Which games would you like to be supported on the future?

All the inane chatter goes in here. If you're curious about whether we will support a game, post HERE not in General Discussion :)

Moderator: ScummVM Team

sanguinehearts

Post by sanguinehearts »

bobdevis wrote:Come on now... breath and relax.

There is now way you can express to someone who never used a programming language how easy or hard something like a game engine is.
It doesn't matter in the end though. Something gets supported when someone finds the time and means to do it. No one needs to ever apologize for not doing it and no one needs to take this thread seriously anyway.
LOL, I guess my reply was a bit ranty.. Ive edited it a little.

It wasnt intended like that at all, I just wanted to give a reasonable answer.
clone2727
Retired

Post by clone2727 »

Serious Callers Only wrote:Is the Last Express going to be included in the main tree? I notice it is going forward lately, but as a side project.
It will be in the main tree when it has matured enough.
Julien
ScummVM Developer

Post by Julien »

clone2727 wrote:
Serious Callers Only wrote:Is the Last Express going to be included in the main tree? I notice it is going forward lately, but as a side project.
It will be in the main tree when it has matured enough.
Which is going to take quite some time (think several months to a year), given that almost everything is hard-coded.

Help is always welcome (programmers only at this time, there isn't much to test!) and since so much is left to do, there are still a lot of relatively easy tasks available. If anybody is interested, feel free to have a look at the list of tasks & issues (not a complete list BTW) and ask me, jvprat or clone2727 for commit access.
Serious Callers Only
Got a warning

Post by Serious Callers Only »

Tried to check out the code (as i said i wanted to check out dune and seeing how you handle other engines seemed like a good first step)

Was horrified by the 300 mb project. Gave up because i'm used to java project that compile relatively quickly. Even there the fix-compile-test cycle annoys me - i don't want to imagine how it would be in this shitty computer in a 300mb c++ project.
bobdevis

Post by bobdevis »

Then the first order of business should be to figure out how to properly remove and add engines.
All the engines combined are like 200MB. Kick them out of your little private port and view them (for reference only) with some other text editor.
Serious Callers Only
Got a warning

Post by Serious Callers Only »

I'd need to actually delete them i think.

I like using ide's and they parse everything by default.

I suppose there is a standard "common" namespace?
Davie Jones

Post by Davie Jones »

What about the games from Accolade
- Search for the King
- Altered Destiny
- Lost in LA

Anybody out there who already had a look at this games?

Just from viewing the recources file i assume that at last the majority of the game recources are not hard coded into the binary.
SuperDre

Post by SuperDre »

Davie Jones wrote:What about the games from Accolade
- Search for the King
- Altered Destiny
- Lost in LA

Anybody out there who already had a look at this games?

Just from viewing the recources file i assume that at last the majority of the game recources are not hard coded into the binary.
wow.. did a google on those files (knew them from long ago), but seeing the amiga versions I must say that I'm inclined to actually try to find those, they look sooooooooo much better as the dos versions.. I already thought someone had been working on them already..
john_doe
ScummVM Developer

Post by john_doe »

I had a look at these three Accolade games some time ago, sadly all the game logic is hardcoded which makes the whole process a lot more tedious.
Davie Jones

Post by Davie Jones »

Oh, that is bad! While the gfx are quiet easy to find i thought the parts that are obviously no gfx could be sound and logic. Seems that i was wrong!
Davie Jones

Post by Davie Jones »

While the Amiga Version of Search for the King looks better the der DOS EGA Version i would not recommend to buy and play the Amiga Version of Altered Destiny.

It is damn slow and the gfx are only EGA!
SuperDre

Post by SuperDre »

Davie Jones wrote:While the Amiga Version of Search for the King looks better the der DOS EGA Version i would not recommend to buy and play the Amiga Version of Altered Destiny.

It is damn slow and the gfx are only EGA!
Well, I just checked the amiga version using WinUAE and the Dos version, but the amiga version looks much better (but running it on WinUAE (default settings) on my 3Ghz P4 it took a long time before it started)..

but as said the game is hardcoded so without the original sources it will take a long time to implement :(
MusicallyInspired

Post by MusicallyInspired »

Just to clear things up, the DOS version has two modes. One in regular EGA and one in Enhanced EGA which is still 16 colours but each screen draws from a larger 64-colour palette. So the DOS versions are capable of looking nice too.
LordHoto
ScummVM Developer

Post by LordHoto »

MusicallyInspired wrote:Just to clear things up, the DOS version has two modes. One in regular EGA and one in Enhanced EGA which is still 16 colours but each screen draws from a larger 64-colour palette. So the DOS versions are capable of looking nice too.
That sounds strange to me AFAIK "regular" EGA already allows for 16 colors out of a 64-color palette being used, so I don't really see a difference to the "Enhanced" EGA mode you are talking about.

That said either the "regular" EGA version uses the standard 16 color CGA palette or I'm unsure what exactly the difference should be.
MusicallyInspired

Post by MusicallyInspired »

Yes. The regular EGA mode consists of the standard 16 colours in the CGA palette. That's the only colours it uses. Enhanced EGA uses colours from a 64-colour palette.

But don't most (all?) DOS games in EGA only use the standard CGA 16-colour palette?

Either way, Altered Destiny and Les Manley 1: Search for the King both have video drivers labled "EGA" and "Enhanced EGA".