broken sword 1 saving problems on windows vista help

All the inane chatter goes in here. If you're curious about whether we will support a game, post HERE not in General Discussion :)

Moderator: ScummVM Team

pants

broken sword 1 saving problems on windows vista help

Post by pants »

Hello, I am having problems with saving games on broken sword 1 on pc, i am running the broken sword trilogy disc under windows vista. and everytime i try to save i get the following:

this was incredibly frustration as i only tried to save for the first time after playing the game for a while.

any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks in advance!
clem

Post by clem »

vista has the habit of setting the relevant folder to read-only

check write permissions on the path it shows or point ScummVM to an alternative save location where it can write to.
pants

Post by pants »

clem wrote:vista has the habit of setting the relevant folder to read-only

check write permissions on the path it shows or point ScummVM to an alternative save location where it can write to.
Hello again, i have tried both suggested ways and it still won't let me save. am i doing something wrong? and thank you for your time to help!
Cyphox

Post by Cyphox »

pants wrote:

Hello again, i have tried both suggested ways and it still won't let me save. am i doing something wrong? and thank you for your time to help!
have you tried the "my files" folder? or a subdirectory of it?
pants

Post by pants »

Cyphox wrote:
pants wrote:

have you tried the "my files" folder? or a subdirectory of it?
yay it works! thanks, now i am devote my life into playing the first 3 games in order now. thank you for everyone who helped!
fizzyfox

Post by fizzyfox »

Hey Pants,

I don't suppose you could give me a step by step guide on how you got saves to work on broken sword 1. I've had a fiddle with folders and scummvm but had no luck at all.

I got the trilogy boxset so everything is all bundled into one folder (Program Files/Broken Sword Trilogy)

I use XP but the games are on my wifes laptop, which runs Vista..I have NO idea about Vista hence needing to be walked thru the fix.

We both really wanna work our way thru these games again, so I hope you or someone else can help.

Thanks in advance!

Fizzy
fizzyfox

Post by fizzyfox »

Sorry for the double post but I found an easy fix...right click the exe and run it with administrator thing-gummy thing. Saves fine after that :)
brokensword87

Post by brokensword87 »

Hi, I am getting the same problem and I am on Vista also.. this is a screenshot I took but I do not know how to fix it as I am not that technical in computers.. could somebody please tell me what I can do to fix it?? thanks!! :)

Longcat

Post by Longcat »

try going to the path in the errormessage and right click on the folder. select properties and uncheck "Read only".

if that doesn't work, select broken sword in ScummVM, click "Edit game"->"Paths"tab-> set "Save Path" to a folder in "My documents" instead.
An1988

THANK YOU

Post by An1988 »

I was freaking out but you guys totally helped me out! Now I can play safely knowing every little thing will be saved :) thaaaanks! :D
kyuuketsuki_kurai

Update?

Post by kyuuketsuki_kurai »

Hi, I know this is an old post, but I got this to work while letting it save in it's original place. Since I didn't see mention of it, I thought this might be helpful to others trying to play the Broken Sword trilogy on Vista. This isn't to say the other solutions are bad, mind you.
I bought the DVD release the other day, and after fussing with it a few minutes, I discovered the easy solution.
In Vista, go to the properties of the game (the shortcut will work fine), and set this to run as Admin. This allows it to save where it likes.
Sorry if this isn't proper. I read the rules, and saw no mention of how old to bump. I figured the thread to post it in, since this is the tread that shows on Google.
Lighter7

Re: Update?

Post by Lighter7 »

kyuuketsuki_kurai wrote:Hi, I know this is an old post, but I got this to work while letting it save in it's original place. Since I didn't see mention of it, I thought this might be helpful to others trying to play the Broken Sword trilogy on Vista. This isn't to say the other solutions are bad, mind you.
I bought the DVD release the other day, and after fussing with it a few minutes, I discovered the easy solution.
In Vista, go to the properties of the game (the shortcut will work fine), and set this to run as Admin. This allows it to save where it likes.
Sorry if this isn't proper. I read the rules, and saw no mention of how old to bump. I figured the thread to post it in, since this is the tread that shows on Google.

Thanks man, i love old games that use scumm and i havent played broken sword in years and i was hurt when i couldnt save it when i just bought it again today.
What you say works!! just annoying you buy something you think it would work, lol. Only thing is that there is now a odd sign in the corner of the shortcut, but o well it works never-the-less.
maddermofo

Post by maddermofo »

Hi guys,

I installed the BS trilogy on my PC. When I open the game from the shortcut on my desktop, it runs fine, but when I try to save the game it won't allow me. I changed the save path in Scumm VM and it works but it will only allow me to access the save-able version of the game, if you get me, through the Scumm VM programme, and the problem with this is that you can only play it in a small window. It works OK but is there any way I can play it in a big window and maybe without having to access it through Scumm VM every time??!! Thanks
eriktorbjorn
ScummVM Developer

Post by eriktorbjorn »

maddermofo wrote:I changed the save path in Scumm VM and it works but it will only allow me to access the save-able version of the game, if you get me, through the Scumm VM programme,
I'm afraid I don't understand what you mean.
maddermofo wrote:and the problem with this is that you can only play it in a small window. It works OK but is there any way I can play it in a big window and maybe without having to access it through Scumm VM every time??!!
You should be able to change scaler and/or fullscreen mode with the hotkeys described in the README file. If you find any combination you like, you can make the change permanent with the Edit Game... dialog.
Red_Breast

Post by Red_Breast »

Alt+Enter changes between windowed and full screen.

I'll eat my shorts if that's not in the readme.
(a quick check shows it's under hotkeys 5.5 - I know EULAs are boring but readmes are full of info worth...reading)

That first part you quoted erik- I think the person has a save game of BS made whilst playing the game with the original Revolution interpreter.
Next he/she is trying to load that save game whilst playing BS using ScummVM.
I think.
If so maddermofo then I'll add here that the 2 types of save games aren't compatible.

Maddermofo the 3rd BS game cannot be played with ScummVM but for the first 2 I suggest you uninstall them if you have installed. Then make 2 folders (sword1 and sword2) and then using the readme and the wiki, which says which files you need, copy the files straight from the disc to each game's folder. Then add them with the ScummVM menu.
And read the readme!