Support: Scooby Doo Mysteries (Genesis)

All the inane chatter goes in here. If you're curious about whether we will support a game, post HERE not in General Discussion :)

Moderator: ScummVM Team

Morden

Post by Morden »

rented mule wrote:MI4 controls are equivalent in stupidity as driving a real car with arrow keys on the keyboard, up being moving the car north.
This actually didn't bother me that much, and I imagine those used to Alone in the Dark or Resident Evil games wouldn't mind the controls either.
ERKAN

Post by ERKAN »

Morden wrote:
rented mule wrote:MI4 controls are equivalent in stupidity as driving a real car with arrow keys on the keyboard, up being moving the car north.
This actually didn't bother me that much, and I imagine those used to Alone in the Dark or Resident Evil games wouldn't mind the controls either.
Well...holding space to aim your gun in RE4 did make me stop playing it after a few days!
But we're getting away from the point, is this game gonna be supported in ScummVM (The fact that this is a Sega Genesis game means nothing, cause the Sega CD version of MI is supported)
Should I contact SunSoft?
Longcat

Post by Longcat »

If you are going to do the work yourself of reimplementing the game, then yes. Otherwise, no.
Ravey

Post by Ravey »

Porting it to AGS would probably be easier. Would look nice with a Lucasarts style GUI! :o

Morden

Post by Morden »

It's not freeware, so it would be illegal to "port" it. And as for porting being easier, I wouldn't be so sure. The game is not too big, but it's not small either. Think of all the backgrounds and sprites, music and scripting, and you have a huge project on your hands, especially if you want to keep it faithful to the original.

AGS is a great set of tools but it doesn't do the work for you. You'd have to rip every single bit of graphics from the original game and then build everything from ground up. Sounds like a tedious task to me.
Ravey

Post by Ravey »

Yeah, getting permission to release something like that would be really difficult. I've been toying with it as a personal project in AGS though.
Last edited by Ravey on Sat Oct 31, 2009 8:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SuperDre

Post by SuperDre »

Morden wrote:And as for porting being easier, I wouldn't be so sure. The game is not too big, but it's not small either. Think of all the backgrounds and sprites, music and scripting, and you have a huge project on your hands, especially if you want to keep it faithful to the original.

AGS is a great set of tools but it doesn't do the work for you. You'd have to rip every single bit of graphics from the original game and then build everything from ground up. Sounds like a tedious task to me.
Well, since you won't have to deal with the graphix/music (as it's already ripped), the main thing would be the gamelogic, and even that isn't the most difficult task as you just have to make sure it does exactly the same as the original..
It would be easier/faster to port it to AGS than to implement it into ScummVM, hmm or not as you can just use another 'engine' as base (and in both cases you have to reimplement the logic itself anyway)..
But ofcourse at this time AGS is windows only (there is a linux/mac variant, but those aren't tested and some features do not work in those.. where even the linux port of ags is halted at the moment if I'm not mistaken)..

but in both situations, you need someone who wants to spend time on doing the coding...
ERKAN

Post by ERKAN »

SuperDre wrote: But ofcourse at this time AGS is windows only (there is a linux/mac variant, but those aren't tested and some features do not work in those.. where even the linux port of ags is halted at the moment if I'm not mistaken)..
Or he can just find a crossplatform engine for his game
You can look here: http://www.gcup.ru/ (Russian)
Use GoogleTrans and you'll be OK! :)
IMHO: Take a look at these engines:
Visionaire Studio (Shareware)
Point&Click Dev Kit
Mokoi Gaming (This one is crossplatform)
I tried Mokoi, I find it as easy as RPG Maker