LucasArts considering to make adventure games and more...

All the inane chatter goes in here. If you're curious about whether we will support a game, post HERE not in General Discussion :)

Moderator: ScummVM Team

md5
ScummVM Developer

Post by md5 »

Use the force, Guybrush :P
scoriae

Post by scoriae »

clem wrote:
Ceri Cat wrote:Yeah well you can't go wrong when it's lego it seems. Lego stuff sells as well as Star Wars frequently, combine Lego with a Lucas property and you're guaranteed high sales.
Let's look forward to the graphical adventure game Lego Monkey Island! :D
I ... would... totally... buy that. After watching my daughter play lego starwars i fired it up one night and thoroughly enjoyed it. I bought Lego Indiana Jones the day it came out and it is also a blast. I can't wait for the Batman game - lol. There is a spot on sense of humor in those games that varies between slapstick and running jokes. Plus seeing things like little lego men get attacked by ghosts in the ark of the covenant, have their heart pulled out, eatin by crocs, chopped by lightsabers, or have their arms ripped out (a chewbacca favorite) just make my day.
lazylazyjoe

Post by lazylazyjoe »

Broken Sword was done nicely for PDAs and gba. It looked completely recoded though, so it wasnt a simple port. So, it has been tried recently. (not by LA though) I have no idea how well it sold though. Probably not well since BS2 never appeared.
I did d/l the demo for my zodiac and it looked and played well. However, it didn't make too much sense to buy since I could play the real game thru scummvm.
(yep, i'm a lurker)
Ceri Cat

Post by Ceri Cat »

Well the video appeared to just be rescaled smacker format in BS1. And beyond that I'm not too sure what was done, all of the screens were definitely downsized though, but that's a logical thing to do given a smaller display.

And the reason BS2 wasn't done could be that the publisher Bam Entertainment is no longer in business. They were delisted by NASDAQ back in 2004, they were already in trouble when they released BS for the GBA.
lazylazyjoe

Post by lazylazyjoe »

I only used the palm demo version and the cut scenes were just slideshows. It might have been different in the full version or on the GBA, but I never got ahold of either. The controls were nice though. You could select each object by hitting the direction button so there was no pixel hunting at all. And obviously, like you said, they had to alter the screen size. No voices either. But, I really think they did a good job.

I didn't know Bam had gone bankrupt. Revolution could still hire any other company to do BS2. They probably can't find a company willing to do the work for the little money expected to be generated from sales. Any GBA/DS developers here looking for some well underpaid work! There's an online petition to have it brought on DS, but there's only 1772 sigs after a year online so it doesn't look like interest is high enough. Even less to get excited about a chance of MI coming to DS. Better just stick with SCUMMVM!
Ceri Cat

Post by Ceri Cat »

Ugh developing for consoles and handhelds is not nice. It used to cost a base amount to develop a game for a console which makes it hard to get into, and frequently the company has say over what is published, and how much it'll cost. Sony did this, and I'm pretty sure Nintendo does as well.
joostp
ScummVM Developer

Post by joostp »

BS2 for GBA was actually developed shortly after BS1 and reached alpha/beta stage, but as no publisher could be found it was never completely finished / released.
Ceri Cat

Post by Ceri Cat »

And now they're doing BS for the DS.
joostp
ScummVM Developer

Post by joostp »

Ceri Cat wrote:And now they're doing BS for the DS.
...whose engine is an evolution from the BS2 GBA engine. ;)
Ceri Cat

Post by Ceri Cat »

Be interesting to see what use they make of the DS's setup.
scoriae

Post by scoriae »

I expect an inventory on one screen and game on the other... nothing groundbreaking.
Ceri Cat

Post by Ceri Cat »

I wasn't just considering the dual screens, though the touch screen has its advantages. There's a lot more to the DS than that.
scoriae

Post by scoriae »

most often though, except in unique first party titles, it is simply used to emulate a mouse. I doubt they will use the microphone or wireless or anything as that would mean modifying the game and/or puzzles.

not that i am against that or anything - I just don't have a ton of faith in anything beyond a quick port. Myst DS was horrid.