Which games would you like to be supported on the future?

All the inane chatter goes in here. If you're curious about whether we will support a game, post HERE not in General Discussion :)

Moderator: ScummVM Team

SuperDre

Re: Which games would you like to be supported on the future?

Post by SuperDre »

Jonatan wrote:why? are YOU going to help develop it? I bet it is going to hit trunk when the time is right.
well, that's a constructive answer.......... and who knows maybe I would help fix problems at least I could if I've had the time, YOU certainly don't with the answer you gave.. And about it hitting the trunk, as far as I know there is no sign that someone is working on a Scummvm version of the mohawk engine, only some half finished external projects, which ofcourse is a bitch to incorporate into the scummvm engine if it's done afterwards completely..
fingolfin
Retired

Post by fingolfin »

Relax, folks, no need to grab each other's throat :-). I am sure most / all of you are just excited to see as many adventures supported by ScummVM as possible. Sometimes we just come across in a way we didn't intend.

Here's a wise saying I can only recommend to everybody: "If you can't say anything nice, better say nothing at all." (I admit I do not always manage to heed it as I should, but I at least try to :-).
chojin

Post by chojin »

Games I like to play on SCUMMVM platforms:

- SCI Games (Kings Quest 4-7, Police Quest 2-4, Codename Iceman, Larry 2-7, Space Quest 3-6)
- 11th Hour
- Discworld 1&2
- Orion Burger
slammerinho

Post by slammerinho »

TV Sports Basketball and TV sports Boxing. And Discworld. I Downloaded Dworld but i could not save the game so i wonder if it could be done.
Longcat

Post by Longcat »

How about doing a little research?

Discworld is supported(though not yet officially). It is not, however, freewared YET, and the discussion of illegally downloaded games on these forums are not accepted - see Forum Rule #0.
Robot_Maker20

Post by Robot_Maker20 »

I'd really like to see Mission Critical supported - definitely the best non-humourous sci-fi adventure game I ever played. Unfortunately, I gather it's somewhat rare (and that's within a genre that's rare enough as it is!), so I doubt anyone else will either be inclined to work on it any time soon or have an authentic copy to work on anyway. I'd love to have a go at reverse engineering a game myself some day and contributing to the project, but it'll have to wait until I've got a lot more free time available.
SuperDre

Post by SuperDre »

Robot_Maker20 wrote:I'd really like to see Mission Critical supported - definitely the best non-humourous sci-fi adventure game I ever played. Unfortunately, I gather it's somewhat rare (and that's within a genre that's rare enough as it is!), so I doubt anyone else will either be inclined to work on it any time soon or have an authentic copy to work on anyway. I'd love to have a go at reverse engineering a game myself some day and contributing to the project, but it'll have to wait until I've got a lot more free time available.
It really get's very great positive reviews.. and seeing most of the Legend games use simular engines (their text/graphics based, and their fully graphics based games). so by starting with one of their first fully graphical games one can start with supporting their engine.. maybe someone (maybe an external engine) is already working on their games (haven't checked it yet)..
I did see MC somewhere on some abandonware/freegames sites, but I'm pretty sure MC isn't made freeware by the owners..
eriktorbjorn
ScummVM Developer

Post by eriktorbjorn »

SuperDre wrote: It really get's very great positive reviews.. and seeing most of the Legend games use simular engines (their text/graphics based, and their fully graphics based games). so by starting with one of their first fully graphical games one can start with supporting their engine.. maybe someone (maybe an external engine) is already working on their games (haven't checked it yet)..
Similar in appearence, or similar from a technical point of view? I thought I heard somewhere that there was a lot of hard-coded game logic in them.
I did see MC somewhere on some abandonware/freegames sites, but I'm pretty sure MC isn't made freeware by the owners..
You used to be able to download Gateway from Legend Entertainment, but I think that was only for a limited time; possibly as a promotion for the Lost Adventures of Legend collection. Sort of how Activision used to have the Zork trilogy available for download to promote Zork Grand Inquisitor.

I haven't heard of any other Legend Entertainment games ever being available for free.
tikitang

Post by tikitang »

I'd really like to see Cryo's Lost Eden supported.
KuroShiro

Post by KuroShiro »

eriktorbjorn wrote: Similar in appearence, or similar from a technical point of view? I thought I heard somewhere that there was a lot of hard-coded game logic in them.
Well, I can't speak from a very technical perspective as I've never tried reverse engineering any of the Legend Entertainment games, but at least in the ones I own (Gateway 1 & 2, Eric the Unready), there are data files for all of the graphics, music and strings (maybe other things as well). Again I'm not a programmer so I can't really speak to how much if it is hardcoded, but certainly not the majority of the data.

It would be a fine thing to see some of these games supported some day, although the older ones work fine in Dosbox for the most part.
fingolfin
Retired

Post by fingolfin »

Well, graphics, strings, music/audio are basically always in some kind of well-define data storage, so that is not really saying much :).

What is cruicial to know is whether the game *scripts* are in a separate file, or whether there are scripts at all -- as opposed to hard coded logic. Because hard coded logic is what makes it very difficult and *hard* work to support these games.

Plus, hard coded logic means that if you have implemented support for part I of a game series, then you have to do the same work for part II again. And for part III.
john_doe
ScummVM Developer

Post by john_doe »

The Legend games can be put in two categories:
1. The "old" games like Eric the Unready, Spellcasting etc
and 2. the newer games like Death Gate, Shannara etc.
The games of each category use a similar framework, but sadly all game logic is hardcoded, which means reimplementing these games is a lot of tedious and boring work. And like Fingolfin says, even if you had the "engine" part ready, you'd still have to implement the logic for every game. This is a long and extremely boring task (that's also the main reason why the M4/MADS engine games don't make any progress - all their game logic is hardcoded) unless the hardcoded parts are extremely simple, which isn't the case with the Legend games.
(It's almost a conspiracy - aside from the games already supported/in the works, most of the games I'd like to see supported and had a look at use hardcoded logic, while "minor" games use scripts...:))
KuroShiro

Post by KuroShiro »

john_doe wrote:The Legend games can be put in two categories:
(It's almost a conspiracy - aside from the games already supported/in the works, most of the games I'd like to see supported and had a look at use hardcoded logic, while "minor" games use scripts...:))
Indeed :( It's too bad because the Legend Ent games were almost all really good (if extremely difficult in some cases). I think some of the logic for the mini-game parts of Gateway 1 might be in scripts, but probably not for the majority of gameplay.

Too bad the company was shut down by Atari :evil: or maybe you could work on getting the source code.
AlaraMoonrunner

Post by AlaraMoonrunner »

my wishlist

Spirit of Excalibur
Conan the Cimmerian
Conquest of Camelot
The Horde
Eric the Unready
Wrath of the Demon
Infocom text adventures (over 30 - I have the Masterpieces right beside me)
Zork 1-3, Beyond Zork and Zork 0
rented mule

Post by rented mule »

Well, if scummVM remains a graphical point'n'click adventure game interpreter, my wish list would be the Dynamix games:

Willy Beamish
Heart of China
Rise of the Dragon