bought the US version of Loom PCE too. I don't think anyone on team owns the Japanese version of Loom PCE.

An extraction utility was created (Thanks to Quietust) for code track of the CD, but the format of several resource types is unknown and there has been no further progress.
ssdsa

Post by ssdsa »

Kirben wrote:I don't think anyone on team owns the Japanese version of Loom PCE.
I happen to own three copies of the Japanese version of Loom PCE. I'm willing to donate one to a ScummVM developer if someone whats to work on that topic.
sanguinehearts

Post by sanguinehearts »

*BUMP*
Just had a thought, is anyone interested in creating a donation to possibly buy the MM NES prototype for donation to the ScummVM team? it wouldnt be for support(most likely due to the fact there is only one known copy in existance)
but more so as a thank you for all the hard work they have and continue to do.
I still have a contact for the owner of the cartridge
and if there is any interest I can attempt to fire up a conversation about purchasing it.
PsYcO
Got 2 warnings

Post by PsYcO »

like a beta?
sanguinehearts

Post by sanguinehearts »

PsYcO wrote:like a beta?
exactly that

I would start the ball rolling by saying that I will donate
$100 us
PsYcO
Got 2 warnings

Post by PsYcO »

sanguinehearts wrote:
PsYcO wrote:like a beta?
exactly that

I would start the ball rolling by saying that I will donate
$100 us
while that's a nice gesture, im sure they would prefer the money, to maintain the site ect