new adventures

All the inane chatter goes in here. If you're curious about whether we will support a game, post HERE not in General Discussion :)

Moderator: ScummVM Team

KuroShiro
Posts: 468
Joined: Thu May 15, 2008 7:42 am
Location: Miyazaki, Japan

Post by KuroShiro »

I picked up Ceville in English, and it's indeed a good game. Some pretty creative puzzles, and a fun setting. A bit heavy on the pop-culture references though.

Sadly it suffers from typical poor English translation and grammar/semantics which kill a bit of the humor. I'm pretty sure the game would be a lot more enjoyable in German. Oh well. Wonder why no European game makers can seem to find a decent translation service for their games. The Witcher had similar problems, and Simon the Sorceror 4 was abysmal in that.

I strongly recommend the 3rd chapter of Tales of Monkey Island for anyone who hasn't played it yet.
User avatar
bobdevis
Posts: 567
Joined: Fri Jan 16, 2009 10:52 am

Post by bobdevis »

KuroShiro wrote: Sadly it suffers from typical poor English translation and grammar/semantics which kill a bit of the humor. I'm pretty sure the game would be a lot more enjoyable in German.
Are you talking about English subtitles or an English dub?

I am asking because at least for me, the original German with bad subtitles would be somewhat acceptable.
A bad dub is obviously a disaster for anyone, on the other hand....
KuroShiro
Posts: 468
Joined: Thu May 15, 2008 7:42 am
Location: Miyazaki, Japan

Post by KuroShiro »

bobdevis wrote:
KuroShiro wrote: Sadly it suffers from typical poor English translation and grammar/semantics which kill a bit of the humor. I'm pretty sure the game would be a lot more enjoyable in German.
Are you talking about English subtitles or an English dub?

I am asking because at least for me, the original German with bad subtitles would be somewhat acceptable.
A bad dub is obviously a disaster for anyone, on the other hand....
Both. The dub is actually a little bit better than the subtitles as they got decent voice actors, and the voiced lines don't always match the text (which is a good thing). Still could have used a lot of polish. I don't mean to be overly harsh or anything as it's still a good game, but those things just bug me a bit.
Nikioko
Posts: 269
Joined: Sat Sep 13, 2008 12:35 pm

Post by Nikioko »

That is a problem in adventure gaming everywhere. Right now, Germany has the highest number of adventure gamers, threfore most games are German made, an everyone is published in German. Since there is a longer dubbing tradition, the quality of the dubs is rather good. Bad luck that for English speaking people dubbing was unnecassary most of the time, so that there is not much experience in English dubbing. That is sad because there are so many games, even fan made games like Zak McKracken between Time and Space:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5m8H9LmIT9o

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5KjmUUzx5BM
Nikioko
Posts: 269
Joined: Sat Sep 13, 2008 12:35 pm

Post by Nikioko »

I am playing Secret Files II: Puritas Cordis right now, which is quite a good game. Nice graphics.
Reckless
Posts: 219
Joined: Tue Nov 01, 2005 1:12 am

Post by Reckless »

Nikioko wrote:That is a problem in adventure gaming everywhere. Right now, Germany has the highest number of adventure gamers, threfore most games are German made, an everyone is published in German. Since there is a longer dubbing tradition, the quality of the dubs is rather good. Bad luck that for English speaking people dubbing was unnecassary most of the time, so that there is not much experience in English dubbing. That is sad because there are so many games, even fan made games like Zak McKracken between Time and Space:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5m8H9LmIT9o

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5KjmUUzx5BM
From their forum you can see Zak BTAS is to be released in English soon. Been waiting for this (like BS2.5) in English for a while. Not in a manic depressive way, they both look good and another month, two, several will not make any difference :)
User avatar
MusicallyInspired
Posts: 1062
Joined: Fri Mar 02, 2007 8:03 am
Location: Manitoba, Canada
Contact:

Post by MusicallyInspired »

My wife and I just bought a couple of adventure games to play together. She got a game called The Sacred Rings and I got Dracula Origin.
Nikioko
Posts: 269
Joined: Sat Sep 13, 2008 12:35 pm

Post by Nikioko »

MusicallyInspired wrote:My wife and I just bought a couple of adventure games to play together. She got a game called The Sacred Rings and I got Dracula Origin.
OK, Aura 2 is from 2007 and therefore not the newest game, but it got a nice critique (79 %):

http://www.adventure-treff.de/artikel/tests.php?id=120

Dracula: Origin is a year newer and got a similar mark (80%):

http://www.adventure-treff.de/artikel/tests.php?id=165

But this year has been a year of really great games, maybe the bet year ever: The Book of Unwritten Tales, Ceville, The Whispered World, Monkey Island Special Edition, Black Mirror 2, Edna, Rhiannon, Sam & Max, Broken Sword Director's Cut, Simon the Sorcerer 5, Still Life 2, Gobliiins 4, ...
Nikioko
Posts: 269
Joined: Sat Sep 13, 2008 12:35 pm

Post by Nikioko »

For those who can understand it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_sCkQdSARDw
Nikioko
Posts: 269
Joined: Sat Sep 13, 2008 12:35 pm

Post by Nikioko »

Everyone heard of Ghost Pirates of Vooju Island already?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b6-_GX97noo
User avatar
CharlyDic
Posts: 10
Joined: Fri Nov 30, 2007 12:30 am
Location: La Plata, Buenos Aires, Argentina

Post by CharlyDic »

Have anyone played "Machinarium"? It's one of the most beautiful adventures I've seen. A bit short, but graphics are awesome. You can try the demo in their home page:

Machinarium
Nikioko
Posts: 269
Joined: Sat Sep 13, 2008 12:35 pm

Post by Nikioko »

CharlyDic wrote:Have anyone played "Machinarium"? It's one of the most beautiful adventures I've seen. A bit short, but graphics are awesome. You can try the demo in their home page:

Machinarium
I tried Machinarium, but I prefer The Whispered World in respect to "awsome graphics". But Machinarium is nice, indeed.
Nikioko
Posts: 269
Joined: Sat Sep 13, 2008 12:35 pm

Post by Nikioko »

Treasure Island is now available in English:

http://www.adventurecompanygames.com/tr ... /index.php
scoriae
Posts: 260
Joined: Thu Jan 03, 2008 3:32 am

Post by scoriae »

First up - I am reading that Whispered World will recieve a UK (English) release as of February 12th. A few other countries were mentioned on the press release as well.

Second - I played through a game called Drawn: The Painted Tower recently and I found it to be a very good, albeit short, game.
Nikioko
Posts: 269
Joined: Sat Sep 13, 2008 12:35 pm

Post by Nikioko »

scoriae wrote:First up - I am reading that Whispered World will recieve a UK (English) release as of February 12th. A few other countries were mentioned on the press release as well.

Second - I played through a game called Drawn: The Painted Tower recently and I found it to be a very good, albeit short, game.
The Whispered World is a very recommendable adventure along with The Book of Unwritten Tales and Ceville. 2009 was a really great year for adventures. So if you can get it in your language and country, I strongly advise you to do so.
I wonder if TWW will come along with those nice d12 dices like in the first German edition.
Post Reply