Which games would you like to be supported on the future?

All the inane chatter goes in here. If you're curious about whether we will support a game, post HERE not in General Discussion :)

Moderator: ScummVM Team

eriktorbjorn
ScummVM Developer

Re: my wishlist

Post by eriktorbjorn »

AlaraMoonrunner wrote: Infocom text adventures (over 30 - I have the Masterpieces right beside me)
Zork 1-3, Beyond Zork and Zork 0
There are plenty of other interpreters for those already of course, but I'm guessing you knew that already.
AlaraMoonrunner

Post by AlaraMoonrunner »

Actually it's news to me, ScummVM is really the only program of it's kind I know of/use.
ezekiel000

Post by ezekiel000 »

WinFrotz is the best z-machine interpreter for Windows, I still haven't found a good one with a gui for GNOME. kwest looks good for kde, not sure about mac.
AlaraMoonrunner

Post by AlaraMoonrunner »

ezekiel000 wrote:WinFrotz is the best z-machine interpreter for Windows, I still haven't found a good one with a gui for GNOME. kwest looks good for kde, not sure about mac.
Thanks.
eriktorbjorn
ScummVM Developer

Post by eriktorbjorn »

ezekiel000 wrote:WinFrotz is the best z-machine interpreter for Windows, I still haven't found a good one with a gui for GNOME. kwest looks good for kde, not sure about mac.
Does anyone know what the difference is between "WinFrotz" and "WindowsFrotz"? The latter appears to be more recent, but I don't run Windows myself so I can't check...

The commercial market for text adventures is long gone, but people are still writing them and some are actually quite good. I haven't paid them much attention for the past few years, but I guess some good places to start looking would be the Interactive Fiction Archive, Baf's Guide to the Interactive Fiction Archive or The Interactive Fiction DataBase.

If you plan on writing them yourself, I guess TADS and Inform are still the two major authoring systems. (The Cloak of Darkness shows how a small sample game can be implemented in several different languages.)
Robot_Maker20

Post by Robot_Maker20 »

I wonder, would "Titanic:Adventure out of Time" qualify for scummvm, assuming someone would be willing to go to the effort of reverse engineering it? Technically, it's a windows game, but as far as I know it only works properly on 95/98 and 3.1(!) - certainly, I've never got it working on XP. It's not a bad adventure game, and it also has an extremely good implementation of the ultimate Holy Grail of plot-focused gamers, meaningful multiple-endings. I'm pretty sure it's a 2D engine, if I remember correctly it uses some very rudimentary sprite scaling for characters in the play field.
Last edited by Robot_Maker20 on Tue Apr 21, 2009 9:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
eriktorbjorn
ScummVM Developer

Post by eriktorbjorn »

Robot_Maker20 wrote:assuming someone would be willing to go to the effort of reverse engineering it?
That's always the really big "if", isn't it?
Robot_Maker20 wrote:It's not a bad adventure game, and it also has an extremely good implementation of the ultimate Holy Grail of plot-focused gamers, meaningful multiple-endings.
I've never played it myself, but this review does praise the endgame. (The link for where to buy the game is out of date, though. The review is almost ten years old.)
Graxer

Post by Graxer »

It would be great if Ace Ventura was supported. That is a good game.
bobdevis

Post by bobdevis »

Perhaps when the work on Myst and Riven is done then Lighthouse: The Dark Being may be a candidate for ScummVM support.
I suddenly remembered I have that game packed in storage somewhere and that I enjoyed it a lot at the time.
MusicallyInspired

Post by MusicallyInspired »

I thought Lighthouse was SCI32 (or later?). In which case Myst and Riven support will mean nothing to its development.
bobdevis

Post by bobdevis »

MusicallyInspired wrote:I thought Lighthouse was SCI32 (or later?). In which case Myst and Riven support will mean nothing to its development.
Oh I didn't mean it that way.

Lighthouse is a fairly good Myst clone but getting Myst working obviously takes priority as it is much more of a classic. That was my line of thought.
Anyway I checked DosBox and they have Lighthouse listed as 100% supported. Myst can not run in DOS as it hooks onto that stupid Quicktime plugin. The best way to run Myst today is with a Win98 virtual machine it seems.

There are lots of Lighthouse sellers on Ebay. I can recommend to anyone who loves Myst.
clone2727
Retired

Post by clone2727 »

bobdevis wrote:Myst can not run in DOS as it hooks onto that stupid Quicktime plugin. The best way to run Myst today is with a Win98 virtual machine it seems.
Ironically, the original Myst (16-bit, Win3.1) works best on my WinXP computer. Myst ME has some random crashes, but generally works fine. Riven works horrendously -- the original doesn't work for me at all, and the 10th anniversary DVD only works with an older QuickTime version (6.3). And, QuickTime 7.6 has an extremely nasty bug that breaks Cinepak.
SuperDre

Post by SuperDre »

bobdevis wrote:There are lots of Lighthouse sellers on Ebay. I can recommend to anyone who loves Myst.
I even saw lighthouse in a Mediamarkt in our city, but I didn't buy it because I heard loose disks inside the sealed package, and that can not be a good sign for such an old game.. but maybe I'll buy it anyway and if the disks are scratched I'll just download it from somewhere...
bobdevis

Post by bobdevis »

Now that I think of it, a Win2k VM may be a good idea for both Myst and Riven.
I know both games work in Win2K with the proper old Quicktime and Win2K is (unlike Win98) supported by the free VirtualBox.
You will still need to get a Win2K license ofcause...
SuperDre wrote:.. but maybe I'll buy it anyway and if the disks are scratched I'll just download it from somewhere...
Tsk... tsk.... If memory serves me well, you are one of the people who always argues against file sharing on tweakers.net, aren't you?
LordHoto
ScummVM Developer

Post by LordHoto »

SuperDre wrote:but maybe I'll buy it anyway and if the disks are scratched I'll just download it from somewhere...
Forum rule #0, no warez.