Point and Click Gaming

All the inane chatter goes in here. If you're curious about whether we will support a game, post HERE not in General Discussion :)

Moderator: ScummVM Team

User avatar
md5
ScummVM Developer
Posts: 2261
Joined: Thu Nov 03, 2005 9:31 pm
Location: Athens, Greece

Post by md5 » Thu Jun 25, 2009 4:37 pm

Right...

Since you obviously don't want to learn the bare minimum knowledge that will help you understand how websites work (i.e. at least HTML, not to mention CSS and Javascript or any server-side scripting language), I'd suggest to at least go and start learning/using a visual tool, such as Dreamweaver or Frontpage. The web sites produced by Word will only work on certain systems and with specific resolutions.

Web sites are meant to be viewed by several browsers running under a variety of operating systems. Such is the nature of the web.

If you still want to keep using Word for web site development, then just accept that not many people will actually read your web site.

Pipboy
Posts: 29
Joined: Thu Jun 04, 2009 12:40 pm

Post by Pipboy » Thu Jun 25, 2009 4:38 pm

md5 wrote:Right...

Since you obviously don't want to learn the bare minimum knowledge that will help you understand how websites work (i.e. at least HTML, not to mention CSS and Javascript or any server-side scripting language), I'd suggest to at least go and start learning/using a visual tool, such as Dreamweaver or Frontpage. The web sites produced by Word will only work on certain systems and with specific resolutions.

Web sites are meant to be viewed by several browsers running under a variety of operating systems. Such is the nature of the web.

If you still want to keep using Word for web site development, then just accept that not many people will actually read your web site.
Im not using Word im using dreamweaver.And i do no the basic html and css ive done a course in web design.

Nikioko
Posts: 269
Joined: Sat Sep 13, 2008 12:35 pm

Post by Nikioko » Thu Jun 25, 2009 4:53 pm

Don't get mad of this criticism. Actually, the blokes are right by saying, the site should at least comply the actual standards. "i dont care it looks fine on all the most popular browers" is quite an arrogant attitude. You listed some browsers where it worked, but you have't even tested it on Opera which is the most common browser beside IE and Firefox. Don't you want to ensure that your site can be displayed by ALL browsers?
As for the content: right now, the site contains nothing than a couple of walkthroughs of some of the most common adventures. Nothing that cannot be found somewhere else. I really dislike doublettes: A waste of webspace, in my eyes.
You are complaining that you just get unuseful criticism. That is not true; the guys suggest you to learn some of the basics of HTML coding first - a reason why I will never have my own site. If you like your site the way it is and if you wanted confirmation that your site is good... well then good luck. I personally prefer the sites I mentioned above for they contain current topics such as new releases, previews, news of new projects etc. The guys who run these sites don't actually just collect stuff from the net, they interview the game designers themselves and put some efford into their contents. Nothing that could be done on the fly. And, besides, these sites provide everything you are providing, too.

User avatar
eriktorbjorn
ScummVM Developer
Posts: 3315
Joined: Mon Oct 31, 2005 7:39 am

Post by eriktorbjorn » Thu Jun 25, 2009 5:01 pm

Pipboy wrote: What error in the title?
"Shadow of the Teplars", I assume. (It's "Templars".)

Pipboy
Posts: 29
Joined: Thu Jun 04, 2009 12:40 pm

Post by Pipboy » Thu Jun 25, 2009 5:06 pm

Nikioko wrote:Don't get mad of this criticism. Actually, the blokes are right by saying, the site should at least comply the actual standards. "i dont care it looks fine on all the most popular browers" is quite an arrogant attitude. You listed some browsers where it worked, but you have't even tested it on Opera which is the most common browser beside IE and Firefox. Don't you want to ensure that your site can be displayed by ALL browsers?
As for the content: right now, the site contains nothing than a couple of walkthroughs of some of the most common adventures. Nothing that cannot be found somewhere else. I really dislike doublettes: A waste of webspace, in my eyes.
You are complaining that you just get unuseful criticism. That is not true; the guys suggest you to learn some of the basics of HTML coding first - a reason why I will never have my own site. If you like your site the way it is and if you wanted confirmation that your site is good... well then good luck. I personally prefer the sites I mentioned above for they contain current topics such as new releases, previews, news of new projects etc. The guys who run these sites don't actually just collect stuff from the net, they interview the game designers themselves and put some efford into their contents. Nothing that could be done on the fly. And, besides, these sites provide everything you are providing, too.
Anyway ive just done an html validation on it there are no errors atall. Only a few warning witch i have changed. Yes i no theres only a few walkthrough i cant instantly have a site it has to start from somewhere. Oringally i came on here to see if anyone wanted to help out with reviews,guide,videos eg but all i got was moaned at.

User avatar
MusicallyInspired
Posts: 1033
Joined: Fri Mar 02, 2007 8:03 am
Location: Manitoba, Canada
Contact:

Post by MusicallyInspired » Thu Jun 25, 2009 6:04 pm

If you don't care if it works on all browsers and you're "not making it for anybody" then why ARE you making it? Websites like this are supposed to be a service for others. And any service provided for others should be done with at least a professional approach. So far your attitude on the whole matter has been completely unprofessional and passive. If you don't care about anybody who would look are your website than they're not going to care to visit it. I know I won't. But if you're just making the website for yourself then I guess that's all you're after anyway. Personally I think it's very petty and egotistical (not to mention a waste of time) to make a website for nobody but yourself. And you especially won't get any help with adding reviews and such if they don't believe that it's going to actually be read by anybody.

And don't use the "It's just a free website" excuse. Most of the websites on the internet are all free and it doesn't stop them from doing the best they can do.

Don't ask for help if you're not interested in what we have to say. I'm not even sure why you asked for help in the first place seeing as you're only making it for yourself.

Have fun wasting your time.

User avatar
DrMcCoy
ScummVM Developer
Posts: 596
Joined: Sat Dec 17, 2005 1:33 pm
Location: Braunschweig, Germany
Contact:

Post by DrMcCoy » Thu Jun 25, 2009 6:22 pm

Pipboy wrote:Anyway ive just done an html validation on it there are no errors atall.
There are a lot errors. For each site. Granted, the validator's recommendations are a bit wonky.
For example, here, the help texts at errors 2 and 3 are misleading. The problem there is that the attributes background and id don't exist for td and script in the standard.

Pipboy
Posts: 29
Joined: Thu Jun 04, 2009 12:40 pm

Post by Pipboy » Thu Jun 25, 2009 7:02 pm

MusicallyInspired wrote:If you don't care if it works on all browsers and you're "not making it for anybody" then why ARE you making it? Websites like this are supposed to be a service for others. And any service provided for others should be done with at least a professional approach. So far your attitude on the whole matter has been completely unprofessional and passive. If you don't care about anybody who would look are your website than they're not going to care to visit it. I know I won't. But if you're just making the website for yourself then I guess that's all you're after anyway. Personally I think it's very petty and egotistical (not to mention a waste of time) to make a website for nobody but yourself. And you especially won't get any help with adding reviews and such if they don't believe that it's going to actually be read by anybody.

And don't use the "It's just a free website" excuse. Most of the websites on the internet are all free and it doesn't stop them from doing the best they can do.

Don't ask for help if you're not interested in what we have to say. I'm not even sure why you asked for help in the first place seeing as you're only making it for yourself.

Have fun wasting your time.
Look ok i do want it to work but all the popular ones it works on you cant have everything work on every single browser its not possible I just didnt like the way everyone was having a dig no one was helping they were just saying is crap and its wrong i just had enough of people moaning.

User avatar
DrMcCoy
ScummVM Developer
Posts: 596
Joined: Sat Dec 17, 2005 1:33 pm
Location: Braunschweig, Germany
Contact:

Post by DrMcCoy » Thu Jun 25, 2009 7:08 pm

Pipboy wrote:you cant have everything work on every single browser its not possible
Actually, it is possible. By writing valid HTML. If it then doesn't work on one particular browser, that browser's to blame. Until then, the fault is yours.
Pipboy wrote:I just didnt like the way everyone was having a dig no one was helping they were just saying is crap its wrong
We were specifically saying what's wrong and how to fix it. That is helping. If you don't want to fix your broken HTML, fine. Don't go about asking for help then, though.
Pipboy wrote:i just had enough of people moaning.
Oh, poor you.

People do not solely exist to tell you what you want to hear and how great you are. If you can't handle the truth, go away until you've grown up.

Pipboy
Posts: 29
Joined: Thu Jun 04, 2009 12:40 pm

Post by Pipboy » Thu Jun 25, 2009 7:13 pm

Lets just drop the petttyness now shall its getting stupid now all i did was post a link and ask for some help.

User avatar
DrMcCoy
ScummVM Developer
Posts: 596
Joined: Sat Dec 17, 2005 1:33 pm
Location: Braunschweig, Germany
Contact:

Post by DrMcCoy » Thu Jun 25, 2009 7:23 pm

And we provided help. That you didn't like that particular help isn't our fault.

Pipboy
Posts: 29
Joined: Thu Jun 04, 2009 12:40 pm

Post by Pipboy » Thu Jun 25, 2009 7:26 pm

DrMcCoy wrote:And we provided help. That you didn't like that particular help isn't our fault.

Funny thing is i no this site is bigger but this one page has more html Warnings than my index

Like i said lets just stop it now. Ive done validation on the index and i will do on all new pages.

Pipboy
Posts: 29
Joined: Thu Jun 04, 2009 12:40 pm

Post by Pipboy » Thu Jun 25, 2009 7:57 pm

Pipboy wrote:
DrMcCoy wrote:And we provided help. That you didn't like that particular help isn't our fault.

Like i said lets just stop it now. Ive done validation on the index and i will do on all new pages.

What sort of thing could i add to the site to improve it.

Nikioko
Posts: 269
Joined: Sat Sep 13, 2008 12:35 pm

Post by Nikioko » Thu Jun 25, 2009 8:27 pm

Pipboy wrote:
DrMcCoy wrote:And we provided help. That you didn't like that particular help isn't our fault.

Funny thing is i no this site is bigger but this one page has more html Warnings than my index

Like i said lets just stop it now. Ive done validation on the index and i will do on all new pages.
Do you actually know that the correct spelling of "know" is "know" and not "no"? "No" is quite another word, the opposite to "yes". And as many people won't understand the sentence because of the misspelling, there might be browsers that don't understand broken HTML. If you want to fulfill the task seriously, you have to put some more efford into it to pay off. Otherwise it is just a waste of time. Do the whole thing or Knutting Atoll.

User avatar
spookypeanut
ScummVM Developer
Posts: 158
Joined: Tue Sep 12, 2006 9:35 am
Location: St Albans, UK
Contact:

Post by spookypeanut » Thu Jun 25, 2009 9:49 pm

eriktorbjorn wrote:
Pipboy wrote: What error in the title?
"Shadow of the Teplars", I assume. (It's "Templars".)
Actually, the error I was referring to was "Pairs II" instead of "Paris II", which he corrected and then replied.
But he's right, let's stop this thread and get back to what we love doing: playing / writing about / coding adventure games.

http://cheezburger.com/view.aspx?ciid=3184538!!!

Post Reply