Support: Scooby Doo Mysteries (Genesis)

All the inane chatter goes in here. If you're curious about whether we will support a game, post HERE not in General Discussion :)

Moderator: ScummVM Team

b0nd

Support: Scooby Doo Mysteries (Genesis)

Post by b0nd »

Has anyone had the thought of supporting this excellent game in ScummVM?

I know not many of you have played it, let alone heard of it, but I HIGHLY suggest playing it if you can find it. A lot of people have played the SNES version, which is an entirely different game so don't let that discourage you if that's the case. Also, don't let the other Scooby Doo games that came out afterward play with your judgment, this one's a GEM.

The cartridge contains two point-and-click adventures, Blake's Motel and Ha-Ha Carnival. I would definitely go as far as to call them LucasArts quality games.

I understand it's a Genesis ROM, but I figure if ScummVM can support the NES version of MM, maybe this could be a possibility?
sanguinehearts

Post by sanguinehearts »

Haha :) I remember Clem showed me screenshots of this game once.
Chances are without a developer who is willing to a) dump their own legal copy of the game b)reverse engineer the engine and c)reimplement the engine into ScummVM then the likelyness of this is quite low.

All of the above are quite a set of tasks and even if you could find a developer willing to do it. It is more than a case of just supporting it, whilst in an emulator you emulate the original game system, enabling many if not all games to be played. ScummVM focuses its efforts to the game specific code, enabling that game to be played.

With Maniac Mansion for the NES it was not a simple task, however as the Scumm engine was already in place it was less of a mammoth task to continue to add support for that.

Hope this helps
skotafactor

Post by skotafactor »

It does seem like a lot of work, but this game looks pretty cool. Hopefully it will pop up on ebay and I can snag it to use on my grandparents' genesis. The style of the game reminds me a bit of DOTT, but maybe that's just me. Oh, and there's an "eat" command, so it's got to be good.
Jon God

Post by Jon God »

I know this is bumping an ancient topic, but any progress with this on any front? It even been talked about?

I'd like to try this, but sadly it doesn't work very well on the emulators on my computer.

I can see how it might remind you of Day of the Tentacle.

sev
ScummVM Lead

Post by sev »

Jon God wrote:I know this is bumping an ancient topic, but any progress with this on any front? It even been talked about?
Can you imagine amount of work connected with adding new engine to ScummVM? We are talking about months of hard work here.

Eugene
Jon God

Post by Jon God »

sev wrote:
Jon God wrote:I know this is bumping an ancient topic, but any progress with this on any front? It even been talked about?
Can you imagine amount of work connected with adding new engine to ScummVM? We are talking about months of hard work here.

Eugene
I am not a programmer, but I could guess. Sorry, I didn't mean to be pushy or anything.
Morden

Post by Morden »

There is one thing I don't understand - There are numerous Sega Megadrive / Genesis emulators out there, and some of them offer a near perfect emulation. These are not exclusive to Windows PCs and you can find a MegaDrive emulator for most of the platforms. Dreamcast, PlayStation 2, Xbox, Symbian based mobile devices, Nintendo DS, PSP, etc. Not to mention Windows, Linux and Mac.

Not to mention MegaDrive / Genesis being dirt cheap on eBay. You can find one with a "Buy Now" option for $10. If you're lucky, you can win one for less than that.

ScummVM allows people to run adventure games on devices that couldn't handle the emulation. While you can play your LucasArts games on a mobile phone just fine, trying it via DOSBox on the same device just wouldn't work.

Having said that, I would like to point out one more time, that MegaDrive / Genesis is emulated almost flawlessly on many systems and there is no real need for ScummVM to support MegaDrive / Genesis games.

If you own a copy of Scooby Doo Mysteries, it's legal for you to dump the cartridge - make a backup of the game. If you're a Windows or OSX user, try Kega Fusion, and I'm sure you'll be able to play the game just fine. No need for ScummVM to support it.
ERKAN

Post by ERKAN »

It may be none of my business, but ScummVM was made to be able to run great adventure games on other platforms, so making this jewel work for ScummVM is possible, you need to contact the authors of this game, As far as I know, the main programmer was Matt Gilbert and it was developed by The Illusions Game Company. I think that this hq game must be in the ScummVM support list!
Mud

Post by Mud »

Morden wrote:ScummVM allows people to run adventure games on devices that couldn't handle the emulation. While you can play your LucasArts games on a mobile phone just fine, trying it via DOSBox on the same device just wouldn't work.
People want it because it's so much better to use the mouse rather than the arrow keys. :lol:
Graxer

Post by Graxer »

Support for this game would be cool. I haven't played this game, but from the screenshot I would say it would fit in really well with the other ScummVM games. However I realise that unless the original team behind the game supply the code, or someone is willing to work really hard on it, then it wont happen!
Morden

Post by Morden »

Mud wrote:People want it because it's so much better to use the mouse rather than the arrow keys. :lol:
How lazy can a person be? Haha. Years ago, I had a chance to play this game, and I thought the "mouseless" experience was ok. I don't know if I remember it correctly, but I think you could make the crosshair move faster if you held down a certain button on the controller.

Anyway, it's more plausible that Kega people add mouse emulation before ScummVM ever touches this title, so it might be a good idea to harass Kega coders a bit. Hehe.
ERKAN

Post by ERKAN »

Morden wrote: How lazy can a person be? Haha. Years ago, I had a chance to play this game, and I thought the "mouseless" experience was ok.
I agree, I pretty much liked to walk around with shaggy and I liked it more than the controls in Monkey Island 4 (Though I played it on my Sega MegaDrive so there is a reason why the controls are better!)
rented mule

Post by rented mule »

ERKAN wrote:
Morden wrote: ...and I liked it more than the controls in Monkey Island 4...
How hard can that be? MI4 controls are equivalent in stupidity as driving a real car with arrow keys on the keyboard, up being moving the car north.
clone2727
Retired

Post by clone2727 »

rented mule wrote:
ERKAN wrote: ...and I liked it more than the controls in Monkey Island 4...
How hard can that be? MI4 controls are equivalent in stupidity as driving a real car with arrow keys on the keyboard, up being moving the car north.
Well, the PS2 controls were not that horrible.
ERKAN

Post by ERKAN »

rented mule wrote: How hard can that be? MI4 controls are equivalent in stupidity as driving a real car with arrow keys on the keyboard, up being moving the car north.
I didn't try the PS2 version, but the PC version's controls were unusual to me (They just suck IMHO)