The Journeyman Project Trilogy: Possible?

All the inane chatter goes in here. If you're curious about whether we will support a game, post HERE not in General Discussion :)

Moderator: ScummVM Team

Post Reply
BTlover
Posts: 3
Joined: Fri Nov 09, 2007 1:20 pm

The Journeyman Project Trilogy: Possible?

Post by BTlover »

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Journeyman ... _franchise

Just recently, I went to the thrift store and found the jewel of all jewels: The Journeyman Project Trilogy Boxset for only THREE dollars. In perfect condition, not used whatsoever. A fear of mine was the known issue with manufacturing in which Disc 2 of Buried in Time was the exact same as Disc 3, thereby making it unplayable. There used to be a support service for this error, but because the company has shut down ever since, it's really hard to find a Disc 2 for the game that works unless it is from the original. HOWEVER... I just checked Disc 2 and Disc 3 of the second game and found out that they are not the same. Lo and Behold, I have a perfect copy of all three games!

But, that's beside what I'm trying to say here. I later looked on Google for XP and Vista compatibility, but could find no real helpful hints. Therefore, I am making this suggestion for ScummVM to have support for The Journeyman Project trilogy. What does everyone else think of this idea?

This may be going above and beyond, but I was also thinking of how it could be possible to resolve the problematic Disc 2 of the second game. Seeing as there is no real chance of getting any support at all, why not take the chance of uploading the entirety of Disc 2, with permission of the creators/current owners/copyright-holders? It would make sense to forever be done with this problem so that people can properly play the second game, wouldn't it? I don't seem the harm in making a change to save a game for the lovers of the series.

In any case, I encourage people to discuss this and show support for it so that 'sev' and the rest will take the series into consideration.
Last edited by BTlover on Sun Jul 12, 2009 6:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
MusicallyInspired
Posts: 1063
Joined: Fri Mar 02, 2007 8:03 am
Location: Manitoba, Canada
Contact:

Re: The Journeyman Project Trilogy: Possible?

Post by MusicallyInspired »

BTlover wrote:Just recently, I went to the thrift store and found the jewel of all jewels: The Journeyman Project Trilogy Boxset for only THREE dollars. In perfect condition, not used whatsoever. A fear of mine was the known issue with manufacturing in which Disc 2 of Buried in Time was the exact same as Disc 3, thereby making it unplayable. There used to be a support service for this error, but because the company has shut down ever since, it's really hard to find a Disc 2 for the game that works unless it is from the original. HOWEVER... I just checked Disc 2 and Disc 3 of the second game and found out that they are not the same. Lo and Behold, I have a perfect copy of all three games!
You're lucky. I found my copy (more like a folder rather than a boxset, really) in a Future Shop for $9.99 and it DID end up having the manufacturing defect. :(
User avatar
marticus
Posts: 75
Joined: Sat Nov 26, 2005 11:32 am

Post by marticus »

Why did you link to a non-existant article?
Jorpho
Posts: 74
Joined: Sun Jan 15, 2006 2:20 am

Post by Jorpho »

There were in fact murmurs about a remake being in the works a while back.
User avatar
clone2727
Retired
Posts: 1611
Joined: Fri Jun 09, 2006 8:23 pm
Location: NJ, USA

Re: The Journeyman Project Trilogy: Possible?

Post by clone2727 »

BTlover wrote:But, that's beside what I'm trying to say here. I later looked on Google for XP and Vista compatibility, but could find no real helpful hints. Therefore, I am making this suggestion for ScummVM to have support for The Journeyman Project trilogy. What does everyone else think of this idea?
The main problem with the games is that they are entirely hardcoded making RE very hard. And Legacy of Time would be better fit for Residual than ScummVM.
User avatar
ezekiel000
Posts: 443
Joined: Mon Aug 25, 2008 5:17 pm
Location: Surrey, England

Post by ezekiel000 »

As they are all hard coded has anyone tried contacting Presto Studios to see if they are willing to donate the source code.

I've never played the games, I only know about the series as there is a demo on one of the Myst series CDs.
User avatar
clone2727
Retired
Posts: 1611
Joined: Fri Jun 09, 2006 8:23 pm
Location: NJ, USA

Post by clone2727 »

ezekiel000 wrote:As they are all hard coded has anyone tried contacting Presto Studios to see if they are willing to donate the source code.
Presto is currently working on ports to Mac OS X with their code. I'll try again soon, hopefully.
sithlord2
Posts: 6
Joined: Sat Dec 27, 2008 12:00 pm

Post by sithlord2 »

I actually did some research on this, and it seems thet the original Journeyman Project was created in Adobe Director 2.0. A so-called "projector" was used to make an EXE out of it.

So basically, there are only three ways to make this game work under ScummVM:

- Recode the entire game logic from scratch (a lot of work)
- Reverse engineer the Director 2.0 format, and make your own projector under ScummVM (still hard, I think)
- Getting the original project files from the author, and remake the game with a more recent version of Macromedia Director (if that's possible).

The game's resources are in their original format on the disc (AVI,BMP), so that's actually the easiest part.
fuzzie
ScummVM Developer
Posts: 178
Joined: Mon May 24, 2010 3:02 pm

Post by fuzzie »

Wow, thread necromancy. :P
sithlord2 wrote:- Reverse engineer the Director 2.0 format, and make your own projector under ScummVM (still hard, I think)
- Getting the original project files from the author, and remake the game with a more recent version of Macromedia Director (if that's possible).
You'd need to implement your own projector if you wanted it to work under ScummVM, whether you used a more recent version of Director or not.

http://clone2727.blogspot.com/2011/12/reminiscing.html is a much better bet. :-)
User avatar
clone2727
Retired
Posts: 1611
Joined: Fri Jun 09, 2006 8:23 pm
Location: NJ, USA

Post by clone2727 »

sithlord2 wrote:I actually did some research on this, and it seems thet the original Journeyman Project was created in Adobe Director 2.0. A so-called "projector" was used to make an EXE out of it.

So basically, there are only three ways to make this game work under ScummVM:

- Recode the entire game logic from scratch (a lot of work)
- Reverse engineer the Director 2.0 format, and make your own projector under ScummVM (still hard, I think)
- Getting the original project files from the author, and remake the game with a more recent version of Macromedia Director (if that's possible).

The game's resources are in their original format on the disc (AVI,BMP), so that's actually the easiest part.
Note that the Windows "Turbo!" variant does not use Director. And since you say there's AVI and BMP there, I'm going to take an educated guess and say you actually have the Windows "Turbo!" game and not one using Director. That will take some effort to reverse engineer (though, I did start on some things here) and the original source code for this one has currently vanished off the face of the Earth.

As fuzzie mentioned, my efforts have been concentrated on Pegasus.
Post Reply