Which games would you like to be supported on the future?

All the inane chatter goes in here. If you're curious about whether we will support a game, post HERE not in General Discussion :)

Moderator: ScummVM Team

GusCE6

Re: Which games would you like to be supported on the future?

Post by GusCE6 »

Gingertip's "Foxtail."

Hopefully once it works on ScummVM then it will work on this old laptop.
bert3

Post by bert3 »

Gingertip's "Foxtail." seems to be a recent Windows/Linux/Mac Game

if that is the case...
-there is no need for a scumm backend - its already running native
-it won't run any faster because its already native speed on all major platforms

scumm does bring old games that not supported on the major platforms to new life
scumm does not make recent games with decent hardware demands faster on slower systems
GusCE6

Post by GusCE6 »

Well, right off the bat:

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=14566

I was directed here by Wintermute, so they know about the effort.

I have gotten the game to run, thanks to Gingertips sending an alternative file. The only problem, minor as it is, is that it cannot run without SwiftShader 2.1 which does slow things down- this is noticeable at the beginning with Leah and the train.

Since the game does run on that old XP laptop now it is likely that the specs given are accurate. ScummVM WOULD make the game run faster because at least in theory the game would run without directly needing SwiftShader 2.1.

I recently purchased "Loom" from Steam for the ASUS and tried it on that Sony (I like tinkering with old hardware to see how far it can go). Obviously it failed to work because the Steam app is required, but when run through ScummVM it not only ran but ran very nearly as fast as on any modern device. It's a safe bet that had the game been able to run without the Steam app but did require SwiftShader 2.1 then it would have been slower.

By the by, "Loom" is the first time ScummVM was able to get a game running that did not run before- games that I have, that is! Before that the one thing it accomplished was getting "The Legend of Kyrandia" running in fullscreen- which was actually quite nice. Note that I did purchase the game and without ScummVM it would have been impossible to have run it on the Sony anyway- short of a pirated version.

"Loom" is a short game but playing it on that antique laptop was quite satisfying. And "Kyrandia" in fullscreen is also a treat (before it could only be run with the quite-nifty DOSBox). Thank you, folks behind this app!
MusicallyInspired

Post by MusicallyInspired »

DOSBox is perfectly capable of running fullscreen.
GusCE6

Post by GusCE6 »

So it is!

But it's safer to use ScummVM on that old laptop for fullscreen. Besides, "full screen mode" with "The Legend of Kyrandia" and "Inherit the Earth" simply means the small screen is on a black screen- often the desktop icons must be rearranged later- whereas with ScummVM you actually do get a true full screen display! :)

You should know a few things about it for this to make sense to you since that Sony is quirky- it came out in 2001. If you run those DirectX tests on it for 7-9 everything checks out, but if you actually try to RUN a game or even ScummVM that requires these things it often just crashes. My guess was that it's because it came out in 2001.

"Deepica," "The Golden Path of Plumeboom," "Plumeboom: The First Chapter," "Fiber Twig Midnight Puzzle," "Inherit the Earth (Steam version)," "Ancient Wonderland," "Running Sheep Tiny Worlds," "Running Sheep (Aliens)," Sid Meier's Pirates! 2K," "Foxtail," and of course the ScummVM app itself...all require either SwiftShader 2.1 or in a few cases 3-D Analyze to run.

You'd be 100% right if we were talking about, say, the 2012 ASUS. But with that quirky old Sony, normal rules do not always apply.
Strangerke
ScummVM Developer

Post by Strangerke »

@IndianaJones, cfr Hyperman.

I think you're wrong. There's that small EXE, there are DLLs, and there are ROC files which seems to have a MZ signature.
I'll have a real look at those ROC files, but if it's confirmed then the total of binary files is about 600Kb.

-Edit- Confirmed: those are also executables in disguise. So there are 13 executables ....
GateKeeper

Post by GateKeeper »

Fairy Tale About Father Frost, Ivan and Nastya

There are some serious issues with running this game on modern machines. I personally was lucky enough to encounter only a couple of crashes that were fixed by running the game in proper compatibility mode. Some other people have had bigger issues which have prevented them from completing the game.
Yellow_13

Post by Yellow_13 »

Well that game could be great as well, I didn't know it existed to be honest, but after checking a little, it'd be something I'd like to try!
Plus, I'll soon have to do a paper on the German real estate market, commercial or residential, articles like this will become my bedside stories for a while, so I'll have to wash it off my mind afterwards with some nice, relaxing, poetic point and click game.
jul16ares

Post by jul16ares »

B.A.T
B.A.T II
Operation stealth
Wing commander serie
Bloodwich
Jon God

Post by Jon God »

I'd thought on this recently.

While all 3 of these games are playable through other emulators, they come with issues:

Policenauts - Has mouse support, but most emulators don't even know there's a such thing as a PS1 mouse. Running it in ScummVM and having mouse support would be amazing.
Snatcher - The emulators all seem to have minor issues, and a mouse support version would be amazing.
Scooby Doo Mystery (Sega Genesis) - I've tried to play this on an emulator, but yee-gads, using buttons to move around the 'mouse' is painful. I can't play it for more than a few minutes.

And ones that are basically impossible to play these days:

The EA Kids library of games were all very basic but charming point and click adventures: https://www.mobygames.com/company/eakids

Other than that, I feel like ScummVM has covered all the wishes I had over the years, before I even asked for them.
Kasenshlogga

Post by Kasenshlogga »

DarkSeed 1 and 2 and Harvester :D
Blakes7

Post by Blakes7 »

1993s Dark Sun - Shattered Lands and 1994s Dark Sun 2 - Wake of the ravager. Both games came out quite buggy and would benefit alot from a scummvm implementation.

The early Ultima games should not be too hard to decompile. Akalabeth, Ultima 1, 2, 3, 4.

If World of Xeen is done then adding Might and Magic 1,2,3 should also be done. All the different versions of these games might make this trickier but it would be cool to see.

Betrayal at Krondor would be neat. Some annoying bugs in this one that were never patched.

The Tex Murphy games would be good to see. FMV goodness.

Heimdall and Heimdall 2 would also benefit as they are hard to get running.

The starflight games would be fun. Would love to see the different versions of this being supported as the dos version is barebones graphically.

Maybe add Eye of the Beholder 3 for completeness sake.
FN-2187

Post by FN-2187 »

It may be one of the most ridiculous suggestions here, but as it's a point-and-click game, I thought it deserves a mention it here:
Bifi Roll: Action in Hollywood, which was developed and released for free in Germany, for just one purpose: to promote Bifi Rolls.
But from what I've read so far about the game, "promotion" may be an understatement.

https://ogdb.eu/imageview.php?image_id=204453&limit=0

Physical copies of this game are rare (it was released on Floppy for Amiga and PC), but the game is free to download. I tried if ScummVM would be able to play this game, but needless to say, it doesn't. I would love to see it working on ScummVM some time. If those games are allowed here, tell me and I can provide a download link.

Another game that I would like to see is Labyrinth: The Computer Game by Lucasfilm Games. https://youtu.be/HjsV_lRazWM
Mustrum

Post by Mustrum »

Edna & Harvey: The Breakout (German: Edna bricht aus) would be great. 2D graphics, I think with Java engine. A long time ago I played Edna with Java under Linux.
Very humorous German dialogues (the English translation was not that good)

https://www.mobygames.com/game/edna-harvey-the-breakout
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Edna_&_Ha ... e_Breakout
https://wiki.ubuntuusers.de/Spiele/Edna_bricht_aus/
German Demo

The following game Edna & Harvey: Harvey’s New Eyes (German: Harveys neue Augen) is similar, but with the Visionaire engine.
(Games with Visionaire engine on Wikiepedia DE )
sev
ScummVM Lead

Post by sev »

WindlePoons wrote: Sat Mar 28, 2020 10:04 am Edna & Harvey: The Breakout (German: Edna bricht aus) would be great. 2D graphics, I think with Java engine. A long time ago I played Edna with Java under Linux.
Very humorous German dialogues (the English translation was not that good)
Very nice suggestion. I took a look at the engine, and it is indeed written in unobfuscated Java.

Eugene